Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-04-10, 05:19 PM   #1
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
Thread Starter
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think 2010 is over

Looking at the forecast and my schedule I think I may have completed the 2010 outdoor biking season. The ice is in and it does not look like it will melt and dry before the snow comes. Oh well - I guess it's indoor cycling - if you can call it that. If this past spring is any indicator it will be late March or early April before the bikes will see the pavement again.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:28 PM   #2
vtc12ip
Harry helps.
 
vtc12ip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oceanside, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having lived for almost 40 years in Vermont, I can sympathize. However, since moving to Lower Alabama it's still ride on. Today was 66. Perfect for shorts and short sleeved shirt.
vtc12ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:33 PM   #3
Phil85207
Century bound
 
Phil85207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa Arizona
Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes The winters are a little stiff up there. We were there two summers ago at Wilmington, near Lake Placid. We got there in early April and it was real chilly for ridding, and lots of rain too. It was a great summer and one of the things on my bucket list it to do it again. We stayed in a campground with loads of Ironman participants and I wound up volunteering at an aid station at the in and out at Wilmington. A wonderful place to ride, really learned a lot about doing hills there and put just under 2300 miles on by the time we left in the fall.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:33 PM   #4
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ahem...



The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

I think this is the first year that I've not had to use the snows in November.

Last edited by tsl; 12-04-10 at 06:56 PM. Reason: tense conflict
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:39 PM   #5
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh that's OK, you don't want to get cold, catch a cold, or maybe even fall down. Make sure that you don't over eat and be sure to dress warmly. Spring will be here before you know it.



Now the answer you don't want to hear. Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land! What happened to those 2011 cycling climbing goals you established? There is really only one way to reach your goal and that is when you butt is attached to a seat. Ride any day you can outside on anything capable of staying upright and supplement the other days with indoor riding, core and resistance work, and cross training.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it...
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:47 PM   #6
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"
 
ciocc_cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Bikes: 1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
Posts: 1,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may complain about the mosquitoes, summer heat and humidity at times, but this time of year is when I'm so glad I live in the Deep South. Temp was 73F this afternoon!
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:53 PM   #7
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My studded tires are on, the chain lubed with stuff for wet weather, and the winter riding clothes have replaced the summer ones in my closet. I won't ride as much as during better weather, but I'll be damned if I'll let winter keep my off the bike outdoors. Likely I'll only commute three days a week and ride one day on weekends, but I'll be out there.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 06:09 PM   #8
Kurt Erlenbach
Senior Member
 
Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 2,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land!
Hey. I resemble that remark.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 06:26 PM   #9
Allegheny Jet 
Senior Member
 
Allegheny Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Medina, OH
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Posts: 5,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
Hey. I resemble that remark.
Sorry Kurt, I meant the "other" mamby pamby land.
__________________
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:07 PM   #10
Kurt Erlenbach
Senior Member
 
Kurt Erlenbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 2,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Sorry Kurt, I meant the "other" mamby pamby land.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:07 PM   #11
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
Thread Starter
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Oh that's OK, you don't want to get cold, catch a cold, or maybe even fall down. Make sure that you don't over eat and be sure to dress warmly. Spring will be here before you know it.



Now the answer you don't want to hear. Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land! What happened to those 2011 cycling climbing goals you established? There is really only one way to reach your goal and that is when you butt is attached to a seat. Ride any day you can outside on anything capable of staying upright and supplement the other days with indoor riding, core and resistance work, and cross training.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it...
I wish I could get out and ride but spin classes and core strength training will have to do - while I am dropping another 15 lbs.

As far as growing another pair - my SO would just clip them off

I will have another activity that will also serve as cross training - from last Sunday:

cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:29 PM   #12
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I predict a nice 2 week January thaw. I hope so anyways..
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:17 PM   #13
Hermes 
Elite Rider
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,691
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
"Grow a Pair" GAP. Not quite as hip at HTFU but I like it. Hey C'Fool. HTFU and GAP.

I like it.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:32 PM   #14
doctor j
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Louisiana
Bikes:
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm at the permanent residence in Louisiana for the week. 43 miles today. Flat, no hills, but a little windy. Temps in the low 70s. Cold weather is following me down here. Highs only in low to mid 50s for the rest of the week. Back up to the frozen north for next week.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 10:24 PM   #15
gerv 
In the right lane
 
gerv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Des Moines
Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed
Posts: 9,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Ahem...



The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

I think this is the first year that I've not had to use the snows in November.
Sounds like more fun than a spin class.
gerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 10:26 PM   #16
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Ahem...



The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

I think this is the first year that I've not had to use the snows in November.
When I am trying to use a bit of rain as an excuse to not ride for a day or two this winter, I am going to remember this picture, lube the chain and get rolling. Thanks for the kick in the hind quarters.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 10:32 PM   #17
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe time to find a winter activity to make you smile!

Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 01:17 AM   #18
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last couple of weeks have not been suitable for riding in the UK but yesterday and the thaw set in- We have floods now.

But we have been promised that the weather will change back to below freezing as of today. Road riding is out with the ice for me.

So MTB is going to be used again this winter.

But if we had the long extended periods of snow and Ice that some of you have- it would have to be studded tyres for me.

2010 is not finished for us but it is going to take a bit of adjustment to get used to riding the mtb for a while.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 07:15 PM   #19
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!
 
bobthib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Ahem...



