Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cateye selling product with known defect!!

How does this strike you?

This is the online manual for my new light.

I was out riding this am early and my light started flopping around as I hit bumps.

Came home and started investigating and found the following. Loctite says not to use it on plastic - the screw is metal and the receptacle for the screw is plastic.

By the way - it is a bit challenging taking things apart and tightening a screw in pitch black, with only the light for light!

Sigh - and I just ordered another one!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's so defective about that? It's a pretty common warning for most parts used with vibration. The hitchmount used to carry a bike rack on a car also has the same warning. Common sense says that one must check parts form time to time.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I don't buy or recommend Cateye.
    I had a Cateye headlight on my commuter bike a few years ago. It would wiggle every time I hit a bump. After about 6 months the mount broke. I looked at it and saw that the mount was very thin plastic. Too thin to last for very long on the bike of the typical commuter. I ditched it and bought a Planet Bike light.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    What's so defective about that? It's a pretty common warning for most parts used with vibration. The hitchmount used to carry a bike rack on a car also has the same warning. Common sense says that one must check parts form time to time.
    Gotta disagree.

It is one thing to check parts from time-to-time. I do that. It is another thing to sell a product that is known (and designed) to fail. It should be designed not to fail, and then one should check it from time-to-time.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a big yellow embossed stencil on top of the light - "This light mount will vibrate loose, check mounting screw frequently."

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped using Cateye bike computers when I found they were just too easy to reset. You'd go to check your mileage and everything would disappear because you hit the wrong button. Poor human engineering.

I use Planet Bike lights because the models I use share the same mounts, they work in the rain for the most part (I always carry an extra light in the backpack), and they are bright enough.

I'm not surprised by the poor engineering of the mounts. I used a Light and Motion LED light for awhile until the mount broke off completely. Very poor! Piece of crap, so much for L&M!

L.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a variety of Cateye LED lights - I've appreciated that most of the mounts work for most of the lights. This summer, I did note my headlight bouncing up and down a little on bumps on a ride to work. Indeed, that previously-mentioned screw was loose. Now that I am aware of the issue, it's not a problem.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even my expensive Use Exposure lamp will come loose if you do not tighten the fixing screww tight enough. Difference is- my lamp is all metal--I tighten as hard as I can and it has not come loose once. Just tightening the clamp for the bars on some lamps and I have stripped the threads. Metal into plastic does not work unless there is a metal nut bonded into the plastic.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is a surprise? Name one corporation that has released a problem free product.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctyler View Post
    And this is a surprise? Name one corporation that has released a problem free product.
    Generally, when discovered, they correct the problem through a recall or redesign, rather than publishing how the consumer should correct it themselves.

Suppose GM wrote in a manual - "We find that with significant use the wheels fall off of your car. Please be sure you tighten the wheel nuts after significant use."

I find the acquiescence to shoddy uncorrected design and the emphasis on the consumer correcting the problem by responders to the OP to be - well - - - amazing!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a screw loose for as long as I can remember and I'm just fine just fine just fine.

"Generally, when discovered, they correct the problem through a recall or redesign," My experiences with Ford Motor Co. in regards to these issues greatly influenced my move to driving Toyota vehicles over 10 years ago. All companies manufacture or design defective units. It seems to me that some companies put their lawyers to work on protecting their pocketbooks and other companies put their engineers to work on resolving the issue and then satisfying all the affected customers. I prefer to do business with the later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I've had a screw loose for as long as I can remember and I'm just fine just fine just fine.

"Generally, when discovered, they correct the problem through a recall or redesign," My experiences with Ford Motor Co. in regards to these issues greatly influenced my move to driving Toyota vehicles over 10 years ago. All companies manufacture or design defective units. It seems to me that some companies put their lawyers to work on protecting their pocketbooks and other companies put their engineers to work on resolving the issue and then satisfying all the affected customers. I prefer to do business with the later.
    LMAOROF!

Using Toyota as a model of dependability and is pretty funny stuff. Recall , Recall,Recall!.............

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

Loctite might help you.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the tiny screws in anything use a drop of clear nail polish in the threads or use loctite plumbers teflon paste sealer on the threads for a secure hold that can be removed when needed.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I always carry at least a small flashlight when out riding at night, for just the reason you encountered. It's a major pain trying to fix a broken light when that light is the only one you have. Recently, I've been especially pleased with this little light. It's on my key chain all the time. It even has a tiny switch to hold it in the "on" position.

http://www.photonlight.com/pages/Pho...FdJL5Qodfwk6Qg
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Denver, I always carry at least a small flashlight when out riding at night, for just the reason you encountered. It's a major pain trying to fix a broken light when that light is the only one you have. Recently, I've been especially pleased with this little light. It's on my key chain all the time. It even has a tiny switch to hold it in the "on" position.

http://www.photonlight.com/pages/Pho...FdJL5Qodfwk6Qg
    Strange as it may seem, I had already ordered a 2nd identical light to mount on the bike for just such a reason - and for a better view of the trail. So, I will mount the defective light and be sure my multi-tool has a Phillips Head screwdriver.

My utility road bike also has two separate lights, as above. Different brand, though. These were internet cheapies - $10 - and they work better than the cateyes.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I stopped using Cateye bike computers when I found they were just too easy to reset. You'd go to check your mileage and everything would disappear because you hit the wrong button. Poor human engineering.
    You don't even have to touch the computer for that to happen. My Cateye would periodically reset, and of course always during a ride where I wanted the totals. Getting it going again is a cumbersome process, but one I had to memorize. I finally replaced it with a Garmin.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    The 2006 vintage Cateye Astrale was still correctly showing the 13,000 miles I had put on my Corsa until I changed the battery last year (newer ones aren't supposed to lose the odometer total even then). It takes a push on the button on the back side of the computer to reset the odometer and a push of two buttons at once to reset anything else. I'm not sure how anyone would accidentally reset anything on it.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 11-09-10 at 10:53 AM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    The 2006 vintage Cateye Astrale was still correctly showing the 13,000 miles I had put on my Corsa until I changed the battery last year (newer ones aren't supposed to lose the odometer total even then). It takes a push on the button on the back side of the computer to reset the odometer and a push of two buttons at once to reset anything else. I'm not sure how anyone would accidentally reset anything on it.
    With my Cateye (V2C) the total mileage didn't reset when it acted up; just the data for the current ride. It would be beep, and be on the screen for setting the time and time format. Once I did the settings, it would come back just as it would be if I had ended a ride and saved it, but the current ride would be lost, not having been added to the totals.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."