Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    TMB
    TMB is offline
    Permanent Refugee ....... TMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC.
    My Bikes
    Steel
    Posts
    1,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    OT - Snowblowers.

    I need help, of the snowblower variety.

    My wife is putting pressure on me to buy a snowblower this winter and I know nothing about them. I looked at them a number of years ago and never did buy one, which means that I have never had to try and figure out where to store the darn thing for the other 9 months of the year.

    However, sometime this spring I tore a rotator cuff, and in spite of dedicated effort to get it behind me, I still get a lot of pain from the darn thing. Combine this with a La Nina winter and the long term forecast that says we are likely in for a 100 year snowfall - Mrs. TMB is telling me my preferred snow removal method - a shovel - is out.

    So ...

    First off, our snow here is generally pretty light. Not of the wet and heavy variety.

    Are electrics any good at all? If so, any specific recommendations for makes or models??

    In the gas powered camp - please tell me I dont have to go to the 36 high wheel monsters. Do the smaller ones with a 20 or 24 inch maw still do the job reasonably well?

    I admit I covet my Father in Laws - but only because its the biggest SOB on the block - no wheels - it has tracks (!), and two headlights and a weather cab. Probably overkill for what I have to deal with, but still .....

    So good people - I presume some of you have these infernal things, any directions??

  2. #2
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an '8-horse' Troybilt, 22" cut with foreward and reverse and electric start. I bought it about 12 years ago and I only use it when my shovel gets overwhelmed.

    You want electric start!!!

    My '8-horse' has never bogged down. Light snow or heavy snow plow wet cement type snow is no match fo this little machine.

    My input;
    *Get gas powered electric start...plug it in, start it up, blow snow.
    * Eight horse power should be enough to handle just about anything.

  4. #4
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak highly enough of my MTD 5horse 24" wide two stage snow blower. No electric start, no headlight, hand crank to change blower direction...it's very basic but I've had it ten years and it just keeps going and going. I live in Alaska, but not in a serious snow belt. I've already had it out to do the driveway once...and I use it to cut a path to my steam bath about 75 feet from the house. It regularly has wood sticks get stuck in the second stage but even that has failed to cause any problem. If you regularly get snow deeper than a foot and a half at a time, you probably want something bigger, but if your snowfall is limited to about a foot or so at a time, a 24" 5 horse should do you well. Of course a more powerful machine will cut through the snow faster. Space and money considerations aside, a bigger, more powerful blower is a good thing....

  5. #5
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a two stage Toro 26. Works great, all the gadgets but my wife and daughters won't use it. I was away last year and my wife went out to Walmart and bought an electric blower, don't know the make but dang that thing throws the snow. I actually preferred using it to mine. I doubt it will last more than a couple of years but at $180, who cares.

  6. #6
    Senior Member CHAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Silverthorne, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live at 9000 feet in the Rockies.
    A neighbor took his teenage daughter to California.
    There the young lady saw a lawnmower and inquired as to what it was.
    Then she said,
    "Oh, its like a snowblower."
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

    Homophobia is so gay.

  7. #7
    Senior Member mulveyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In the wilds of NY
    My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Posts
    1,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I need help, of the snowblower variety.

    My wife is putting pressure on me to buy a snowblower this winter and I know nothing about them. I looked at them a number of years ago and never did buy one, which means that I have never had to try and figure out where to store the darn thing for the other 9 months of the year.

    However, sometime this spring I tore a rotator cuff, and in spite of dedicated effort to get it behind me, I still get a lot of pain from the darn thing. Combine this with a La Nina winter and the long term forecast that says we are likely in for a 100 year snowfall - Mrs. TMB is telling me my preferred snow removal method - a shovel - is out.

    So ...

    First off, our snow here is generally pretty light. Not of the wet and heavy variety.

    Are electrics any good at all? If so, any specific recommendations for makes or models??

