User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode to Blood Bank, Pulse too high...

Sent Home.

Hi everybody.

Other day, rode 12 miles to the local Red Cross Blood Center, as is my usual.

After about twenty minutes, my pulse was above 110
    Five minutes later, 108, aboe the 100 upper limit.

BP was okay 130/70, 120/70 is about my usual.

I am out of shape, not having ridden much lately and also fatter than ever, above 210.
    I know I need to get more exercise and lose weight, no questions there.

Wierd thing is I felt fine, even when my pulse was elevated.
    No idea what my current resting pulse rate is.

Thoughts?
    Smart Ass Cracks?

Jeff, still fat - and way out of shape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago I stopped giving blood. My reason was that they wouldn't take it anymore because my blood pressure was too high. A couple of decades later, I finally decided that I wanted to get fitter since it was starting to intefere with my ability to enjoy my interests.

The result of six months of cycling? Resting heart rate has dropped from 110 to 68. My blood pressure now averages about 125/74, I will not mention what it was before since most wouldn't believe it.

In short, if your happy with your life, don't sweat it. If your not, simply ride more and get in better shape. Either way be happy with your choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been sent home after trying to give blood during a stressful day at work. at least you can blame yours on exercise

now i have to answer "have you ever been turned away..." when i give blood
    Quote Originally Posted by powers2b View Post
    BF does not have the answer to what you will be happy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ridden to give blood before? Do you ride home after?

I rode after giving blood this summer and even though the skin was healed all the way, the vein wasn't. After 2 miles I noticed that my arm felt funny, so I looked down to see that I had a huge mass of blood under my skin. It took like 3 weeks to heal.

12 miles is really far to ride after giving blood.
    "I have no idea what I'm doing... but I know I'm doing it really really well."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat biker View Post
    Smart Ass Cracks?
    No, way too easy.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode to work, then over to the donor site in hot weather. They couldn't get the blood flowing (dehydrated) and that shot my stress level higher. That was over a year ago, I need to try again.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of years ago I had to get the BP checked daily. Doctors is about 1 mile away and the first day I drove to the surgery- BP was higher than they wanted. Next couple of days I walked and BP was acceptable. Next day I drove again and it was high. Next day I went on a 5 mile ride and then went to get it checked. BP was way down.

But they never checked the pulse.- good job they didn't as I reckon it did not drop below 120 on the days I did not use the car. And on the days I used the car I may have been stressed out by having a 10 minute walk take 20 minutes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink more Red Bull.
    Eat more fried chicken.

Perrier and cucumber sandwiches is the sign of a wasted life.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchL View Post
    Have you ridden to give blood before? Do you ride home after?

I rode after giving blood this summer and even though the skin was healed all the way, the vein wasn't. After 2 miles I noticed that my arm felt funny, so I looked down to see that I had a huge mass of blood under my skin. It took like 3 weeks to heal.

12 miles is really far to ride after giving blood.
    Mitch,

Yes, I have donated before (they just cannot get enough O negative)

I usually ride both ways, so yes, 12 mile ride after donating. No problem.

Jeff

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchL View Post
    I rode after giving blood this summer and even though the skin was healed all the way, the vein wasn't. After 2 miles I noticed that my arm felt funny, so I looked down to see that I had a huge mass of blood under my skin. It took like 3 weeks to heal. ...
    Subcutaneous hematoma is a major concern following blood donation, which is why they advise against weight lifting for 24 hours. Bicycling is probably OK unless you are using your arms heavily, as in out-of-saddle climbing.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Subcutaneous hematoma is a major concern following blood donation, which is why they advise against weight lifting for 24 hours. Bicycling is probably OK unless you are using your arms heavily, as in out-of-saddle climbing.
    Yeah I learned the hard way to take their advice seriously. I was using my arms alot to get more power climbing hills. It was a long healing process. And even though I didn't actually injure the muscles or anything, it felt like a real bruise and my arm was sore the whole time.
    "I have no idea what I'm doing... but I know I'm doing it really really well."

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try some deep breathing or meditation before you go to donate next time? Or ride a bit slower on your bike (cruising pace) so your heart rate doesn't get so elevated.

I started getting turned down because my iron was too low. I would take iron supplements the week before and I still was too low. Finally one of the nurses noticed my hands were cold and she had me warm them up and I scored high on the iron range. I haven't had any problems since because I always make sure to warm my hand before they stick me for the iron test.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    www.ci.encintas.ca.us - I'm in Carlsbad.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a 6-gallon donor, but I finally had to quit because it took 3-4 days before I could ride without keeling over. If blood doping is the opposite of what I felt after donating, I want some!

Anyway, if you pulse doesn't go down at least into the low 90s within a few minutes of getting off the bike and sitting down to rest, then there's something going on. Too much Red Bull, or possibly a heart problem. I'd at least monitor it, and see a doc if it doesn't clear up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are regular donors, but since last December, have been unable to donate because of the trip we took to the Dominican Republic. Only certain parts of the island preclude you from donating, and sure enough, the resort we were at is on the list.
    We'll be able to donate again in mid December, so long as we don't contract malaria in the meantime.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I'm a 6-gallon donor, but I finally had to quit because it took 3-4 days before I could ride without keeling over. If blood doping is the opposite of what I felt after donating, I want some!

Anyway, if you pulse doesn't go down at least into the low 90s within a few minutes of getting off the bike and sitting down to rest, then there's something going on. Too much Red Bull, or possibly a heart problem. I'd at least monitor it, and see a doc if it doesn't clear up!
    Thanks Blazing Pedals,

I will certainly be paying attention and will bring it up with my doc just as soon as I have medical insurance again.

Jeff, still fat and now featuring a higher pulse rate