Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: I am not 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not 50+.

I'm 23. I'd just like to say that all you guys rock and I hope I'm riding as hard as you guys are in 27 years! Hell, I wish I could ride as hard as some of you guys do right now!

It's inspiring for a young person to look at people that are a bit older and not think, "man, I don't want to get old, old people are slow and boring."

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notfred
    I'm 23. I'd just like to say that all you guys rock and I hope I'm riding as hard as you guys are in 27 years! Hell, I wish I could ride as hard as some of you guys do right now!

It's inspiring for a young person to look at people that are a bit older and not think, "man, I don't want to get old, old people are slow and boring."
    To be absolutely honest, I wouldn't mind being 23 again (that would be 42 years ago in 1963)!

I was the 1st Lieutenant squadron commander of an USAF training squadron at Lowry TTC in Denver, and planning on getting married. No other worries or cares.

Man, how life zooms by!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-11-04 at 06:57 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notfred,

23, in 1972. Married two years, no kids yet, working on Wall Street (Back Office) living for the first part of year in Staten Island the other part in Queens.

I know it was not yesterday, must have been the day before.

Up until about 4 years ago I would have loved to be 23 again, then the greatest blessing and gift a person could receive happened, I became a grandfather for the first time. I would not change being that for anything. It is because of my granddaughter I started to ride. May you be so blessed when you reach our age.
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1973 t age 23 1973, I was a newlywed "starving grad student" at UCLA, working summers and weekends at Bikecology and at my freelance stereo equipment repair business. I rode a Nishiki Competition, whereas alot of the 40- and 50-somethings rode Masis. My current commuting bike is the red Peugeot UO-8 I custom-built from a bare frame for my wife the following year.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notfred, thanks for the kind words.

I wish that when I was a 23-year-old in 1970 someone would have whispered in my ear and said, "you know that inexpensive Japanese 10-speed you bought to replace the Peugeot that was stolen in college? Ride it. Ride it many times a week. Ride it all year 'round." Unfortunately that voice didn't show up until I was 45 and I missed out on 20 years of bliss. I'm making up for that now, but, heck!

'Bent Brian
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words. Us fiftyers get our cummupence too. I know a rock hard octegenarian who regularly drops far younger riders in a heartbeat then hands their a$$es back on a silver platter. My you continue your love for cycling for many years, then when things hurt, go numb, etc, switch to a recumbent and rediscover your love of cycling!

'bent Brian

My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NotFred,

Thanks for the compliment.

Back in 1976 when I was 23, I was 23.

Marty
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotek
    NotFred,

Thanks for the compliment.

Back in 1976 when I was 23, I was 23.

Marty
    Marty; Are you a 71 grad?

My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup.
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement Notfred - nice to hear words such as these.

DnVr Fox "I was the 1st Lieutenant squadron commander of an USAF training squadron at Lowry TTC in Denver, and planning on getting married. No other worries or cares."

How Long? I was in tech school @ Lowery AFB Sep 68- May 69 before shipping out to 'Viet Nam'.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

DnVr Fox "I was the 1st Lieutenant squadron commander of an USAF training squadron at Lowry TTC in Denver, and planning on getting married. No other worries or cares."

How Long? I was in tech school @ Lowry AFB Sep 68- May 69 before shipping out to 'Viet Nam'.
    3428th Technical Training Squadron 1962-1965. I got out just as Vietnam was revving up.

We worked mostly with the ultra top secret "Special Weapons" section of the USAF, (which monitored USSR atomic bomb testing from supposedly "neutral" or even "hostile" countries, and the airmen would reside in civilian attire in special quarters with their instruments in those countries). SW had a higher priority than even SAC.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded, notfred.

I'm only 26 years young. Four years ago it was seeing the group my father-in-law rides with (many 50+, 60+ and even two 70+ riders) that inspired me to get a bit more serious about my own cycling. Who wouldn't want to be involved in a sport that you can keep on doing for life without destroying your body??

