Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-10-10, 08:54 PM   #1
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
convenient bicycle transport

I'm looking retirment in the face in about 4.5 years. My wife and I want a vehicle we can take the bikes and put them in the back without taking the front wheels off, (unless we can't find the proper vehicle) throw bags in the back and take off for wherever we feel like going. Preferably a sunny climate in the midst of our dismal winters here in the PNW. I'm thinking like a Dodge Town and County minivan with the last row of seats taken out and some kind of bike rack that will hold the front wheel in a sturdy fashion. I don't want to haul them on the outside or roof since if we stop for the night at a motel there is that whole taking them into the room deal. I thought a full size pickup with a tall canopy would be good but I really would think there is something that gets a lot better mileage and is a bit smaller that can do this job.
Old 11-10-10, 09:33 PM   #2
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
I wouldn't leave my visible bicycle inside a vehicle overnight.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 10:13 PM   #3
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/
25 mpg
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 11:41 PM   #4
StephenH
Uber Goober

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
We have a Saturn Vue several years old. It is a fair-sized SUV, but to get one bike in it, I have to move the passenger seat forward all the way. I guess the moral is, take your bikes with you when you go shopping.

Something like the Dodge Sprinter would be intriguing to me for that application.

I would also agree that bikes with any real value should be taken in to the motel when you're there. Or if not, concealed or covered some way in the vehicle.
Old 11-11-10, 07:24 AM   #5
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
I've seen the transit and I think it would be perfect. Hopefully Ford will tap into a market just waiting for them to jump into with this not just the business crowd.
Old 11-11-10, 08:02 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Dodge Town and County minivan with the last row of seats taken out and some kind of bike rack
It is a Chrysler - and it is what we use, and no bike rack is needed. The bikes fit in vertically with the front wheel (however, I enter them into the van at a slant, then get them vertical once they have cleared the lip and top), and I use a bunge cord to attach them to the rear seat-belt. I have had four bikes in the van this way, but we travel with two. The stow and go is a great feature..

And, yes, we just pull them out when we want, and put them back in. We have traveled thousands of miles this way.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-11-10 at 09:04 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 08:10 AM   #7
cranky old dude

Bikes:
A pick-up truck with a high cap would do the job and provide a lot of freight hauling capabilities both with the cap on or off the truck. The problem is getting around inside the truck bed when the cap is installed.
For my old, beat up knees it's become a major issue.

Personally I prefer a Van or large SUV for convenience purposes. Our full size conversion van (1994 E-150)works quite well, off course it has many uncommon options. Our mid-ship Captains chairs are removable (man are they heavy) and our sofa-bed is also removable. Our sofa-bed can also be mounted mid-ship making the van what is referred to these days as a half-back or five passanger van with ample cargo space in the rear.

I'm not very well versed in the current makes and models and hopefully I won't be in the market again.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 08:16 AM   #8
tcs
Palmer

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
My wife and I want a vehicle we can take the bikes and put them in the back without taking the front wheels off... ...there is that whole taking them into the room deal.
Well, you're a smart, experienced guy so I'm sure you understand you will pay dearly for that little bit of convenience in purchase price, insurance and fuel mileage.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 09:00 AM   #9
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
+1 for the Ford Transit Connect wagon. The van itself has been is service for years in Europe and the Focus drivetrain seems bullet proof (proven well enough to me by my daughters).

Brad
bradtx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 09:34 AM   #10
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
I've have been considering a Honda Element when new car time arrives. It seems to fit the bill nicely of being able to store bikes inside, deliver reasonable gas mileage, and to be utilitarian enough to serve other purposes.
curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 09:42 AM   #11
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
Pretty much what we were looking for. Got a Scion X-B (the newer larger one) and it has fit the bill quite nicely. Actually we got it because my wife liked its looks.....she likes weird looking things, I guess that is how she ended up with me.
Old 11-11-10, 09:52 AM   #12
Recycle

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm thinking like a Dodge Town and County minivan with the last row of seats taken out and some kind of bike rack that will hold the front wheel in a sturdy fashion.
We have a (Chrysler) Town and Country with the Fold In Floor seats. It will hold the bikes with wheels on if you lower the back and middle seats. But we found that removing and re-installing the front wheels was a small price to pay for the additional space we have in the van, especially with the under-floor storage.

A Saris Traps rack in the back lets us fit two bikes without having to lower the middle seats. There is still plenty of room to store stuff using the middle seat under-the-floor storage as well as in the back with the bikes.

We also have an external rack for the times when we need to carry 4 bikes + 2 additional passengers, or when we want to load/unload the bikes quickly without removing the front wheels.

Here's a photo with 2 hybrids and 3 weeks worth of absolutely essential stuff loaded.

IMG_0943-1..jpg

Last edited by Recycle; 11-11-10 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added fitting bikes with wheels on
Recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 09:54 AM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
We have a (Chrysler) Town and Country with the Fold In Floor seats. We found that removing and re-installing the front wheels was a small price to pay for the additional space we have in the van, especially with the under-floor storage.

A Saris Traps rack in the back lets us fit two bikes without having to lower the middle seats. There is still plenty of room to store stuff using the middle seat under-the-floor storage as well as in the back with the bikes.

We also have an external rack for the times when we need to carry 4 bikes + 2 additional passengers, or when we want ot load/unload the bikes quickly without removing the front wheels.

Here's a photo with 2 hybrids and 3 weeks of absolutely necessary stuff loaded.

Attachment 177754
We just turn the wheels at 90 degrees, leaving the middle seats in, and everything fits fine? I don't understand why you need to take the front wheel off? I move the right hand middle seat forward all the way, and - presto? This is a hybrid and a mtn bike.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 11:49 AM   #14
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can fit bikes in the Honda Odyssey with wheels on and upright. There is a new design for 2011, so I'm not sure about the dimensions. Honda reliability is a big plus over the Chrysler brand, IMHO.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 11:49 AM   #15
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Not impressed with the Element after I rode in one it reminds me of the road noise I had in my old CJ 5 well not that but but not a quiet vehicle at all
Old 11-11-10, 01:33 PM   #16
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
If it was me 4WD/AWD would be a must. Surprised that no one has mentioned a Subaru yet.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 02:29 PM   #17
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
If it was me 4WD/AWD would be a must. Surprised that no one has mentioned a Subaru yet.
Will Subaru rear compartment store bikes up-right?
curdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 02:51 PM   #18
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdog View Post
Will Subaru rear compartment store bikes up-right?
No they will not. Thats why I'm thinkin minivan. I really like that Ford Transit van and if its available in a nice passenger style incarnation I might go with that.
Old 11-11-10, 03:35 PM   #19
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D
XLT Wagon has side windows.
XLT Premium and third row windows, at about $23K
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/transitconnect/
scottogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 03:37 PM   #20
colorado dale
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell
we can get 2 bicycles in 2005 Honda CRV without taking off the wheels on
however in 2006 they moved spare inside
so I am not sure it you can with the newer CRV's
colorado dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 05:48 PM   #21
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
Not impressed with the Element after I rode in one it reminds me of the road noise I had in my old CJ 5 well not that but but not a quiet vehicle at all
Well, that just shows why they have both chocolate and vanilla. I've had one for 3 1/2 years and I love it. The biggie for us at the time that we bought it was that it's short enough to fit inside our shortish garage and long enough to fit a tandem bike inside the car standing up. Since then we've bought a recumbent tandem and it fits inside the car too (with the rear wheel removed).

I haven't heard the road noise complaint before. Usually on bicycle boards someone chides me because it only gets 25 MPG on the highway. Neither bothers me.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote