User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Chance to be Faster Than My Daughter

Last Christmas when my 22-year-old daughter came home to visit, I was able to ride faster than her. But just barely.

Since then she's been riding a lot, and did her first century at an average speed of 15.5 MPH.

So I'm going to do a lot of training between now and Christmas to see if I can extend my dominance by one more year. My secret weapon is that it's too cold and dark for her to ride much (in Kansas City), while I can do a lot of rides.

Wish me luck.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Course you can beat your daughter. Besides the obvious of Low tyre pressures and binding brakes--We work it on one of our lads that is too fit. Let him get ahead at a junction and yell out Left as she approaches. Let her go about 100 yards and then call her back because you meant right. Few of those and she will be getting tired- especially if there is a hill involved.

Any one else with any ideas.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Course you can beat your daughter. Besides the obvious of Low tyre pressures and binding brakes--We work it on one of our lads that is too fit. Let him get ahead at a junction and yell out Left as she approaches. Let her go about 100 yards and then call her back because you meant right. Few of those and she will be getting tired- especially if there is a hill involved.

Hmm I was going to suggest training until you puke. But I like Steps methods better.

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the natural order of things, she SHOULD be able to beat him. Just remember that youth and skill are no match for age and treachery!

Sorry, Al.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest mistake I ever made was buying my daughter a road bike. The only place I can beat her is on some of the hills we have here in Central FL. Please don't let this become public knowledge as it is very embarrassing for me.
    SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign up for the Tour of the Unknown Coast, tell her you're both doing the century route (the one with The Wall), and tell her you'll meet her at the finish. Once she's out of sight, go on the shorter route. Like badamsjr mentioned, there's a lot to be said for treachery.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 35 y/o sons and by the time they were in their teens I would have been in their respective rear-view mirrors (had we been riding at that time). One of the boys is a Cat 3, Cat 2 wanna be; the only way I could ride with him is to get him on the back of the tandem.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
    The biggest mistake I ever made was buying my daughter a road bike. The only place I can beat her is on some of the hills we have here in Central FL. Please don't let this become public knowledge as it is very embarrassing for me.
    When she isn't looking, let all the air out of her tires, and refill them with Slime; No air, just Slime.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjc9640 View Post
    What? That there are hills in central Florida?

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 18 year old son interptreted this as: "In other words, be a prick"
    In his defence, he did see the funny side (the hyper-fit so-and-so)

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was victorious! Yay me!

We just got back from a 36 mile hilly ride that we squeezed in between rainstorms. I dropped her on all the hills but one, where she somehow got the jump on me and I couldn't catch up. On the last 8 mile stretch, I put a lot of distance between us so that she couldn't sprint ahead at the last minute.

I would have felt bad had she not texted me about how she was going to kick my butt.

I actually beat her more handily than last year, but she hasn't been on a bike much lately (just running and spin classes). So next year, I may be in trouble.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 12-26-10 at 06:02 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life's little victories.........................are occasionally wiped away by crushing defeats. She will kill you next year. Enjoy it now while it's fresh and clean.
    I owe-therefore I am.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like she may just have taken pity on the old man and didn't want to crush his silly dream.....
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Sounds like she may just have taken pity on the old man and didn't want to crush his silly dream.....
    I agree. She sounds like a nice young woman.

I wasn't as nice as her when I was young. The first and only time I ever beat my dad at tennis was a summer evening after he had three vodka martinis. I actually planned it that way. Unfortunately, he knew he had lost the psychological advantage and wouldn't play tennis against me anymore.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al, shame on you for kicking sand in a "girls" face
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but it looks like a years training is ahead. Introduce her to a Pie Ride and get her to do one as often as possible.

And for you--It looks like a long year year in "Zone 1".
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was rooting for you daughter. It was a really interesting experience watching both my sons realize they could physically out perform me with some things. My oldest is now much stronger than I am, and my youngest has a great sense of balance and no fear of heights (He'll jump on a 40 ft ladder without a thought.). For years, I tried to out perform them. But after watching the joy and respect they displayed in being able to do something better than I can, it actually warmed my heart to see that they were not boastful, condescending, or arrogant. I think they saw this as a right of passage; it was yet another sign that they were young men ready to take their rightful place in the world as such. Not having daughters, I don't know what that would be like. In any event, I'll likely be rooting for your daughter again next year (not your loss, but her ascension).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure she didn't "back off just a little?" She may just be feeling sorry for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time I could kick dad's butt (figuratively) the desire was gone.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al,
    This post brings back memories of teaching my son to ride dirt bikes then to race MX. I could easily take him anywhere on the track for 2 years then came the day that I tried to pick him off on the track and he just motored away from me. It felt proud and strained at the same time. They grow up, we get older and they just blow past us some day. I would not change the feeling for any reason on earth.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in December, I had occasion to finish up a ride with a lady in the club. The previous month, she had kept up with the group just fine, while I had been behind it. But in December, she hadn't ridden much since that previous ride and was suffering. So the moral is, keep on your training day after day, and if the other person ever takes 2 weeks off, you've got 'em.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Retro-guy
    My Bikes
    1980 Raleigh Super Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter was home for the holidays, and brought her older bike with her, so we could go on a ride together. I was OK on flat sections, but was lagging well behind on any hills, due to being both 50+ AND a Clyde.... She was nice enough to take it easy so I could at least partially catch up on flat sections.

The other problem is that she runs marathons and also does tri's (basically Olympic distance and half-Ironmen), so I am at a complete fitness disadvantage!