Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulled the trigger...

After nearly two months and several test rides, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport. I was sorely tempted to get a Roubaix, but really could not justify spending a lot more when the differences in ride quality are really minimal, IME. I did not like the 25mm "All Condition" stock tires,since they seem a little sluggish, but after a couple of rides I find I'm not really any slower than I was on my Trek 1500. Still, the first modification will be to replace the stock tires with some GP4ks, then I'll see about flipping the stem. LOL I think I can match the ride quality of the Roubaix with the GP4ks.

Here she is, posed in front of the obligatory white garage door. Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pic. I'll post a better shot later.

1031001732..jpg
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Niiiiccee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Specialized does make some really pretty bikes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike. Enjoy riding it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A real beauty! Love it and ride it well!
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schweet!
    Mabye go with a 0 degree stem? I think a flip would be a bit extreme(it would be for me anyway).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    Schweet!
    Mabye go with a 0 degree stem? I think a flip would be a bit extreme(it would be for me anyway).
    Well, my comment about "flipping the stem" was a little tongue-in-cheek. The stem comes with shims that allow multiple angles. I think it's at 24-degrees stock, which is comfy for sure, but I'll probably change it to near neutral over the next few weeks. I sure don't need an aggressive riding position with my lower back problems.

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike, enjoy!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast looking bike, whatís itís average speed? GP4K are great tires in lieu of additional Zertz on the Roubaix. Now a word about the bottle cage, unless the image distorts the color, it looks pinkish.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    horatio, There is a real satisfaction difference when using a set of tires you like, congrats on your new bike.

Brad

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride, cool saddle
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Fast looking bike, what’s it’s average speed? GP4K are great tires in lieu of additional Zertz on the Roubaix. Now a word about the bottle cage, unless the image distorts the color, it looks pinkish.
    Sorry for the poor pic quality. The bottle cage is red. I'll post a real photo sometime after it stops raining here in SC.

BTW, have you seen the purple Roubaix pics in the road forum?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking ride. I've used the Specialized stems with the variable adjustments in the past, and they do provide some ability to play around with fit.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Nice looking ride. I've used the Specialized stems with the variable adjustments in the past, and they do provide some ability to play around with fit.
    NOS88, any useful tips for working with the shims would be appreciated.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    Well, my comment about "flipping the stem" was a little tongue-in-cheek. The stem comes with shims that allow multiple angles. I think it's at 24-degrees stock, which is comfy for sure, but I'll probably change it to near neutral over the next few weeks. I sure don't need an aggressive riding position with my lower back problems.
    A stem flip as it is might be a bit aggressive but don't think the back "problem" will a "problem" with a lower set of bars. Too many of us here have been surprised how a longer, lower stretched out ride position can help some back problems. I know I was.

My first road bike had saddle to bar heights about the same as you currently have and it was never really comfortable. The next bike was set up by the LBS-with the bars 4" below the saddle. I had my doubts but they said ride it. I was wrong.

Most of my riding is on the hoods in any case (Like most of us) so the ride position is not as drastic as it seems but going into the drops for a headwind- downhill or if I want speed is just as comfortable.

Nice bike by the way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    NOS88, any useful tips for working with the shims would be appreciated.
    No really useful tips other than take the hex wrench with you on rides and try different locations until you find one you like.

With any new bike, I always take at least 3 or 4 adjustment/dial it in rides. These rides are planned as rides with lots of stops and adjustments. However, I only ever do one item at a time. If one ride is aimed at the seat another will be used to dial in the handlebars.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Most of my riding is on the hoods in any case (Like most of us) so the ride position is not as drastic as it seems but going into the drops for a headwind- downhill or if I want speed is just as comfortable.

Nice bike by the way.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    These rides are planned as rides with lots of stops and adjustments. However, I only ever do one item at a time. If one ride is aimed at the seat another will be used to dial in the handlebars.
    Good advice. One item at a time is the plan. I think the saddle will be first, but I won't know for sure until my first extended ride, hopefully this weekend. Seems to need a little upward tilt at the tip.

I appreciate all the replies.
    Last edited by horatio; 11-04-10 at 05:08 PM. Reason: addendum reply