Just Follow Your Feet! AlphaGeek's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the Meds ... They'll Kill Ya!

About a month ago I started getting numbness in my hands and wrists and eventually up to my elbows. I work with computers all day so I thought it could be carpul tunnel and later tried adjustments on the bike. I looked in the Forums and found reference to how Shokhead's cholesterol meds had done this to him, and checked in with my Doc. Sure enough I'm off Pravachol now and things are improving. One of the side effects is muscle deterioration. I'm praying the pain goes away and the strength comes back, but it seems to be a gradual process.

At any rate: Watch the Meds ... They'll Kill Ya!
    Recumbents rock!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGeek
    About a month ago I started getting numbness in my hands and wrists and eventually up to my elbows. I work with computers all day so I thought it could be carpul tunnel and later tried adjustments on the bike. I looked in the Forums and found reference to how Shokhead's cholesterol meds had done this to him, and checked in with my Doc. Sure enough I'm off Pravachol now and things are improving. One of the side effects is muscle deterioration. I'm praying the pain goes away and the strength comes back, but it seems to be a gradual process.

At any rate: Watch the Meds ... They'll Kill Ya!
    Following my minor heart attack during a 24hr mtb race, I was started on statins. I resist taking them as they are a solution to a problem that does not (for me) exist. There is a tendency to think because we are a bunch of old farts that if they stick us on meds, then all is well. I hope your muscle recovery goes well. You might want to consider doing some weights to help build up some more muscle mass, providing the pain is not to intolerable to bear. It might be better to try and compensate for it now before it gets too progressive but seek advice first obviously.
    If your bollocks ain't sore, yer ain't on yer boike!

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had by-pass surgery 4 years ago and took up biking as one of the cardio rehab exercises. I have been on several different statins and suffered different reactions - liver functions, muscle deteriotion, leg cramps, memory loss, tiredness, etc. My Dr. is adament about me taking a cholesterol lowering medication. The only thing good is that cholesterol reading did go down more while on medications. I have experimented by going off all medications completly and just using diet & exercise for about 90 days and had total cholesterol readings of 154 (LDL 99, Tri 60), My Dr. put me on 80mg daily of Lescol and my cholestorol reading dropped to 132 (LDL 69, Tri 74) however some side effects started kicking in (mainly tiredness and muscle aches) and I have cut the dosage to 40 mg daily as an experiment. I'll find out the results in a few weeks when I have blood work done. Since starting the 40 mg experiment, I'm not quite so tired and have virtually no muscle aches.
    I worry what the long term effects of these medications will be vs. cardio exercise and a good diet.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan Pritikin proved that one can control cholesterol and reverse atherosclerosis through diet and exercise (and self-discipline), but this is not profitable for doctors and drug companies. Also, since he was "just" an engineer, not an M.D., he had trouble convincing the medical establishment that he had some good ideas. (His sole significant error was failing to distinguish between good and bad fats, just as Atkins failed to distinguish between good and bad carbohydrates.)

If you need a blood thinner, eat garlic and reduce dietary fat, which increases blood viscosity and raises blood pressure. If you need even more thinning, take an occasional aspirin. If your serum cholesterol is high, eat more fiber, which will inhibit (re)absorption of dietary and self-made cholesterol through the wall of the small intestine.

At 54, I am just starting to reap the rewards of 35 years of health-conscious living.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Just Follow Your Feet! AlphaGeek's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokkie
    You might want to consider doing some weights to help build up some more muscle mass, providing the pain is not to intolerable to bear.
    Yes, I agree, however, I'm not there yet. It's killing me to not be able to play guitar. I hope to do a few light weights soon tho. I meet again with the Doc on Friday.
    Recumbents rock!