User Tag List

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chain drop solved

I headed out for on the road bike this morning for a quick ride between storms. Sun was shining, air was crisp, and the legs were strong. Going up the first hill my chain slipped off the front chainring. After resetting it with the same results each time, I regretfully headed back to the house. A quick trip to the bike shop revealed the problem -- a single bad chain link. It is fixed and I am now back home, and it is starting to rain...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, you could have done what most people with an oz too little skill do, and that's fiddle with the adjustment, thereby making it worse and leaving you struggling out on the road ... as it started to rain.

Funny, I wouldn't have thought of a chain link causing this, but as I alluded to earlier, I've got mechanical skill, just not enough of it sometimes.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing a chance to ride always sucks, but it had to be a relief to find out the chain, a relatively inexpensive component, was the culprit.

To be more specific, was it a bent link? A seized link? Did the technician replace the chain (probably) or merely fix it?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Losing a chance to ride always sucks, but it had to be a relief to find out the chain, a relatively inexpensive component, was the culprit.

To be more specific, was it a bent link? A seized link? Did the technician replace the chain (probably) or merely fix it?
    Bent link. The mechanic just replaced the bad link with a SRAM quick link. The 9-speed chain is a Shimano DA with less than 700 miles on it so I decided not to replace it at this time. Hope that turns out to be a good call...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Mate, you could have done what most people with an oz too little skill do, and that's fiddle with the adjustment, thereby making it worse and leaving you struggling out on the road ... as it started to rain.

Funny, I wouldn't have thought of a chain link causing this, but as I alluded to earlier, I've got mechanical skill, just not enough of it sometimes.

Richard
    A lesson I have learned previously. Last ride it was shifting perfectly so I concluded it was probably not just out of adjustment. Fortunately, my Trek carbon frame has a fixed metal disk mounted on the drive side of the bottom bracket to keep the chain from grinding away on the BB when the chain drops off the small chainring to the inside.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a DA chain on the wrong bike and it did not last long. I put it on the Tandem and ran it in- then 5 minutes into a 100 mile ride it broke. Luckily I had the last years chain with me and it finished the ride.

But after the ride I looked at the chain. A side plate had bent and then broke out of the pin- but on checking I found a good few sideplates that were bending and about to go. I know it was the wrong bike and that DA chains are supposedly built with quality and lightness but for me in this use it just was not strong enough.

What surprised me was how easily the side plates had bent. I did use the "Spare" DA chain on the MTB a year or so later and experienced my second Chain break within a few hundred miles. DA may be good and I know they are expensive but for me- I will stay with something Stronger. Even on the road bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan