Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation, and am now on 3 different meds for it, and I know that if I get injured and bleed, it will never stop (Cumadin) bleeding, at least for along time, I have been a bit leary about riding very much. I also wasn't sure how my heart and body would respond.

However, today I got out the mtn bike (feel safer on it) and did a nice 19 mile ride. Passed ALL the Sunday riders, got up to 24 mph on the mtn bike, and had a jolly good time.

But, I broke a spoke someplace along the way. Didn't even notice it (36 spoke wheels) until my wife said there was something wrong with my rear wheel.

So, into the shop tomorrow. Poor wheel has 9,000 tough (240 pounds of me, plus about 40 with the bike loaded) miles, so I guess it deserves a little TLC! I am now down to 220 and headed south, so it should be a bit easier.

So, if weather is good tomorrow, I will have to go on the roadie tomorrow, which I haven't ridden since my diagnosis.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTG Fox, just need to do it carefully. One step at a time and you'll beat!!!
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"

My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the bleeding due to the Atrial Fibrillation or the medication? Have you considered knee or elbow pads to reduce possibility of road rash?

Enough boasting about your speed - your wife must have been doing pretty good to be able to point out your wheel problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP
    Is the bleeding due to the Atrial Fibrillation or the medication? Have you considered knee or elbow pads to reduce possibility of road rash?

Enough boasting about your speed - your wife must have been doing pretty good to be able to point out your wheel problem.
    Any potential bleeding would be the result of the Cumadin, which is an anti-clotting drug designed in this case to prevent strokes from clots leaving the atria.

External bleeding would only occur if I had an injury. And external bleeding CAN eventually be stopped by direct pressure. Internal body or head bleeding is an entirely different matter.

No, no knee or elbow pads - I have only had one injury in 6 years, and it was due to my trying to play technical mountain biker, which I do not do any more. I am extremely safe bicycler, and plan on staying that way. I will assume any risk in this area.

Wife only joined me the last two miles of ride, which is when she noticed the rear wheel doing a bit of out of trueness! So, I can brag as much as I want.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-11-04 at 06:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But, I broke a spoke someplace along the way. Didn't even notice it (36 spoke wheels) until my wife said there was something wrong with my rear wheel
    Took the wheel up to my handy dandy LBS,

The bike mechanic:

1. removed tire and tube and rim tape

2. removed cassette and plastic ring

3. removed and replaced spoke

4. trued wheel, checked tension all around, adjusted hub for looseness

5. measured and corrected "dish"

6. mounted rim tape, tube and tire

7. inflated, checked cassette for wear

Talked to me about biking the entire time!

Total of $15.00

If spokes keep breaking, we will get new wheel.

'Bent Brian
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your LBS/bike mechanic is a keeper!

'bent Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay - I did 20 miles on the Lemond BA roadie today - did just fine. Took my time, took a lot of fall pics, and really enjoyed the ride.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-13-04 at 06:21 AM.