Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike Mobile's Last Trip??

On a business trip out of town today and my 20 year old Bike Mobile with 540,000 miles really acted up. It "bonked". It was struggling up the simplest of hills. I knew exactly how it felt! I was able to nurse it back to a garage that is about 60 miles from my house-I grew up with the mechanic so at least its in trusted hands! I usually have my bike with me and have told folks when the van dies I'll just jump on my bike and leave the van wherever it quits-but I did not have it in the van today.

We will see what he finds tomorrow. I don't want to reinvest in the bike mobile but if it's minor I'll probably let him fix it, along with 2-3 other items. It feels like it's just tired.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bike bonk. I was riding it along and it got this soft ride suddenly. Came to realize that the the downtube had separated from the bottom bracket.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    On a business trip out of town today and my 20 year old Bike Mobile with 540,000 miles really acted up. It "bonked". It was struggling up the simplest of hills. I knew exactly how it felt! I was able to nurse it back to a garage that is about 60 miles from my house-I grew up with the mechanic so at least its in trusted hands! I usually have my bike with me and have told folks when the van dies I'll just jump on my bike and leave the van wherever it quits-but I did not have it in the van today.

We will see what he finds tomorrow. I don't want to reinvest in the bike mobile but if it's minor I'll probably let him fix it, along with 2-3 other items. It feels like it's just tired.
    I am finding it costs more and more to keep me "running." I sure wouldn't want someone to give up on me because I cost too much. I think you owe it to your van not to discriminate because of age or mileage!! It will seem like losing an old friend.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, I feel bad that I got rid of my old bike hauler when it only had 170,000 miles. But I'm a one vehicle family and it needed around $2500 in repairs.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Bike Mobile have an Advance Directive? Have you talked with it about end-of-life decisions?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you can nurse it though the next five years you can call it a classic when you sell/junk or otherwise lose it's services

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing we DON'T want here is a death panel!!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing the BM's make or model, my money is on a bum fuel pump. She may need sparkplugs and wires too.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Without knowing the BM's make or model, my money is on a bum fuel pump. She may need sparkplugs and wires too.
    My guesses in order of guess:

spark plugs/wires-I think they have about 200k+ on 'em
    fuel filter clogged up
    catalytic converter plugging up
    fuel pump

It's pretty funny the similarities between how it was running and how I've felt on some hills after a lot of miles..........it was mostly ok on the flats and dowhills but I could have ridden my bike faster up some of the hills.

And it's a '91 Toyota Previa
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    1974 Montomery Wards Open Road, 1971 Schwinn Suburban, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike hauler is the same year, Chevy S-10 Blazer (4dr). It's a one-owner vehicle, with over 328,800 miles on it. Last year, both heads on the engine cracked, and were replaced. As long as it runs, and can be fixed, I'll drive it.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're easing my concern that my bike hauler (Toyota Tacoma) is about to roll over 100,000 miles. Thanks.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike-mobile resides in the carport all week, only being used to ferry my track bike to the local indoor velodrome, or my fixie or tandem down to Seattle for a weekend ride. It's all those long highway miles (lots of trips to Seattle, Oregon coast, Redding, Las Vegas) that have put the odo over 240,000 km in the past ten years, but it's a Subaru that's been well-maintianed and runs (and looks) like new! If I didn't haul my bikes around so much, I'd have more kilometers on the bikes than on the car.

I have had four bikes fail on me while riding. I had a Canadian Miele (one of those Northern Italian frames re-branded as a Canadian bike, like Cramerotti) fail at the right chain stay while sitting in the pack waiting for the final sprint that I probably would have won in a BC Masters Road Championship. I had two Performance titanium frames (Chinese Ti) break underneath me (one catastrophic seat tube fracture just below the seat post, so that the post fell off!), and I had a Benotti track bike fail at the top tube just behind the head lug in October 2009. I was able to nurse the bike (holding the top tube on descents, avoiding the front brake, to the bus stop where I put it on the rack and took the bus home. Good thing all the buses in Greater Vancouver have bike racks!

Component breakages are the worst. I had one handlebar (Profile Hammer, known for breaking) fail during a race where I was on a solo break. I was madder than a wet hen when I got up after the crash. Had a couple of Campag seat posts break, but never crashed as a result.

L.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Previa problems

As the owner/operator of Don's Automotive -- 30 years + specializing in Asian vehicles -- I can tell you fuel pump and fuel filter problems are just about unheard of on your Toyota. Now Ford, Chevy, Dodge....................that's another matter!!

Don in Austin

+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess catalytic converter plugged.
    I don't get emotional about my cars. I had a truck for 19 years and sold it for more than I paid for it and didn't get emo, it's just a thing.
    I've been driving the S10 Blazer for 14 years and I'm thinking about getting something newer. If my job didn't suck so much I would have already. It's a car, not a family member.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it can regain a road worthy condition for @$1K, it sounds reasonable. Even if you only get another year, those are cheap miles. Winter is coming though, your old friend the Bike Mobile would feel horrible if it left you hanging in bad weather. Can the van be converted to an axleless storage facility at your house. 540K miles. That is a lot of memories. It deserves a place in your future, it sure has been part of your past.

I'm going to have to discuss some of these issues with my 03 Durango with 108K miles. It has a slacker entitlement attitude.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    As the owner/operator of Don's Automotive -- 30 years + specializing in Asian vehicles -- I can tell you fuel pump and fuel filter problems are just about unheard of on your Toyota. Now Ford, Chevy, Dodge....................that's another matter!!

Don in Austin

+
    It appears to be a fuel filter very clogged up--still doing some diagnostics.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swami predicts you will also need a fuel pump.

My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Swami predicts you will also need a fuel pump.
    You might be on target-still working on it-issue is intermittent. Fortunately I've been in Az for a week so have not needed it.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming this is a modern EFI engine, shouldn't they be able to plug in the diagnostic computer and tell what is going on pretty quickly via the trouble codes?

My Cycling Blogspot