    In the gas powered camp - please tell me I don’t have to go to the 36 “ high wheel monsters. Do the smaller ones with a 20 or 24” inch maw still do the job reasonably well?

    I admit I covet my Father in Law’s - but only because it’s the biggest SOB on the block - no wheels - it has tracks (!), and two headlights and a weather cab. Probably overkill for what I have to deal with, but still .....

    So good people - I presume some of you have these infernal things, any directions??
    For what it's worth, a snow thrower is NOT what you want to use if you have any sort of injury like a torn rotator. Even the smallest gas powered ones are heavy, and you'll do a fair amount of heaving it around in any sort of significant snow.

    Here in my part of upstate NY, we generally get 100-120 inches of snow per season, often in storms that will drop up to 3 feet at a pop of very wet, heavy, lake-effect snow. My 8HP thrower with 26" scoop is more than enough to handle it.

    But again, if you're not in condition to move 80 to several pounds of machine around in inclement conditions, spend a few hundred bucks to get a seasonal contract for someone to plow your driveway for you.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Daren71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 5
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    I can't speak highly enough of my MTD 5horse 24" wide two stage snow blower. No electric start, no headlight, hand crank to change blower direction...it's very basic but I've had it ten years and it just keeps going and going. I live in Alaska, but not in a serious snow belt. I've already had it out to do the driveway once...and I use it to cut a path to my steam bath about 75 feet from the house. It regularly has wood sticks get stuck in the second stage but even that has failed to cause any problem. If you regularly get snow deeper than a foot lnd a half at a time, you probably want something bigger, but if your snowfall is limited to about a foot or so at a time, a 24" 5 horse should do you well. Of course a more powerful machine will cut through the snow faster. Space and money considerations aside, a bigger, more powerful blower is a good thing....
    x2 This is exactly what I would have said about mine.

    A 2 stage, dual stage is the only way to go. The little single stage 2 strokes are a pain, the electrics are weak at the best of times.

    Good luck, Daren

  9. #9
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,116
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a two stage Craftsman, 9 hp, 26", self-propelled, electric start, with a light. It lets me clear our double, 50' driveway in about 20 minutes. Best thing is, after the City plows the street and creates a 2 to 3 foot icy berm across the driveways, I can clear that in about another 20 minutes. THAT takes about an hour by hand, on a good day!

    It clears down to about a 1/4 inch height, but at that height the sun can evaporate the rest.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe this thread went this far without the obvious reply. If your wife wants a snowblower, tell her to just go buy the one she wants to use.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  11. #11
    train safe buelito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reston, VA
    Posts
    801
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before you buy it you need to move to my neighborhood to guarantee there will not be significant snowfall...

    train safe-
    ____________________________________________________
    avatar is on Flagstaff Mtn, Boulder, Colorado--on the fixie--

  12. #12
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,178
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    I can't believe this thread went this far without the obvious reply. If your wife wants a snowblower, tell her to just go buy the one she wants to use.
    Back up 5 posts from yours..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo Ooo, get a red one.

    Mine's a red one and it works really great!!

    just sayin'



  14. #14
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a timely thread as I'm hunting a snow blower, too. My two snow shovelers aren't around this winter. One is getting married and the other will be working and going to college. Guess I better buy a snow blower since I hate using that shovel. I'll be reading this one with lots of interest.

    Next spring we can discuss riding lawn mowers
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  15. #15
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAS View Post
    I live at 9000 feet in the Rockies.
    A neighbor took his teenage daughter to California.
    There the young lady saw a lawnmower and inquired as to what it was.
    Then she said,
    "Oh, its like a snowblower."
    My bro lives off the peak to peak at 9K - He bought an old Oshkosh from the Corp of Eng. It has a 6 cly diesel on the back that just runs the blower. I think it's at least 3 or 4 screws high.
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

  16. #16
    Senior Member xizangstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Posts
    1,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, you're posting in the 50+ department so you're no longer a kid. I have an age-appropriate suggestion for you: MOVE TO PHOENIX.

