Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle-Riding-For-Boomers Site

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just passing this site on.

https://www.bicycle-riding-for-boomers.com/index.html

Pardon me if someone else has already listed it.

Has lots of info... including chainless recumbants!
Old 11-12-10, 11:33 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm, seems to be an assumption that boomers are now all geriatrics! I thought the thing that distinguished boomers was that they'd stay young forever. Fifty is the new thirty, and sixty is the new forty. Hell, I'm 60 and I don't even feel like I'm 50 yet. But then I have been 19 years old for most of my life.

I think that boomers who discovered cycling earlier in their lives have already discovered the secret of eternal youth. This biking for boomers site seems to have arrived too late for the rest of the boomers! Well, it's never really too late, I hope they latch on!

L.
Old 11-13-10, 12:57 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is another boom about bicycle lighting systems:

https://nordicgroup.us/s78/

Lots of articles and links.
Warning!: site contains some nudity, which may or may not be delightful.
Old 11-13-10, 09:15 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Actually, this rather sickens me. It assumes boomers know nothing about cycling, when in fact, we WERE the great bike boom, starting in the late '60s (my dawning of interest) through whenever. There is some truth, in that if you've laid off for decade or three, you don't know how to navigate the market today, and the unfortunate assumptions made in most LBSs are just insulting.

It also assumes boomers are barely able to move. If we're the generation that would stay forever young (now why would we thing this is unique?), how can we all be toppling over? But again there is some truth ... we know who we are!

I see a lot about

you can cheat on an electric bike
you can roll slow but comfy on a converted mtb, a comfort bike, or a foot-forward,
recumbents are better than wedgies (the pejorative terms drive me crazy).

I see nothing about

one of the most popular things to do with your 50+ buds and budettes (not involving much beer) is to go out for a 40 mile ride together
good fitters know a lot about setting up road bikes so they don't hurt
gaining fitness gradually with riding (ride more!) still works even on 50+ers bodies
you can get cool gadgets to put on your bike to approximate what's in that Lexus
road bikes today are more comfortable than ever as well as fast
you can still have a beautiful, supple, long-lasting Brooks saddle
if you like the way the old ones looked and worked, you can still get one and ride it with proper setup
if you like the materials (LOWER CARBON FOOTPRINT!) of the older styles, you can get modern bikes in the same style and which can be maintained by the shop you bought it from, like a car.

What's that mandatory 401k distribution at 59 1/2 for, anyway? Go out and kedge!
Old 11-13-10, 10:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Seems like a decent site for a wide variety of people. It's not all about comfort bikes and such. For example, https://www.bicycle-riding-for-boomer...-bicycles.html
Old 11-13-10, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Does for boomers what Stepin Fetchit did for blacks.

Paul
Old 11-13-10, 12:55 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
This statement says it all:

"The days of bicycles being just toys for the young are long gone. Older folks are finding new bikes that are boomer friendly and new ways to enjoy them. "

Older folks riding toys!
Old 11-13-10, 01:42 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Actually, this rather sickens me. It assumes boomers know nothing about cycling, when in fact, we WERE the great bike boom, starting in the late '60s (my dawning of interest) through whenever. There is some truth, in that if you've laid off for decade or three, you don't know how to navigate the market today, and the unfortunate assumptions made in most LBSs are just insulting.

It also assumes boomers are barely able to move. If we're the generation that would stay forever young (now why would we thing this is unique?), how can we all be toppling over? But again there is some truth ... we know who we are!
+1 No thanks.
Old 11-13-10, 01:43 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"Expert repair advise "

Can't anyone spell adviCe correctly. Sheesh!!

I don't qualify, being very much a pre-boomer. Anyone got a website for us? Oh yeah, that's right. The 50+ subforum at bikeforums.net. A neat site. They even have a 65-85+ thread.
Old 11-13-10, 03:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I work with 3 others that are over 60 and coming up for retirement. They look more like 70 in their looks and actions. They are not mobile- not as agile as their job demamnds and always moaning about the job getting physically difficult.

I just moan about the job- but I am over 60 and have earned the right to be a grumpy old git after 30 years of working for the same company.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-14-10, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Interesting, and somewhat bizarre. We were the ones who brought about the bike boom of the 70's. This site does seem to assume that boomers know nothing about bikes at all. Think I'll pass.
Old 11-14-10, 11:34 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
So what age is a boomer?? I guess I've never thought about it enough to know what the term Boomer implies.

Old 11-14-10, 01:02 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think boomers are loosely defined as those born between '45 - '64-ish, basically kids of WWII vets.

I'd say a good chunk of the boomers helped fuel the bike boom of the late '60s, early '70s, but maybe people just think those above a certain age gravitate to other activities (like channel surfing, getting fat, stuff like that..) and forget all about riding a bike, and therefore need a refresher.
Old 11-14-10, 05:41 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok - the site isn't targeted for a typical 50+ forum member. Who said we were average? Your reactions are a bit harsh.
I only examined the site for a few minutes but it seems like an honest attempt to promote cycling. The "about" page describes the author as having cycled the last 15 years (sound familiar?).

Pardon me, I have to go take my fiber.
Old 11-14-10, 05:59 PM
Banned.

Has anyone discovered a "contact us" page? I wanted to provide a link to this firum.
Old 11-14-10, 06:06 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Has anyone discovered a "contact us" page? I wanted to provide a link to this firum.
I couldn't find one.
Looks like some pay to be on there?

Old 11-14-10, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"I love riding bikes but found it frustrating that everything I read about bikes was written from the perspective of some young Lance Armstrong wannabe and nothing was available of interest to millions of mature bike riders."

From the website. No surprise there. Maybe his site will get more people out riding. It's not always about drafting and pacelines.
Old 11-15-10, 12:12 AM
Pilot

Bikes: Giant TCR C1, Jamis Ventura, Davidson, Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding in 1951 at the age of four. At 12 I took my first 112 mile ride one week after buying a Schwinn Continental. In high school I rode a thousand miles from the Bay Area north and west by myself. I took three thousand mile trips by the time I got out of college. I own four bike (three road and one mountain) and ride them all. One at least once a day, at least 15 miles a day, often forty or more.

What's the problem?
Old 11-15-10, 05:02 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes I think it's hard for those of us on this site to remember that we are in the minority. Most people our age don't do what we do. While there were parts of the site that were of NO interest to me, I can think of people I know my age too which many sections of the site would be appealing. It's tough to create a balanced site for a population as diverse as the "boomers". For me, if the site gets any other folks out there riding, then it's a good thing.
Old 11-15-10, 06:47 AM
Banned.

"I love riding bikes but found it frustrating that everything I read about bikes was written from the perspective of some young Lance Armstrong wannabe and nothing was available of interest to millions of mature bike riders."

From the website. No surprise there. Maybe his site will get more people out riding. It's not always about drafting and pacelines.
Sometimes I think it's hard for those of us on this site to remember that we are in the minority. Most people our age don't do what we do. While there were parts of the site that were of NO interest to me, I can think of people I know my age too which many sections of the site would be appealing. It's tough to create a balanced site for a population as diverse as the "boomers". For me, if the site gets any other folks out there riding, then it's a good thing.
That s OK, JUST AS LONG AS THEY DON'T CLOG UP MY MUP
Old 11-15-10, 06:58 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
"Expert repair advise "

Can't anyone spell adviCe correctly. Sheesh!!

I don't qualify, being very much a pre-boomer. Anyone got a website for us? Oh yeah, that's right. The 50+ subforum at bikeforums.net. A neat site. They even have a 65-85+ thread.
and besides, we real boomers still need a Dad.
Old 11-15-10, 07:04 AM

It's not so much that it doesn't address me very strongly, it's that it perpetuates stereotypes, the same ones that (I assume, I wasn't really here then) impelled Denver to start 50+. I think there are a lot of fellows in their 40s who would benefit from beginning to pedal, and have a need to start gently. It isn't only the boomers that need help and encouragement or information to get out on two wheels.

Now about that 401k distribution ...
Old 11-15-10, 07:04 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
and besides, we real boomers still need a Dad.
Ouch!!
Old 11-15-10, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88
Well, yeah, it should do some of our cohort some good.
Old 11-15-10, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
I work with 3 others that are over 60 and coming up for retirement. They look more like 70 in their looks and actions. They are not mobile- not as agile as their job demamnds and always moaning about the job getting physically difficult.

I just moan about the job- but I am over 60 and have earned the right to be a grumpy old git after 30 years of working for the same company.
Our neighbor across the street just passed away - 68, but acted rather older. In contrast, I went on my summer tour with my cousin who's 65 and a friend of hers who is 72. Both kicked my butt soundly. My cousin is the smoothest pedaler I've ever seen, and can crank out 15 mph all day on a skinny-tire Cannondale. Her friend is nearly as refined, but has a reserve of power that is just amazing - left me far behind at 18 mph versus his 20, trying to outrun a rainstorm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.