Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60, nearly broke, single and car free?

some of you may remember me. i have a rhoades car, an ez-1 recumbent, a Trek City bike and now a folding Dahon 7 speed, suitable for the bus. LA County allows this vehicle INSIDE all
    buses and trains regardless of locale within LA county.

i was the fellow who chased a woman to Germany and thought i would live there for life til she went "hyper-critical" and got cold feet about marrying me even though my monthlies and my assets were 4 times her own.

so, i returned to the US and am finding it tough sledding. I have repairs to my car before i can even SMOG it, then $100 to Arnold for
    CA tags and i just do not see re-registering this car. It is 20 year old Honda, in decent shape otherwise... but... I am hanging out with some fairly understanding liberal folks and have a girl friend if you can call her that. i find women over 50 so damned confounding. But why should they hang with a poor man, even if he is educated with advanced degrees. I figure maybe this woman will still be my friend even if i out myself as CAR FREE. (euphemism for women's ears for
    HOBO JOE! i am afraid...) I took her to Los Angeles for a great time on the Bus and Lightrail this weekend but somehow i just do not see this continuing. Even then i had to drive my car 20 miles to catch the
    Lightrail from her front door.

anyone out there have a sustainable social life and getting what he-she needs in the way of love and affection, a life, a future... by being car free? I am afraid i am at the point of going over the edge
    into complete and utter loserville, what say you?

any helpful hints besides the CAR FREE forum? Most of those
    dudes are stud muffins about 24 with more energy and good looks
    than money and i just turned 60 and still have not found a suitable woman for a life partner. (see Ned playing the world's smallest fiddle for himself.... ;o)

ned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been wondering what became of you.

Well, I can sympathize with you in that I'm in a similar situation.

So far in Arkansas, it hasn't been too much of a problem. Other hurdles have been higher for me than being car-free. Mostly I have been concentrating on other issues though like improving my health, career and financial issues so I haven't had much time or resources for women.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 11-03-10 at 02:49 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not car-free, but I hardly ever use the car. All my gf's have cars, and they usually drive where we need to go (or let me drive). I'm not rich, but I've got more dough than I know what to do with (been on two holidays by air, one by car, one business trip by air this year). (It helps when you're not tempted to buy n+1; I'm extremely happy with the simple bike I use most of the time and that has S&S couplers and travels with me wherever I go.) House is paid for, car has long been paid for, everything is paid automatically each month, I'm thinking of buying a boat to live on, I go to the opera and I never worry about getting partners to accompany me (I always buy two seats).

Rather than whine about what's wrong, I think it's much better to think about what's right, and to count your blessings, living in the wealthiest place in the world, with the most opportunity, free to do whatever you want within the law, as long as you don't hurt others. If the gf doesn't like that you're car-free, she's not worth it. Probably a gold-digger.

L.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 53 and have been car-free for over 10 years.

I find it really helps to weed out the gold diggers quickly. I'd rather stay single than have someone want me for my wallet and pension. I have two exes who were like that. Never again.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'd discuss this with Dr. Hartman if I were you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    My kind of social worker.

For the OP, why not just rent a car for the night on the BIG dates?
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

Oh, and OP? When you meet a woman you like, tell you are proud to have made a life-style decision in being car-free, but DON'T suggest she have some "minor cosmetic alterations."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    car free in LaLa land has gotta be a tough sell on middle age women. Good luck.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happily married for 56 years . . . to the same great little woman!
    Seems like you may have some issues.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedgoudy View Post
    anyone out there have a sustainable social life and getting what he-she needs in the way of love and affection, a life, a future... by being car free?
    Yes, me.

helpful hints besides the CAR FREE forum? Most of those
    than money
    Um, what? I'm there, and I'm 55 and female. My impression is that young people are a minority in the car free forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only 25 but I wouldn't want to associate with anybody who looked down on somebody for being car-free! Maybe you are just living in the wrong part of town / the wrong city / etc.? In Portland being car free = WAY more "cool" than driving around. Just some food for thought...

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move someplace where cars are not needed to go out. Inner city NY, DC, Portland come to mind.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post

Oh, and OP? When you meet a woman you like, tell you are proud to have made a life-style decision in being car-free, but DON'T suggest she have some "minor cosmetic alterations."
    Oh stop. I was just kidding, anyway.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zonatandem, Congrats on your marriage!

nedgoudy, Mid life crisis? If someone likes you, they like you. If they don't like you, someone probably will.

Brad

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live being "car free" usually means you have more than one DUI. Not having a car to go somewhere is a scary concept. I admire those who can make those kind of lifestyle changes.

When I was growing up my father thought I was too immature to drive at 16 and made me wait until I was 18 yrs old. I took my driver's test the same day as a brother who was 2 years younger. My brother drove me back to the testing office two weeks later where I passed the written test I failed the first time.

