Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 2010 is over

Looking at the forecast and my schedule I think I may have completed the 2010 outdoor biking season. The ice is in and it does not look like it will melt and dry before the snow comes. Oh well - I guess it's indoor cycling - if you can call it that. If this past spring is any indicator it will be late March or early April before the bikes will see the pavement again.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having lived for almost 40 years in Vermont, I can sympathize. However, since moving to Lower Alabama it's still ride on. Today was 66. Perfect for shorts and short sleeved shirt.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes The winters are a little stiff up there. We were there two summers ago at Wilmington, near Lake Placid. We got there in early April and it was real chilly for ridding, and lots of rain too. It was a great summer and one of the things on my bucket list it to do it again. We stayed in a campground with loads of Ironman participants and I wound up volunteering at an aid station at the in and out at Wilmington. A wonderful place to ride, really learned a lot about doing hills there and put just under 2300 miles on by the time we left in the fall.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem...

The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

I think this is the first year that I've not had to use the snows in November.
    Last edited by tsl; 12-04-10 at 05:56 PM. Reason: tense conflict
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's OK, you don't want to get cold, catch a cold, or maybe even fall down. Make sure that you don't over eat and be sure to dress warmly. Spring will be here before you know it.

Now the answer you don't want to hear. Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land! What happened to those 2011 cycling climbing goals you established? There is really only one way to reach your goal and that is when you butt is attached to a seat. Ride any day you can outside on anything capable of staying upright and supplement the other days with indoor riding, core and resistance work, and cross training.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it...
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may complain about the mosquitoes, summer heat and humidity at times, but this time of year is when I'm so glad I live in the Deep South. Temp was 73F this afternoon!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My studded tires are on, the chain lubed with stuff for wet weather, and the winter riding clothes have replaced the summer ones in my closet. I won't ride as much as during better weather, but I'll be damned if I'll let winter keep my off the bike outdoors. Likely I'll only commute three days a week and ride one day on weekends, but I'll be out there.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land!
    Hey. I resemble that remark.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    Hey. I resemble that remark.
    Sorry Kurt, I meant the "other" mamby pamby land.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Kurt, I meant the "other" mamby pamby land.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's OK, you don't want to get cold, catch a cold, or maybe even fall down. Make sure that you don't over eat and be sure to dress warmly. Spring will be here before you know it.

Now the answer you don't want to hear. Grow a pair and accept that you don't live in mamby pamby land! What happened to those 2011 cycling climbing goals you established? There is really only one way to reach your goal and that is when you butt is attached to a seat. Ride any day you can outside on anything capable of staying upright and supplement the other days with indoor riding, core and resistance work, and cross training.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it...
    I wish I could get out and ride but spin classes and core strength training will have to do - while I am dropping another 15 lbs.

As far as growing another pair - my SO would just clip them off

I will have another activity that will also serve as cross training - from last Sunday:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict a nice 2 week January thaw. I hope so anyways..

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Grow a Pair" GAP. Not quite as hip at HTFU but I like it. Hey C'Fool. HTFU and GAP.

I like it.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at the permanent residence in Louisiana for the week. 43 miles today. Flat, no hills, but a little windy. Temps in the low 70s. Cold weather is following me down here. Highs only in low to mid 50s for the rest of the week. Back up to the frozen north for next week.

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Ahem...

The pic is from the winter of 2007-08, but I just put the studded snow tires on the Portland Wednesday morning this week. Same bike, same snow tires, same old rider.

Sounds like more fun than a spin class.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem...

When I am trying to use a bit of rain as an excuse to not ride for a day or two this winter, I am going to remember this picture, lube the chain and get rolling. Thanks for the kick in the hind quarters.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe time to find a winter activity to make you smile!

Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last couple of weeks have not been suitable for riding in the UK but yesterday and the thaw set in- We have floods now.

But we have been promised that the weather will change back to below freezing as of today. Road riding is out with the ice for me.

So MTB is going to be used again this winter.

But if we had the long extended periods of snow and Ice that some of you have- it would have to be studded tyres for me.

2010 is not finished for us but it is going to take a bit of adjustment to get used to riding the mtb for a while.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem...

YOU are my hero.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Looking at the forecast and my schedule I think I may have completed the 2010 outdoor biking season. The ice is in and it does not look like it will melt and dry before the snow comes. Oh well - I guess it's indoor cycling - if you can call it that. If this past spring is any indicator it will be late March or early April before the bikes will see the pavement again.
    I'll trade you!

I just got home from Albany about four hours ago to a foot of heavy, wet, tightly packed and drifted snow in my driveway. It took almost three hours to dig our way into the house!!