The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

I think this is the first year that I've not had to use the snows in November.
YOU are my hero.
bobthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 07:21 PM   #20
cranky old dude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Looking at the forecast and my schedule I think I may have completed the 2010 outdoor biking season. The ice is in and it does not look like it will melt and dry before the snow comes. Oh well - I guess it's indoor cycling - if you can call it that. If this past spring is any indicator it will be late March or early April before the bikes will see the pavement again.
I'll trade you!

I just got home from Albany about four hours ago to a foot of heavy, wet, tightly packed and drifted snow in my driveway. It took almost three hours to dig our way into the house!!

I'll trade you my foot of snow and the predicted 8 -14 inches due during the next 24 hours for the icy patches I saw in Albany over the past three days (even with your Nor-easter that's rolling in as I type this).

All kidding aside, that was a COLD wind you all had blowing through Albany today. Stay safe on the slopes.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 07:20 AM   #21
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
Thread Starter
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
"Grow a Pair" GAP. Not quite as hip at HTFU but I like it. Hey C'Fool. HTFU and GAP.

I like it.
When you move to the NE then maybe you will have a leg to stand on - in the mean time keep lounging around and downing those bon bons waiting for race training to begin . For me its now ski & spin/core season, yesterday was the first spin class for me and the bikes are all tuck away for the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Maybe time to find a winter activity to make you smile!


I envy those in the west with the great snow - but I truly love our little heaven in the Adirondacks. I will make it out west a few times this season - last year for my 5 days at Alta - 100" of snow, once in a lifetime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
I'll trade you!

I just got home from Albany about four hours ago to a foot of heavy, wet, tightly packed and drifted snow in my driveway. It took almost three hours to dig our way into the house!!

I'll trade you my foot of snow and the predicted 8 -14 inches due during the next 24 hours for the icy patches I saw in Albany over the past three days (even with your Nor-easter that's rolling in as I type this).

All kidding aside, that was a COLD wind you all had blowing through Albany today. Stay safe on the slopes.
Lenny,
Thanks - you guys have been getting pounded. So far no real accumulation here, just cold (not been over freezing for a few days and looks like this will hang through the weekend) my morning route has a lot of ice from drainage on that last big rain, so it won't be safe for a long time. You and Bruce can ride in that stuff, I am not that dedicated. I do enough heroic efforts at home/work, cycling is just for fun. If you come through again and have an hour or two to kill - let me know.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 07:45 PM   #22
cranky old dude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post


Lenny,
Thanks - you guys have been getting pounded. So far no real accumulation here, just cold (not been over freezing for a few days and looks like this will hang through the weekend) my morning route has a lot of ice from drainage on that last big rain, so it won't be safe for a long time. You and Bruce can ride in that stuff, I am not that dedicated. I do enough heroic efforts at home/work, cycling is just for fun. If you come through again and have an hour or two to kill - let me know.
Pounded and then some!!

We were away attending our daughter's graduation from SUNY Albany (Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, With Highest Honors.....[the site's auto censor won't allow the latin notation]!!) and didn't realize how deep things had gotten back home.

By the time I got the driveway cleared and the car unloaded (the first of two loads of my daughters stuff from college), and the garage roof cleared my back was shot! We had to shovel again this afternoon before I left for work. The roads in my neighborhood are in a bad way, it's tough enough to navigate them in my S-10. The closest four lane is Lake Avenue. I'm terrified of Lake Avenue when I'm driving it with my truck!!

For now I am just leaving the bike on the back porch. Soooo.... this evening I got into the S-10, turned on the heat, turned on the radio, eased my foot onto the gas pedal and tried to make the best of it.

I miss my bike already.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 08:43 PM   #23
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
Thread Starter
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
Pounded and then some!!

We were away attending our daughter's graduation from SUNY Albany (Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, With Highest Honors.....[the site's auto censor won't allow the latin notation]!!) and didn't realize how deep things had gotten back home.

By the time I got the driveway cleared and the car unloaded (the first of two loads of my daughters stuff from college), and the garage roof cleared my back was shot! We had to shovel again this afternoon before I left for work. The roads in my neighborhood are in a bad way, it's tough enough to navigate them in my S-10. The closest four lane is Lake Avenue. I'm terrified of Lake Avenue when I'm driving it with my truck!!

For now I am just leaving the bike on the back porch. Soooo.... this evening I got into the S-10, turned on the heat, turned on the radio, eased my foot onto the gas pedal and tried to make the best of it.

I miss my bike already.
WOW - congrats on the daughter.
She will find something to do with that degree - maybe studying old relics like us
I guess you just have to wait for the lake to freeze over and then things will settle down and maybe you can get out again. In the mean time you can always do spin classes - NOT!
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 12:18 PM   #24
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yeah, Chicago is having a very cold December and with snow & ice covering almost everything, I will have to wait before I ride again.

So, I'm thinking this;



not this;


Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-08-10 at 12:37 PM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 07:16 PM   #25
cranky old dude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you're correct Mr. Cyclinfool. Tonight's lakeshore forecast says maybe 14" more by noon tomorrow, and a significant storm over the weekend which will set up another week of Lake Effect. O.K., so now I'm looking foreward to the January thaw....or maybe I should move to the South side of the county.

On a different note: I bought five gallons of gas for the snow blower yesterday...it cost me almost as much as the snow blower did!!! Riding the bike so much had insulated me from the rising gas prices...I'm not insulated from them now!!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 PM.