Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To all of us who know it all.........

While riding today it dawned on me that I'm finally using the measurements the folks who fitted me to a bike almost 10 years ago tried to persuade me to go to. Instead of listening to the expert advice that I paid for, I tended to opt towards the advice of a close cycling friend and I rode the largest frame conventionally available. It seemed okay to me-except for the visits to the Ortho because of shoulder issues and knee issues.

I'm now riding two bike frame sizes smaller and narrowed my bars down a couple sizes from a 46 to a 42.

Good thing I have a college education, a number of professional certifications and a pretty good analytical ability. If not for that it probably would have taken 2-3 times as long to actually do what was the best thing for me.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What really counts is the stuff that you learn after you already know it all.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was between a 56 and a 58. I opted for the 58 because the seat height in relationship to the bars was slightly lower than on the 56. I had been riding a hybrid and found more comfort with less body angle. Stem angles and stack height could have compensated for this issue.

I definitely like narrower bars. I use 40 cm bars. I believe you actually get more drag improvement by going narrow than by going lower.

A smaller frame should have a weight advantage.

I did heed the advice of the fitter, but maybe I should have gone with the 56.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I rode the largest frame conventionally available.... I'm now riding two bike frame sizes smaller... .
    What motivated you to choose the larger bike in the first place? Colour? Components? Price?

I once watched a person pick a nice coloured jersey off the rack, then choose a bike that matched the jersey.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    What motivated you to choose the larger bike in the first place? Colour? Components? Price?

I once watched a person pick a nice coloured jersey off the rack, then choose a bike that matched the jersey.
    My first bike was a 62 and it was probably price and availability. A LBS was selling out at ridiculously low prices and it was the only road bike left...but it wasn't a bad fit with some adjustments. In fact I rode 62's for 7-8 years--did lots of centuries on them.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably erred in the opposite direction. I always got the smallest frame that would fit. Fortunately, my proportions are pretty regular (6'1" w 34" inseam), but I once had a 57 cm frame (they didn't make a 58) with a less-than-56 cm top tube. So I was using a 14cm stem and wondering why the bike handled a little funny. I guess my riding styled resembled Sean Kelly's, but not as upright.

After a few more bikes, I was fitted by a racing coach, and ex-national champ. All the measurements were already dead-on!

L.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my wife says - you can always tell an engineer, you just can't tell him much.
    I don't even bother with the fitter, I save that time and expense because I won't listen anyway...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.