Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Many More Years to Bicycle?

Calculate your virtual age

http://www.peterrussell.com/Odds/VirtualAge.php

Looks like I have about 34 more years to pedal away (till I am 105)!! Think my 1998 Lemond BA will last that long? By then it will be a classic.

How about you?

(EDIT:

It looks like I am going to have to drop out of the 50+ forum for at least 7 years.

Bye guys and gals - see you when my "virtual age" gets to 50.

And I don't classify the type of bicycling I do as ANY kind of a risk.)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-11-10 at 07:51 AM.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    45/95 - not bad! Heart disease knocked me down a few years. I expect to still be riding my 1962 Follis road bike (I'm the original owner) all the way to the end of the road.

I'm 62. And, at least when I'm on my bike, I feel 24.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh...maybe I won't wait until the first of the year to get serious about that diet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 years less than my actual age. And I get to ride another 44 years! Woo-hoo!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That toy puts my virtual age at less than half my actual age and says I am less than half-way done. I sure wish I could ride like I did in my twenties. I wasn't quite sure how to rank cycling on the risky hobby question. I guess it kind of depends on where one rides. Maybe I underestimated the risk.

My wife and I often estimate the life expectancies of people we know based on similar factors as the calculator that was linked to. We chuckle at the thought that we are "younger" than people who were born decades after we were.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what did you put for high-risk activities? Seems to knock a lot off if you say you are jumping out of the plane ... wonder if he would consider bicycling on roads a high risk activity?
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes!

My wife did a similar exercise for our retirement fund. Putting the two together says we are going to outlive our money.

I don't consider the kind of bicycling that I do to be high risk. I do some road riding but I'm selective about which roads.

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Yikes!

My wife did a similar exercise for our retirement fund. Putting the two together says we are going to outlive our money.

I don't consider the kind of bicycling that I do to be high risk. I do some road riding but I'm selective about which roads.
    Isn't it odd that the retirement fund folks think you're not giving them enough money?

Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Yikes!

I once read of a business that hires only retired folks because they are such reliable and great workers. Maybe we need to think of a 65+ virtual business in which we could all be a part!! Maybe virtual training to younger folks in living well? You know, one of those "Listen to me - I know how you should live" TV thingies - but on the internet - like Dr. Wayne Dyer?? Or that Sanjay Gupta fellow - or Dr. Oz - or the new fad - having a "life coach?" A group of folks so motivating and wise they know how to tell (or is it con) others into paying them advice about how to live.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    33.7 / 104.3 -- it's a good thing I am still building my retirement accounts

One of my friends just lost his 106-year-old father. In the U.S., centenarians have the fastest percentage growth of any age group.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current age 70
    62.9 Virtual age
    89.1 Life exp.

Guess I will be here for a while
    SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're onto something big DnvrFox; you know how corps. are icing out 50+ers? Well, we should start a company/business and ice out the millennials and gen Xers.

I think I was somewhere around 31/97, but if any of this is accurate, I would really hate to live so long (relatively speaking) unless I had the health and means to make it meaningful or desirable.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    32/100.

It's been a few years since I took one of these. I like the format.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    42/85, but that's largely why I got back on a bike earlier this year, after more than 30 years off. I turn 52 next month and hopefully after a while on my bike, the gap between those numbers will widen, FWIW.

It's amazing how spectacularly out of shape one can get without really trying. I'm so far behind everyone else I see post here, but I can already seen at least some progress in the limited amount of riding I've had time to do. Today I did a bit, but we're undergoing a change in the weather and those 10-15 MPH headwinds are killer (at least to me!).
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my age (71), and entere everything "perfectly" and came up with a virtual age of 35.6 and a life expectance of 117,4

Sort of scary. Pass the steak, and creamy mashed potatoes, please.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a nice version of the test; I have done one something like this but I like this version.

I'm going to live to 96, BTW.

What did you guys answer for "risk taking activities?" Do you count lots of cycling as a risk-taking activity? Between cycling, skiing and some of the hiking I do I answered the risk question as "often." I don't think any of these are *that* risky but I think measured against the "average" person they probably are.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-11-10 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    What did you guys answer for "risk taking activities?" Do you count lots of cycling as a risk-taking activity? Between cycling, skiing and some of the hiking I do I answered the risk question as "often." I don't think any of these are *that* risk but I think measured against the "average" person they probably are.

I don't consider the bicycling I do to have any unusual risk, given that I am in good shape, have good balance, ride carefully, etc. In fact, I consider it less risky than the "average" person taking a walk around the neighborhood. YMMV

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I don't consider the bicycling I do to have any unusual risk, given that I am in good shape, have good balance, ride carefully, etc. In fact, I consider it less risky than the "average" person taking a walk around the neighborhood. YMMV
    I completely agree, but -- I am not sure that the "average" person is even taking walks around the neighborhood. From the perspective of the test, you are getting extra years in life expectancy from all the exercise you are getting, but it needs to be balanced off by the risk you are taking by cycling (even if it's just a little, and far outweighed by the benefit of cycling). I guess, too, one has to consider what kind of cycling you're doing -- if it's mainly on MUPs it's probably not as life threatening as lots of riding in traffic, riding at night, riding in bad weather, etc.

In any case, if you play with the answers, it appeared to me that they don't mark down that much for risk in any case.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came in 17 years under real time, with another 38 years of life expectancy. All of my grandparents lived till their late 80's and one into their 90's. It could happen.

Neil_B
    I took it, and it asked me to check if I had a pulse.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this test Dnvr.
    I'll be 66 in a few days and the test results say my virtual age is 44.9 and my life expectancy is 101.1. Looks like my sports med doc was right. He told after my knee surgery that I could ride until I was 100.

44.9? Hmm, maybe I should give cyclocross racing some more thought.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring 2008
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to try I am 60 and my virtual age is 39.9 and my life expectancy is 98.1 not bad at all.
    Remember it's mind over matter
    if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more and drive less.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    33.7 / 104.3 -- it's a good thing I am still building my retirement accounts

One of my friends just lost his 106-year-old father. In the U.S., centenarians have the fastest percentage growth of any age group.
    One of my patients in the hospital last summer was an 88 year old woman. While I was talking with her, she told me her mother was coming to visit her that afternoon.

I thought "88 years old -- maybe a little dementia here?"

After lunch I stopped by her room again and she introduced me to her 108 year old mother!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virtual age 31, life expectancy 101 - guess I better save more for retirement.
    Last edited by cyclinfool; 12-11-10 at 07:36 PM.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rudy actual age 78; virtual 53.3; expectancy 110.7
    Kay actual age 75; virtual 61.1; expectancy 97.9
    Been married 56 years . . . seems like we've got another 22 years of marriage to count on!
    Best get to the drawing board and design our next tandem bike for us . . .
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

Sort of a fun and grin test!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast