Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannondale R500T swap question

I know this should probably be in the Bicycle Mechanic forum but I trust you people so much I wanted to start here for some advice. Mods, please give this one at least a day or two so I can hear what my fellow 50+ members have to say. I have a 1995 R500T and I want to swap the triple for a double crank. I would like some input on what crank I can use since finding an RSX is impossible, even at ebay.

What crank can I get that accepts the Shimano 7 speed chain? I will even get a front derailleur if necessary. I will actually be getting a rear der anyway since I want a short cage model and would appreciate any input on this, also.

NW Florida is flat as a board and I don't really need the triple front end. I love the bike and its frame fits me like a glove. I found it used on ebay in 2008 and everything works perfectly this is mainly my innate mechanical tinkering urge pestering me in its usual weird way.

Regards,
    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use the middle and large chain ring and save a bundle?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be more complicated than swapping the crank. You may have to change the left shifter and the front derailleur too.
    Last edited by RonH; 11-11-10 at 06:52 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a Sugino crank with an Orange Velo BB would be fine. The Sugino RD2 arms, can be configured as a double chainring set. I use a 38 X 48 ring combination on one of my bikes. It's good stuff that doesn't break the bank. Any bike shop should be able to get it.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted the incorrect year, mine is a 1997 model, sorry.

What little I have found out other than these replies is that the brifter for the RSX is used as their double shifter, too. I seem to remember a post about the RSX front der in the mechanics forum stating that you could adjust the der to just hit the two large chain rings. I am not sure and i couldn't get a narrow enough search there to find the information.

Denver, if I can just remove the small front chain ring and adjust the der I probably will do that and put a short cage rear der on back. Thunderworks, thanks for that information, I'll check with my LBS next week for their price on ordering this setup. Any thoughts on the chain itself? Mine is in great shape now but in the future I want to know my options on this item. I doubt if the previous owner rode the bike more than a few times and it shows no evidence of being abused or stored outside by them. Thanks to ya'll so far!

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-11-10 at 07:00 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have posed a problem- 50+ and in Florida.

Most here are happy with a compact crank with 50/34 rings and coupled with a lowest cog on the cassette of around 27/28 find that it will be low enough for most hills - just before it gets to the Mountain Stage. Sounds as though you have a Brifter like the105 that will be capable of changing between a double and a triple crank so that should not be a problem. I recently changed from Double to Triple on one of my bikes and the Brifter was fine. However I had to change the front derailler to a triple version as it did not have enough throw to cope with the width of 3 rings. Going from triple to double should not be a problem. On the chain- you currently have a 7 speed And this "Should" fit the front rings of any new crank. And you are right- some adjustment to the stops on the front Dr. will be required.

And the problem you have posed????? You are in Florida so I don't know if you need the Compact crank. Flat land s are not something I know about. But if the middle and top ring suit your riding on the existing set up- you have an idea to get the Crankset with the same size rings.

If it is just looks that annoy you- Take off the Granny ring. I defy anyone to spot that you have a Triple crank from just a glance at the bike. It will take a really good look for an experienced rider to see that you are attempting to pose by letting them think you have a High geared bike for your lack of interesting terrain.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I posted the incorrect year, mine is a 1997 model, sorry.

. Any thoughts on the chain itself?
    Bill
    Chain is fine. Modern setups with 9 or 10 cogs on the rear are picky about chains, but older technology stuff is pretty forgiving . . .

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, If you're happy with the drivetrain's performance now I suggest leaving it alone. At the most remove the granny and install a short cage RD. Removing the granny won't shave much weight and the short cage won't improve rear shifting enough to really notice, IMHO.

To properly swap to a double crankset will require a new crankset, BB, RD and possibly, not probably, a new FD if the inside travel limiter screw or part of the FD body prevenst it from going to the small chainring. There's about a 1 cm difference for the chainline between a triple and a double.

Brad

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much for the help. I have always ridden a standard double until I got the R500T in 2008 and it is truly flat here. The few "hills" here can be taken on the second chain ring at the most. I deeply appreciate ya'lls time and replies.

Bill