Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Questionn about pedals for recumbent

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 09:34 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm asking this for Hubby who lets me do the internet research.

He bought a recumbent this year following his 2nd total shoulder replacement surgery. He still rides his road bike and hybrid, but long rides on those bikes hurt his shoulders. He is not planning to go clipless because he believes there is a greater risk of injuring his shoulder if he falls while trying (or failing) to unclip.

Is there a clip or strap that will keep his feet on the pedal and won't let them slip downward while his feet are toe-up, but allow for easy release? He complains about his feet coming off while pedaling at higher speeds. (He's still getting used to this bike.)
Old 12-03-10, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Mongoose passed on to my son, Miyata, Tailwind, V-Rex, De Rosa, Safari, just added a Bike Friday

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use clipless pedals on my recumbents. I agree that a positive attachment to the pedals is desirable on a bent. This year I returned to toe clips on my upright bikes. I don't think I would want to use the toe clips on the bent. I recently bought power grips that I want to try out - I have them mounted on pedals but not on a bike yet. They look like they might work on the bent. Sorry this isn't a very helpful answer to your question. But I did want to comment that the two spills I've taken on my bents; I hit on my hip. One fall cost me a sock and road rash on my ankle. The other cost me a pair of shorts and a raspberry on my butt. The dynamics of falling on a bent are way different from falling on an upright bike. Both of these falls happened so quickly, I don't think I could have unclipped from any pedal system. Good luck to your hubby.

Lou
Old 12-04-10, 02:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if Jim would be brave enough to use them but the "Aggressive" spiked BMX pedals. No pics but I inherited a pair from a mate. He had tried clipless but could not get on with them. These BMX pedals are dangerous to the shins on a normal bike. The spikes are really long and bite into the show- any shoe- but you can still pull the foot away from the pedal

Spike Milligan
Old 12-04-10, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun Ringle Zuzu I have a pair on my MTB and they grip real well. But like Stap said they can do damage to your shin if not careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunringle.jpg (2.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-04-10, 08:30 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I briefly used BMX-style platform pedals while getting acclimated to recumbents but have since used nothing but SPD clipless. If he really doesn't want to use clipless, then PowerGrips might be good. I used those for a while (post-toes clips and pre-clipless) and remember my feet feeling very secure when in a straight position but loose when the heels were moved out just a little.
Real platform pedals (not caged pedals) with grip pins could work. Shin damage mentioned above shouldn't be an issue on a 'bent.
Old 12-04-10, 09:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
PowerGrips are what he wants.