I'll trade you my foot of snow and the predicted 8 -14 inches due during the next 24 hours for the icy patches I saw in Albany over the past three days (even with your Nor-easter that's rolling in as I type this).

All kidding aside, that was a COLD wind you all had blowing through Albany today. Stay safe on the slopes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    "Grow a Pair" GAP. Not quite as hip at HTFU but I like it. Hey C'Fool. HTFU and GAP.

I like it.
    When you move to the NE then maybe you will have a leg to stand on - in the mean time keep lounging around and downing those bon bons waiting for race training to begin . For me its now ski & spin/core season, yesterday was the first spin class for me and the bikes are all tuck away for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Maybe time to find a winter activity to make you smile!

I envy those in the west with the great snow - but I truly love our little heaven in the Adirondacks. I will make it out west a few times this season - last year for my 5 days at Alta - 100" of snow, once in a lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I'll trade you!

I just got home from Albany about four hours ago to a foot of heavy, wet, tightly packed and drifted snow in my driveway. It took almost three hours to dig our way into the house!!

I'll trade you my foot of snow and the predicted 8 -14 inches due during the next 24 hours for the icy patches I saw in Albany over the past three days (even with your Nor-easter that's rolling in as I type this).

All kidding aside, that was a COLD wind you all had blowing through Albany today. Stay safe on the slopes.
    Lenny,
    Thanks - you guys have been getting pounded. So far no real accumulation here, just cold (not been over freezing for a few days and looks like this will hang through the weekend) my morning route has a lot of ice from drainage on that last big rain, so it won't be safe for a long time. You and Bruce can ride in that stuff, I am not that dedicated. I do enough heroic efforts at home/work, cycling is just for fun. If you come through again and have an hour or two to kill - let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

Lenny,
    Thanks - you guys have been getting pounded. So far no real accumulation here, just cold (not been over freezing for a few days and looks like this will hang through the weekend) my morning route has a lot of ice from drainage on that last big rain, so it won't be safe for a long time. You and Bruce can ride in that stuff, I am not that dedicated. I do enough heroic efforts at home/work, cycling is just for fun. If you come through again and have an hour or two to kill - let me know.
    Pounded and then some!!

We were away attending our daughter's graduation from SUNY Albany (Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, With Highest Honors.....[the site's auto censor won't allow the latin notation]!!) and didn't realize how deep things had gotten back home.

By the time I got the driveway cleared and the car unloaded (the first of two loads of my daughters stuff from college), and the garage roof cleared my back was shot! We had to shovel again this afternoon before I left for work. The roads in my neighborhood are in a bad way, it's tough enough to navigate them in my S-10. The closest four lane is Lake Avenue. I'm terrified of Lake Avenue when I'm driving it with my truck!!

For now I am just leaving the bike on the back porch. Soooo.... this evening I got into the S-10, turned on the heat, turned on the radio, eased my foot onto the gas pedal and tried to make the best of it.

I miss my bike already.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Pounded and then some!!

We were away attending our daughter's graduation from SUNY Albany (Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, With Highest Honors.....[the site's auto censor won't allow the latin notation]!!) and didn't realize how deep things had gotten back home.

By the time I got the driveway cleared and the car unloaded (the first of two loads of my daughters stuff from college), and the garage roof cleared my back was shot! We had to shovel again this afternoon before I left for work. The roads in my neighborhood are in a bad way, it's tough enough to navigate them in my S-10. The closest four lane is Lake Avenue. I'm terrified of Lake Avenue when I'm driving it with my truck!!

For now I am just leaving the bike on the back porch. Soooo.... this evening I got into the S-10, turned on the heat, turned on the radio, eased my foot onto the gas pedal and tried to make the best of it.

I miss my bike already.
    WOW - congrats on the daughter.
    She will find something to do with that degree - maybe studying old relics like us
    I guess you just have to wait for the lake to freeze over and then things will settle down and maybe you can get out again. In the mean time you can always do spin classes - NOT!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Chicago is having a very cold December and with snow & ice covering almost everything, I will have to wait before I ride again.

So, I'm thinking this;

not this;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-08-10 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're correct Mr. Cyclinfool. Tonight's lakeshore forecast says maybe 14" more by noon tomorrow, and a significant storm over the weekend which will set up another week of Lake Effect. O.K., so now I'm looking foreward to the January thaw....or maybe I should move to the South side of the county.

On a different note: I bought five gallons of gas for the snow blower yesterday...it cost me almost as much as the snow blower did!!! Riding the bike so much had insulated me from the rising gas prices...I'm not insulated from them now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast