My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local Cyclist Dies

http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/2010...ist-kille.html

When I read this in the paper I couldn't believe it. I ride this section of road several times a week and it's because I feel relatively safe on it. It's a smooth, newer section of road with no cross traffic and very few driveways. I had to see for my self...and it wasn't pretty. Run down from behind the debris field is about 150' long. From the impact point to the final resting point had to be 75'. It was a clear bright sunny day. Rumor has it that the driver was an off duty police officer from another town. I happen to know several people that work for that department and I have put out the question as to what happened because the article is so vague and it's a good thing I saved the link because it appears to have been pulled from the paper. I also know the mayor of our town (who also rides) and asked him for more details. He said all he knows was from the initial email stating there was a fatal, but he will also look into it.

I took 4-5 pictures of the scene but I don't think it would be proper to post them here. Very sad...this is too close to home for me.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's horrible.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes me sad and mad, there is no reason that this should have happened other than negligence on the part of the driver. The first thought that crosses my mind is texting while driving. We have a law in Oregon which outlaws driving and talking or texting with a hand held cellphone, but it's not followed, I see it all the time.

Sorry to hear this, I hope justice is found, this is a crime.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how upset you seemed this weekend when we rode the lake and you mentioned the accident. Wile we try to talk light hearted about such things the thought is never far from our minds knowing how fast the traffic is on some of the roads we ride.

My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Live every day as though it is your last , for one day you are sure to be right"- Harry "Breaker" Morant from the movie " Breaker Morant. Another quote from the movie- " We all have a date with the executioner".
    Very sad . We just never know when a day may be our last.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of non graphic pics to get a feel for the road.

This is taken from the point of impact. There is a brown trash can looking thing on the grass ahead, that's where the rider ended up.

My truck marks the point of impact and the brown can is just to the left of the frame. About half way between my truck and the final resting point is where his bike ended up, as well as his helmet, glasses, hat, right shoe...all marked by the orange paint in the road.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
    "Live every day as though it is your last , for one day you are sure to be right"- Harry "Breaker" Morant from the movie " Breaker Morant. Another quote from the movie- " We all have a date with the executioner".
    Very sad . We just never know when a day may be our last.
    I've always said I would rather die on my bike than sitting in front of the TV, but somehow this makes it a much more serious statement.
    Mark

My Bikes
    2011 Diamondback Citi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of who was at fault or who did what, I want to express my condolences to his family and friends.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a One Way Road?
    Great Pics.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Is that a One Way Road?
    Great Pics.
    Yes, it's a divided road with an island in the middle. The bike lanes are huge in this section, perhaps even too big as to give the impression that it is a car lane. Notice my truck fits in the bike lane.
    Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Yes, it's a divided road with an island in the middle. The bike lanes are huge in this section, perhaps even too big as to give the impression that it is a car lane. Notice my truck fits in the bike lane.
    That is what I was thinking....too Wide, but such a nice road.
    I have never seen one that nice with the bike lane.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking Guy:

http://donsbikeshop.com/

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the bike lane as a break down lane doubling as a bike lane, either way motorists shouldn't cross the solid white line. Sad, tragic event as it likely could have been easily avoided.

surgeonstone, Morant also used "Rule .303" less philisophically.

Brad
    Last edited by bradtx; 11-07-10 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling...again

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to see this. A man out for a nice ride on a nice path that looks safe, and it turns out to be his last day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    This makes me sad and mad, there is no reason that this should have happened other than negligence on the part of the driver. The first thought that crosses my mind is texting while driving. We have a law in Oregon which outlaws driving and talking or texting with a hand held cellphone, but it's not followed, I see it all the time.

Sorry to hear this, I hope justice is found, this is a crime.
    So do we here in California, but I see it all the time. The local news did a story a few weeks ago about the prevalence of drivers still talking or texting on a hand-held phone while driving. One man said he does it all the time, and talked as if it's a habit he can't break or has no control over --- then adding "It's only a matter of time....." Until what?!? Until you tap the bumper of the car in front of you ------ or kill a pedestrian or cyclist? It seems they think the worst that will happen is a fender bender followed by the car in the shop for a couple of weeks and a slap on the wrist.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know what the victim was wearing, color wise, or if he had any daytime lights on the back of the bike? It seems like the driver just ran him down from the back.

I often wonder how many drivers do/don't notice me because of my Hi-viz clothes and two Planet Bike blinkies.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible. I just don't see how a driver could hit a cyclist on a road like that unless the driver is distracted or intoxicated.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a case of another distracted driver. What's the speed limit there? Looks like he must have been going at least 40.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    Looks like a case of another distracted driver. What's the speed limit there? Looks like he must have been going at least 40.
    40mph is correct.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Do you know what the victim was wearing, color wise, or if he had any daytime lights on the back of the bike? It seems like the driver just ran him down from the back.

I often wonder how many drivers do/don't notice me because of my Hi-viz clothes and two Planet Bike blinkies.
    I started riding with little LED blinkies, front and rear, about 6 months ago. I too wonder if it makes a difference or is it just peace of mind to me. I don't know what he was wearing, although he was a serious cyclist so I imagine it was a bright kit of some type.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding with two cyclists from Yucaipa yesterday and we talked about this senseless tragedy, wondering if we would make it through our ride without yet another close call or worse. I remember seeing an electronic sign in NYC that displayed a continually updated number for the national debt. Seems like we could use one of those displaying the number of cyclists hit, run off the road, or killed by distracted drivers. In California, we have those Amber Alerts and road closure notices on electronic freeway signs - wouldn't hurt to post a reminder every time another cyclist is hit. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Here are a couple of non graphic pics to get a feel for the road.

This is taken from the point of impact. There is a brown trash can looking thing on the grass ahead, that's where the rider ended up.

My truck marks the point of impact and the brown can is just to the left of the frame. About half way between my truck and the final resting point is where his bike ended up, as well as his helmet, glasses, hat, right shoe...all marked by the orange paint in the road.
    Holy ****. The distance thrown, pushed, dragged, whatever...makes me ill thinking about it.

My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    I can see the bike lane as a break down lane doubling as a bike lane, either way motorists shouldn't cross the solid white line. Sad, tragic event as it likely could have been easily avoided.

surgeonstone, Morant also used "Rule .303" less philisophically.

Brad
    I remember that. The way that was brought out in the trial scene was a marvel of editing, like a ***** being chambered, aimed and fired. Not to digress but back to the subject.. I hope I will be as fit and happy appearing as this man was. In looking at the bike lane and how beautifully constructed, you would think this kind of accident could be avoided. I wonder what the driver was doing that caused this accident.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So incredibly sad to read, I too often wonder how many drivers are distracted by their electronic gadgets (legal or illegal).
    How many drivers do buzz because of distractions or drunk or plain inattention!
    My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was rearended at 40 mph in a lane similar to that and was lucky enough not to get sucked under the car. My last thought before being hit was 'those tires sound pretty close'. I felt the bike collapse and then my left leg start to drop under the car before my bike popped out and cartwheeled, with me still clipped in, and landed against the curb on my back/hip. I rolled to the side to see the car braking about 200' up the road. Half a turn and it would have been head first. The driver came back and called 911 and said he never saw me, as he looked at my flashing lights and high visibilty work wear. It's not fair, but a fact, bikers don't do well in collisions with cars. I do whatever it takes to be seen now. Early AM, I wave my left arm when I hear an approaching car, I talk to drivers about which way they are going at lights and I always try to make eye contact.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    I was rearended at 40 mph in a lane similar to that and was lucky enough not to get sucked under the car. My last thought before being hit was 'those tires sound pretty close'. I felt the bike collapse and then my left leg start to drop under the car before my bike popped out and cartwheeled, with me still clipped in, and landed against the curb on my back/hip. I rolled to the side to see the car braking about 200' up the road. Half a turn and it would have been head first. The driver came back and called 911 and said he never saw me, as he looked at my flashing lights and high visibilty work wear. It's not fair, but a fact, bikers don't do well in collisions with cars. I do whatever it takes to be seen now. Early AM, I wave my left arm when I hear an approaching car, I talk to drivers about which way they are going at lights and I always try to make eye contact.
    Glad you're alive to tell that story. What kind of injuries did you sustain?
    Mark

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast