Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-06-10, 06:33 AM   #1
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mountains of Misery 2011

So this week I got an invitation from VaTech in the mail to talk about my research work - the same week the 2011 Mtns of Misery ride will be held. Would be a great excuse to add in a little cycling into a long trip. This is also about 3 weeks before the 2011 Whiteface race - so maybe I could consider it a good "toughen up" exercise, although they are completely different kinds of rides.

I know there are a few folks here who make this their yearly event. I have not ridden those roads since the early 70's when I went to school there. That last bit up to Mtn Lake is pretty tough as I recall.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 06:39 AM   #2
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
jppe is your man on this one. I haven't ridden this yet, as it's usually the weekend after Assault on Mt. Mitchell (Monday), and I'm still trying to recover. I have another friend from the Raleigh / Durham area who rode it this year and said it was a terrific ride and route. Tough but doable. He wants me to go ride with him next year. Then there's Brasstown Bald somewhere in those three weekends...so many decisions!
PAlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 03:18 PM   #3
buelito
train safe

Bikes:
I have ridden MoM five times-- once the century, and every time since has been the double metric. The last hill is brutal (applies to both rides)-- but it is not the steepest, nor the longest. It is a matter of placement-- your legs are beat by the time you get to it, and it is a tough climb.

I would definitely encourage you to sign up for the double metric. You do 4 major climbs (as opposed to 2 on the century). That includes the longest climb of the day (first major climb--straight out of a rest stop) and the most rural, which is a beauty--and very steep. Since roughly 10% of the field does the double metric, you don't have to deal with crowds (except the first 20 miles or so where the routes are the same). THey send you off in groups of about 100 spaced a few minutes apart, so there is no real issue with crowding.

train safe-
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 03:34 PM   #4
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
NealH and I did it this year. We did the century (104 miles). On that route, most of the riding is over nice rollers with two notable exceptions. John's Ck is probably only 2 miles at it's worst but it is a fairly continuous steep grade. The last climb on Salt Pond Mountain Rd. comes at mile 100 and averages just under 12% for 3.5 miles and ends at the finish. We enjoyed the ride, the organization and the scenery was great. It was a bit too hot for me this year but I survived and will probably ride it again.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote