Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hill Avoidance !!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hill Avoidance !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-04, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Hudson Valley across from West Point in New York. At this location 60% of the roads are dirt and the main north and south roads have a lot of traffic. Regardless of whether you are riding a road bike or an MTB you can't go anywhere without going up many steep hills. Almost any loop you ride around here will take you up very steep inclines for a minimum of .03 miles to 2.5 miles. I am 54 and still climbing them. I have an MTB but rarely do I have to go to my lowests gears. I have set up the frame, seat and bars so that my center of gravity is in the front part of the bike. Long rides on flat surfaces are uncomfortable because the bike is configured for hills only.
Old 11-28-04, 02:35 AM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
What rear derailleur do you have? You need a rear der. for a triple before going to a 30 in the back. The long cage on the triple will only take a 30 max, at least with Shimano. I have an MTB rear now on mine for my 32. I'm lucky though, because that bike is set up for touring, with a 48/38/28 chainring up front.
My rear changer is an old Exage & my shifters are downtube (indexd) I think you are right & I have just put a new 7 sp screw on free wheel on & I stuck to the old 28-14 configueration, Im pinning my hopes on picking up a suitable 39 chainwheel Though my damaged leg is slowly immproving with wear
Old 12-08-04, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my 53/39 and 11-25 I am still able to climb the steep hills and I'm 57 years old. Frequently I leave the younger guys behind but I will wait for them at the top ;^)

I found as I get older, that I can still climb if I do it regularly and stay in shape for it. When I slack off I quickly loose my fitness and have to do hill intervals to get back into shape. I am fortunate that I have not had degenerative joint disease to the point of affecting my cycling.
Old 12-09-04, 06:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a touring bike with a triple. If I am in the lowest gear, and I whiles am, I "twiddle" gently up the hills, and if I am moving at 6mph I am faster than if I am walking and I am not stressing myself nor am I burning off muscle, I am instead watching the view, my heart monitor, and thinking about all the calories I am leaving behind me. A mile or three at 12% for me, a non animal, needs the low gear. It's what it's for after all...
Old 12-13-04, 05:29 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All three of my bikes have triples. Many of the road bikes now come with a triple as an option. Unless you are a Lance Armstrong wannabe when you hit 50 get the triple. At 62 the triple has gotten me up the Puyallup hill on the STP and across the George Washington bridge at Longview Wa. And oh that hill on the Chilly Hilly. By the way that is just a shade over 2 months and I try it again. When you ride club rides you takes what they gives you. Most rides have some hills worth talking about. Bring them on. If necessary I can and have walked (resting moving forward).
Phil Lux
Old 12-14-04, 05:54 PM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I win lotto I'le buy or build a new bike & it will s#itsure have a triple