Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To all of us who know it all.........

While riding today it dawned on me that I'm finally using the measurements the folks who fitted me to a bike almost 10 years ago tried to persuade me to go to. Instead of listening to the expert advice that I paid for, I tended to opt towards the advice of a close cycling friend and I rode the largest frame conventionally available. It seemed okay to me-except for the visits to the Ortho because of shoulder issues and knee issues.

I'm now riding two bike frame sizes smaller and narrowed my bars down a couple sizes from a 46 to a 42.

Good thing I have a college education, a number of professional certifications and a pretty good analytical ability. If not for that it probably would have taken 2-3 times as long to actually do what was the best thing for me.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Hase Kettweisel Tandem (redundent recumbent), Merin Bear Valley (The gopher).
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What really counts is the stuff that you learn after you already know it all.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was between a 56 and a 58. I opted for the 58 because the seat height in relationship to the bars was slightly lower than on the 56. I had been riding a hybrid and found more comfort with less body angle. Stem angles and stack height could have compensated for this issue.

I definitely like narrower bars. I use 40 cm bars. I believe you actually get more drag improvement by going narrow than by going lower.

A smaller frame should have a weight advantage.

I did heed the advice of the fitter, but maybe I should have gone with the 56.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I rode the largest frame conventionally available.... I'm now riding two bike frame sizes smaller... .
    What motivated you to choose the larger bike in the first place? Colour? Components? Price?

I once watched a person pick a nice coloured jersey off the rack, then choose a bike that matched the jersey.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    What motivated you to choose the larger bike in the first place? Colour? Components? Price?

I once watched a person pick a nice coloured jersey off the rack, then choose a bike that matched the jersey.
    My first bike was a 62 and it was probably price and availability. A LBS was selling out at ridiculously low prices and it was the only road bike left...but it wasn't a bad fit with some adjustments. In fact I rode 62's for 7-8 years--did lots of centuries on them.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably erred in the opposite direction. I always got the smallest frame that would fit. Fortunately, my proportions are pretty regular (6'1" w 34" inseam), but I once had a 57 cm frame (they didn't make a 58) with a less-than-56 cm top tube. So I was using a 14cm stem and wondering why the bike handled a little funny. I guess my riding styled resembled Sean Kelly's, but not as upright.

After a few more bikes, I was fitted by a racing coach, and ex-national champ. All the measurements were already dead-on!

L.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my wife says - you can always tell an engineer, you just can't tell him much.
    I don't even bother with the fitter, I save that time and expense because I won't listen anyway...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.