    No need for snowblowers. Or snow shovels. Or tire chains. Or windshield ice scrapers.
    Who is John Galt?

  17. #17
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think mulveyr had a point. If darling dear is worried about your torn shoulder, as you both should well be, then a snow blower is probably not a good thing. I have two torn rotator cuffs myself (both shoulders...). I'm good enough now (after a cortisone shot) that I can do snow blowing, but swinging the machine around and pushing it around when it gets stuck, can be a strain and great care does need to be taken. So snowblowing has a real risk. What you need is an ATV with a winch and plow. I'm dead serious here. THAT is the way to plow snow when you have a bad...anything.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have much in common. Torn rotator cuff here also.

    I have a small shrine built to my snowthrower in my garage. 30+ year old Toro 8 hp. If you are going to get one go for a gas 2 stage discharge. Electric start is also a good thing as most of them plug in to an extension cord(no battery to maintain) The thing may sit for a year but when the big one hits you will be praising the genius that thought of buying the thing.

  19. #19
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I have an '8-horse' Troybilt, 22" cut with foreward and reverse and electric start. I bought it about 12 years ago and I only use it when my shovel gets overwhelmed.

    You want electric start!!!

    My '8-horse' has never bogged down. Light snow or heavy snow plow wet cement type snow is no match fo this little machine.

    My input;
    *Get gas powered electric start...plug it in, start it up, blow snow.
    * Eight horse power should be enough to handle just about anything.
    This is fine advice, though 8 horse wight be a little overkill in some cases. It depends on how big your property is. I'd also suggest a four cycle engine to avoid tedious mixing of oil/gas. +1000 on electric start.

    As to the rotator cuff... get it surgically repaired ASAP. It is well worth the trouble.

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  20. #20
    Senior Member guybierhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oley, PA
    My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Posts
    878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the heavy handling. My snow blower is self propelled, but only goes straight. I have to muscle it left/right to turn. May be those track drive models have steering? Mine is a 5HP , dual stage, 20 inch Sears model. Worked great till second stage belt stretched. Sears replacement belt was even bigger? Shame you don't live closer, I could give it to you. I no longer need, moved into a 55+ community which includes snow removal and grass cutting. And conversely more bike time.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

  21. #21
    bumpersoar bumperm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minden, NV
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 6.9, Trek 5000
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus View Post
    I second the heavy handling. My snow blower is self propelled, but only goes straight. I have to muscle it left/right to turn. May be those track drive models have steering? Mine is a 5HP , dual stage, 20 inch Sears model. Worked great till second stage belt stretched. Sears replacement belt was even bigger? Shame you don't live closer, I could give it to you. I no longer need, moved into a 55+ community which includes snow removal and grass cutting. And conversely more bike time.

    I have a 28" Honda track drive and a Toro 28" too. Nope, the Honda doesn't have steering and is harder to turn than the wheeled Toro which has a lever to unlock the wheels for horsing it around a bit easier. However, the Honda does throw snow further than the Toro, has better tractionm, and is better made.
    bumper

    '08 Trek Madone 6.9
    '09 Trex Fuel EX 9.8
    '05 Husky A1-B
    '03 Schleicher ASH26E

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save your money... Hire a 40 year old (or two twenty somethings). Easy on the back - hard on the pocketbook.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  24. #24
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check snow removal services. Or a nice trailer for your father in law's monster. <G>
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  25. #25
    Senior Member social suicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette
    Posts
    647
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get 185 inches of snow on average. Two years back to back we got over 300. Most of the time I use a snow scoophttp://www.silverbear.biz/ but when I'm in a hurry I use my trusty Husqvarna. In my neck of the woods there are only two brands that work. Husqvarna and Ariens. The nice thing about the scoop is you never have to lift the snow. You do need to plan in November where April's snow is going to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •