Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Guy Fawkes Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Fawkes Day

I was giong to ask Sir Stapfam for a penny for the Guy but I see I'm a couple of days too late. Oh,well,I'll get him next year if I remember in time.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that we completely ignore Guy Fawkes Day in Canada. Oh well.

L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Funny that we completely ignore Guy Fawkes Day in Canada. Oh well.

L.
    We don't celebrate it in Florida, either. I don't know why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually one of the local volunteer fire departments puts on a fireworks show every year in celebration of Guy Fawkes day. Hearing the fireworks going off tonight is what reminded me to ask fo a penny.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry- 5th November was Guy Fawkes day but it was raining so a lot of Firework parties last night and there will be plenty more tonight-And next weekend as the weatheris going to be wet tonight.

And with inflation- it's a Fiver for the guy now (5)
    But locally we have Lewes- the county town of Sussex. They have the biggest Bonfire night -probably in the world. 40,000 visitors to the town

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/?fx=...event_id=83559

We have a lot of Bonfire societies in Sussex so Bonfires and Firework displays have been going on for a month or so. Seems every local town now has it's own Bonfire society with Plenty of Events going on for months.

May be that I am getting past it but I prefer to stay indoors and keep the dog company. Never was the case as I have the largest garden in our road so used to invite all the neighbours round for the street bonfire. All the families and their mates and relations. Gave us a chance to get rid of all the "Burnable" rubbish lying around and you can imagine 60 people trampling all over your garden and wrecking the lawn. But the Wifes pool went up where the bonfire used to be so for the last couple of years we just had a B-B-Q and rireworks. After the first year of Sqinny fizz-bangs we made a rule. Only one firework but a good one. It got very competitive and the males used to hunt out the best firework they could get. You imagine 20 Dads spending 50 on one firework that would be loud- last at least a couple of minutes and give a good display----But they did not get just one. One year one dad got some "Display" Mortars that required a 3" drainpipe to launch them. They were loud but that was due to the fact we only had 4" piping and they did not get the height that they were supposed to. Only got to about 200ft instead of 500.

But This year I had to cancell it. Too much rain in the last 2 months and the garden would have been ruined. Still- there's always Mid summer's day next year. Any excuse to annoy the neighbours that don't want to join in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to show you what Lewes is like- This is one of the 6 "Lewes" society displays from Nov 5th. 2009.

http://www.southoverbs.com/2009video.html

There is a lot of competition for the best Firework Display and on the night you have the Lewes societies vying for top honours. These are "Home Made" Fireworks- or at least they are not professional displays so a lot of Gunpowder goes into this side of the Event.

The right hand video shows the standard of display that is expected. I have paid good money to see far worse displays than this one so you can see why Lewes is clased as the best Guy Fawkes Night in the UK.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is the celebration for what he attempted, or the fact that he failed?
    And since the fireworks are "home made", do you have a lot of friends called "Lefty"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back then, my family was no friend of the crown, so I guess I should celebrate him as a hero. Either way, any excuse for fireworks is a good one.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy Fawkes was applauded by some- but as he got caught- he paid the price.

But History is complicated. There are so many events that we have that are not recognised as significant but one thing Guy has done is that he is immortal. Every kid in the UK will know his name after their 3rd birthday but a few facts about him are shown in the link below.

http://www.tenfactsabout.co.uk/051108guyfawkes.htm

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    There are so many events that we have that are not recognised as significant but one thing Guy has done is that he is immortal. Every kid in the UK will know his name after their 3rd birthday but a few facts about him are shown in the link below.

http://www.tenfactsabout.co.uk/051108guyfawkes.htm
    Well, I guess my ancestors would not have approved of Guy Fawkes. They left for the colonies after Charlie II got angry that they had been signer's of Charlie I's death warrant. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.