You guys and gals rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see here, I was 23 in 1977. At that time I recall it was a stupid time of life, what with dope, LSD, and wasted chances. It was a great time for music, with Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Hawkwind, The Who, Led Zep, Deep Purple, and a host of others. I tell that to the youngsters of today and they just look blank.
    If your bollocks ain't sore, yer ain't on yer boike!

My Bikes
    1982 Steve Bauer road bike, 1985 Custom Campy road bike, 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Norco Bigfoot MTB, 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bokkie, we're the same age!!!
    I was 23 in 1977, a big year for me - the year my first son was born (I was pretty well over the dope 'n stuff by then!). I commuted to work a few times that summer on a "Hi Rider" Japenese 10 speed I bought for $60 used. I shoulda spent the bucks on a better bike, I just gave the Hi Rider away to a nephew about 8 or 9 years ago.

Cycling is one of the few sports that people of greatly varying ages can participate in on more or less an equal footing. My weekly road ride is with people in their 30's and 40's, the weekly MTB ride includes some in their 20's as well. I usually keep up with them, but avoid the ramps, bridges and funny stuff the MTB guys like to go over and fall off of.
    ...!

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    ...I was the 1st Lieutenant squadron commander of an USAF training squadron at Lowry TTC in Denver, and planning on getting married. No other worries or cares...
    30 years ago I was a student at Lowry and just meeting my better half!!
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

How Long? I was in tech school @ Lowery AFB Sep 68- May 69 before shipping out to 'Viet Nam'.
    When I was 23, 30 years ago now, I was already finished with my Vietnam tour and was stationed in Thailand.
    Just Peddlin' Around

"Big old guy"
    My Bikes
    Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bokkie and Pinerider we are all the same age!! In 1977 I had a terrible and great year, I figured my life was over, in 1976 I had gotten hurt before the Olympic training camp (not cycling) and 10 years of training went out the window. With the Olympics you usually only have one shot. I went from training 4 hours a day to less then I hour and drinking too much while not attending classes. Sometime during that fog year I meet a great lady who dragged me back to the land of the living, and I finished school. Around the same time I started riding a bike again.

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 23 in 1982, I don't officially qualify for this forum yet but this is the one I can relate to the most.
    I am just getting back into cycling after about 10 years living the "good" life. I finally figured out it was'nt so good after all (got overweight and out of shape).
    I can only aspire to being like you folks some day! Maybe by the time I turn 50!
    I'll keep hanging around here for inspiration if you don't mind.

My Bikes
    Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 23 in '65 a really great time to be young; Elvis, The Beatles, Chuck Berry........
    I started riding again in 2000 on my '87 Cannonale MTB and have recently (late last year) started riding road and beginning in December I've begun road racing, yahoooo!!!
    I'm absolutely stoked. I have bought a new 10sp GT and I'm going gang busters, training with some young triathletes Saturday mornings and racing Sunday mornings and Monday afternoons. How long has this fun been going on????
    I could say, as I did when I started sailing in '86, that I wish I'd started earlier but just how much fun can one person have???

I hope all you 23y'olds have as much fun in your lives as I've had/am having, in mine.

Stay young.
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

My Bikes
    Getting a Burley Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliments/encouragements notfred.

I'm 57, broke my back, 3 surgeries, Hep C survivor, chemo, creak allot, but LOVE CYCLING and LOVE LIFE TO THE MAX

-----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by notfred

My Bikes
    Klein, Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bokkie and Pinerider we are all the same age!!
    hoss10 too!!

I'm right there with you. I guess we all hit the big 5-0 last year, huh?

I for one have NO DESIRE to be 23 again. I'll stay were I'm at. I will be doing The Assault On Mt. Mitchell this year for the third time and I would bet that most of my kids friends couldn't ride a bike 20 miles.

Thanks notfred for the encouraging words.