Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-30-10, 04:13 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Total Failure.......

I changed the bars on my Prince from a 46 to a 42. Since the cables were about 18 months old I decided to take the opportunity to change those at the same time. I thought I was smart to cut the cable and just leave the ends in the RD and FD so I could make sure to rethread those correctly.

I thought it might take an hour to replace the bars, rethread the cables and retape the bars. I've done some faster.

However this was my first experience with Campy Ergo shifters. It was also my first experience rethreading the rear brake cable back through the top tube.

The cable in the Ergo shifters make a really sharp turn after threading it into the shifter and just before leaving the shifter. After numerous attempts I never could figure out how to get the cable to make that turn and get it into the hole leaving the shifter. I even damaged one cable beyond repair trying one approach.

In addition, I never could get the brake cable rethreaded back through the top tube. Surely there was a guide tube inside the top tube for the cable????

So, after almost 3 hours of I put all my parts in a box and took them to the LBS where I'd bought them sheepishly asked them to put it back together for me. When I get time I've got to find out how they did it.
Old 10-30-10, 04:22 PM   #2
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Does the cable housing go through the top tube or just the cable?

If the cable housing goes through you use the old cable to guide the new cable housing through the top tube and then just run the new cable through the new housing. There's two or three tricks for routing a bare cable through the tube. If you position the frame so that the exit is on the bottom, gravity will make the process a lot faster and easier than you'd imagine.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 04:29 PM   #3
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
I don't think anyone ever, in the history of bicycles, got stuck on a job and had to take all the pieces to the LBS for them to sort things out.

You are the first.
skilsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 04:47 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
As far as the internal cables are concerned, not sure about the prince but my bikes have guide tubes. As far as the ergo shifters - what I found is you need to visually line the cable up as you feed it through - you need to look up into the hole otherwise you will never get there, you will just keep fraying the ends.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 05:53 PM   #5
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
I spent ages trying to get a cable into a Shimano lever once ... then discovered that if you put it in the right gear, the hole was uncovered and it went in easily

The other side went together much more quickly

Richard
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 08:06 PM   #6
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Never cut the cables until after they are fully routed; lesson learned?
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 03:03 AM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
These are the hazards of owning exotic new-fangled equipment. Bu teven for old-fangled stuff, for so many things like that there is just no substitute for experience and also doing it regularly to remember how we did it!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 07:07 AM   #8
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
These are the hazards of owning exotic new-fangled equipment. Bu teven for old-fangled stuff, for so many things like that there is just no substitute for experience and also doing it regularly to remember how we did it!
Yeah, and nobody knows everything. Stuff that's really elemental to one guy can utterly mystify another, equally intelligent person. I'm pretty good with things that have chains and sprockets but I can't post pictures on BF because my camera makes the files too big and I don't have the motivation to learn to resize them. I'm OK with that.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 08:35 AM   #9
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Does the cable housing go through the top tube or just the cable?

If the cable housing goes through you use the old cable to guide the new cable housing through the top tube and then just run the new cable through the new housing. There's two or three tricks for routing a bare cable through the tube. If you position the frame so that the exit is on the bottom, gravity will make the process a lot faster and easier than you'd imagine.
The cable housing stops outside the top tube. I "wasn't thinking" when I pulled the brake cable through and realized I might have messed up after pulling it all the way out. It was too late to use the old cable to pull the new cable through as well. I think my Cervelo has guide tubes inside the frame so I "assumed" this bike would also. I'll remember the gravity trick next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
As far as the internal cables are concerned, not sure about the prince but my bikes have guide tubes. As far as the ergo shifters - what I found is you need to visually line the cable up as you feed it through - you need to look up into the hole otherwise you will never get there, you will just keep fraying the ends.
There is not a problem getting the cable routed into the shifter-it's hard to visualize but once the cable goes in to the shifter it makes about a 45 degree change change in an open "guide" and then is threaded into the exit hole. I need to find out how the LBS did it. One thing I tried was threading the cable all the way in and then threading the cable into the exit hole and pull it all the way through. That "kinked" the cable and made it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
I don't think anyone ever, in the history of bicycles, got stuck on a job and had to take all the pieces to the LBS for them to sort things out.

You are the first.
That was the same thing my LBS told me......
Old 10-31-10, 09:03 AM   #10
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
You can find youtube videos now that cover just about anything you'd want to do with a bike (some of the more questionable stuff is on pay sites!), some even put there by manufacturers (I like Campag's videos on how to overhaul their Ergolevers).

I recall that feeding a new derailleur cable on an Ergolever is dead simple and can be done with the lever (and rubber hood) on the bike, once you see how it's supposed to be done. But it's something you forget real fast and have to relearn each time.

L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 04:05 PM   #11
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
I have found out that at 6' and 185 lbs that I'm normal. Everytime I think that I'm different from the "norm" I pay the price. Be it bike fit, clothing choice, gearing or training I always go back to what the experts say, and they are always correct.