I was able to find girlfriends who drove cars during those hard times. Possibly due to my stunningly good looks and athletic abilities.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of you may remember me. i have a rhoades car, an ez-1 recumbent, a Trek City bike and now a folding Dahon 7 speed, suitable for the bus. LA County allows this vehicle INSIDE all
    buses and trains regardless of locale within LA county.

i was the fellow who chased a woman to Germany and thought i would live there for life til she went "hyper-critical" and got cold feet about marrying me even though my monthlies and my assets were 4 times her own.

so, i returned to the US and am finding it tough sledding. I have repairs to my car before i can even SMOG it, then $100 to Arnold for
    CA tags and i just do not see re-registering this car. It is 20 year old Honda, in decent shape otherwise... but... I am hanging out with some fairly understanding liberal folks and have a girl friend if you can call her that. i find women over 50 so damned confounding. But why should they hang with a poor man, even if he is educated with advanced degrees. I figure maybe this woman will still be my friend even if i out myself as CAR FREE. (euphemism for women's ears for
    HOBO JOE! i am afraid...) I took her to Los Angeles for a great time on the Bus and Lightrail this weekend but somehow i just do not see this continuing. Even then i had to drive my car 20 miles to catch the
    Lightrail from her front door.

anyone out there have a sustainable social life and getting what he-she needs in the way of love and affection, a life, a future... by being car free? I am afraid i am at the point of going over the edge

than money and i just turned 60 and still have not found a suitable woman for a life partner. (see Ned playing the world's smallest fiddle for himself.... ;o)

ned
    Sheesh, ya livin man!!

There are peeps that would give a million dollars to have a free and spirited mindset like yours..

I am 70, and I will tell you this, at 60, I was free, single, kinda broke. Well, I am still kinda broke, but life took a big turn toward big fun at 60.. What I am telling you is, there is a whole wonderful new world out there past 60 years old. And you got the wisdom to enjoy it. That is something we didn't, or at least I didn't have in my younger years.. Sheesh, I am looking for upgrade in fun at 70!! ..

Keep that free spirit, don't turn into a stuff shirt, and don't be afraid to go for it,...

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ned, Start bicycle touring.
    Lots of us geeks and weirdos do it.
    And it kind of gives you an excuse for being a loner.

PS Sounds like your stable includes a couple nice rides.
    Be happy with that.

PPS And if you meet an attractive woman, invite her to your house so you can show her your chain whip. Or get into a long explanation of the benefits of synthetic lubricants.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ned
    Well, don't take offense to this but have you considered counseling? Usually health insurance will pay for it if you can get diagnosed with something in the DSM (which isn't hard). Tell them you have suicidal ideation (which could be true) and they won't ignore you. I really think you could benefit from professional help. You problems have nothing to do with being car-free.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to use a car for work. Bit difficult cycling to customers to sort their problems with all the Tools and Tech sheets to get them up and running again.

But I do not use a car outside work now. Trips to the town and I walk the 1 mile. Want to get out on the bike and I have a choice of several. If I have to travel more than 30 miles in my social life I either don't go or get a lift with someone else. So I class myself as Car free- whenever possible.

And Finances are going to be hard for a year or so. I retire in just over a year and the pension will pay for my needs- but not the occasional bill like House repairs or N+1 that may come along. So I am living very frugally right now. Seems as though I will have to work on for extra year so I can get enough money to retire safely.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post

Would that be like a guy in a 6+X tee shirt with ( No Fat Chicks ) on the back of it.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wink View Post
    Would that be like a guy in a 6+X tee shirt with ( No Fat Chicks ) on the back of it.
    That would be one instance.
    Disclaimer: My remark regarding alterations was not aimed specifically at the OP, just a general rule of thumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been 'car-free' for twenty-five years (how time flies). I just never really think about it - my city has a great transit system, and I bike or walk everywhere. It sure frees up cash for other stuff. Cars to me are just so... passe. Plus they're needlessly complicated and over-engineered and totally geeky. To me they're disposables to rent once in awhile to get to a trailhead, take a girl for a weekend trip, or maybe take a driving vacation as I did recently in Arizona.

As far as dating etc. goes, don't present yourself as 'car free' - it's really not a lifestyle, any more than labelling yourself 'smoke-free' or 'dolphin-friendly' - you're a guy and you are what you are, end of story. And make sure that she NEVER equates your not owning a car with being cheap. I must say though, from what I understand being without a car in LA may make you appear a little eccentric, especially to women of our generation!

Um, come to think of it, the 'bent and the Dahon are a little eccentric, too... women love SUV's, so I would suggest something with knobby tires and a few good stories of riding in South America or the Yukon. And for god's sake, no blinky lights on your helmet.
    Last edited by NVanHiker; 11-07-10 at 12:11 AM.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy doesn't need counselling. He's just got a downer on him at the moment. We all have them. He's not on his own. Finding a good woman these days is hard work. My sons say it's even worse when you are young as young women are only interested in how much money you can spend on them.
    Evidently. Rich beats handsome.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you had 4X the assets and monthly income of that gal in Germany, but are now nearly broke, she must have been near the poverty level! sounds like you got back to a better part of the world...

one thing you could do is move out of that depressing state of California (although i just paid $114 for a one-year tag for my truck here in lower, slower Flori-DUH [have to have a vehicle for hurricane evac] - i'm going to write the new governor and ask for a $20 rebate because i'll show him how to save a $1 million on DMV costs in 2012 [not mandate the issuance of a new plate and tags when renewing for two years])

:-)

seriously though, maybe you need a change of scenery and lifestyle?

keep riding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast