Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter Road Bike Shoes Suggestions

Looking to buy a pair of good quality Winter cold weather riding bike shoes. Suggestions please. Price really not a factor but my feet froze in 30 degree weather here in ohio.
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not interested in neoprene booties? I find that they keep my feet warm even at 0 to 5 degrees F.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Not interested in neoprene booties? I find that they keep my feet warm even at 0 to 5 degrees F.
    I recently purchased a pair of these and they help slightly but my feet still tingle when i come back from 1 hour riding in the mornings. Was just currious if there is such a thing as warm winter road cycling shoes?
    Trek Fuel EX9.0 Trek Fuel EX9.5 Trek Equinox 9.9SSL TTX Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Red Project One, Trek Boone 7, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Carbon District

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    +1 - get shoe covers and expedition weight fleece socks, Don't know about 0 to 5 but I stay warm into the low 20s
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try something like this, but you should try them on at a brick & mortar first.

*click on Hydro...

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake boots

http://gearjunkie.com/lake-cycling-winter-biking-boots

Good to -10. Maybe lower. I haven't tried below -10 yet.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lake winter boots and love them. I've also found that buying a pair of regular cycling shoes about one size too large, wearing a couple pair of wool socks with a chemical toe warmer between the socks keeps my Ohio toes toasty warm
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    Lake boots

Problem is that Lake seems to have dropped the three-hole model from the lineup this year. The two-hole one is the only one on the web site.

That said, they're so nice it's worth investing in SPD pedals just to use these boots.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use comfortable summer shoes with waterproof shoe covers once it gets cold. But here in southwestern BC, low temps in winter may be minus 10 C, or about +23 F at their coldest.

L.

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting my third winter with Sidi's Hydro GTX Winter Road Shoe. I love 'em.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Northwave Farhenheit are good road boots too, and relatively lightweight. You can go one size larger than your regular shoe but, I would not recommend two sizes since you will likely not be able to set the cleat back enough for your optimum position. Are they better than a road shoe with wool sock and shoe cover? Well I don't know. The boot is probably better by just a few degrees. The fact is, once you have a wool or insulative sock then and a shoe cover, then you are effectively insulating your foot and blocking the wind. That's pretty much all the boot does with the exception of providing some degree of protection from water ingress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Lake boot fan here. They are fantastic boots and worth the money. Note that in my experience they tend to run a little small. I bought a size larger than I normally wear and was happy that I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another Lake user. Bought them a size larger to wear with heavier socks. Found this combo good into the 30s (I'm a Californian, so it rarely gets below the high 20s here).

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a HUGE fan of my Specialized Defroster BG MTB boots.

- Warm but not too hot -- I don't think they're quite as warm as the heavy duty Lake boots, but they are warm for me down to the teens, with warm socks. Too hot abover 50 degrees
    - Waterproof up to about 3 hours in steady rain -- after that they will start to let in some water if it's wet (I wear Goretex socks under them on really wet days)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sealskinz socks and overshoes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
    Lake boots

+1
    Prior to moving to CA, I lived in Maine. I used a pair of the Lake winter boots, a size larger than my usual shoes, and two pair of wool socks. Kept my toes toasty warm and dry down to 0 F - 0 was my cutoff and I didn't ride when it got colder than that, but my guess is that my feet would have been fine down to colder temps.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedde View Post
    I'm starting my third winter with Sidi's Hydro GTX Winter Road Shoe. I love 'em.
    I think these are the ones I am leaning on buying. I have LOOK Peddles and it appears they will fit the bottom pattern..? Did you buy one size larger or just your regular size?

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the Performance Neoprene booties in NE Ohio with good results for temps under 40. Over 40 temps I wear toe covers.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400041
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmogul View Post
    I think these are the ones I am leaning on buying. I have LOOK Peddles and it appears they will fit the bottom pattern..? Did you buy one size larger or just your regular size?
    I bought my regular size and they fit perfect with Gator neoprene socks over a pair of med wool. The ad mentions that these shoes are slightly over-sized for this reason.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these wool fleece-lined Vittoria shoes, but I'm still pretty much a slotted-cleat type of guy: