Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy cheap bikes are as fast as l/W Expensive ones

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11958903

Hopefully you will be able to read the link but it is not often we get "Good" cycling content on the news over here.

Don't care what he says- I prefer Boreas to the Bianchi for commuting anytime.
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-12-10 at 06:03 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this is all that surprising. I mean a couple of million or so commuters in Amsterdam or Copenhagen can't be wrong ... look at the bikes they ride ...

Now, when it comes to a hilly Century that's another story.
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They cite Dr. Groves saying it took him 98 minutes on his old heavy bike to do his commute and 97 minutes on a new bike. Both bikes were road bikes but they did not give the models, specs, or weights.

Look if you are into even a Shimano 105 equipped road bike, you are going to get something like 98% of your performance. By paying more $$$$$$$$$$$, you can get a bike that is more dialed into your personal preferences, maybe nicer shifting, better handling, lighter, cooler paint job, more wow factor and that stuff. If you are a die hard cyclist and spend a fair amount of time at it, even a pretty high end bike gets to be reasonably cost effective.

But does it make that much of a difference?

But what they did not look at was the difference between a 105 equipped road bike and say a really cheap and heavy bike of perhaps problematic functioning like a big box retailer special. I would think that the commute would be noticeably different. It might not be so different in time but it might be very different in how it felt to ride the dern thing. Also, I don't know how well the brakes work on the really, really cheap bikes.

Let me make a differentiation here. There are inexpensive bikes. These are perfectly mechanically functional, maintainable and safe bikes. They just might be heavy, clunky and a handle adequately. I think there are cheap bikes out there that are not very funcional mechanically, not really capable of being maintained and not horribly safe because of poor brakes and handling. These bikes are made to hang up in the garage and maybe ride around they neighborhood at a walking pace.

Now, I used to ride with a bunch of strong hard riding cyclists. Virtually everyone in the group rode on Dura Ace equipped bikes. I was considered a bit of a fred for riding 105. The amusing thing was that the strongest and fastest rider in the group (not me, I did just fine on good days though) rode the cheapest bike.

So why do the pros ride high end bikes? Well think about it. How much does it cost for the care and feeding of a professional cyclist if you are a sponser? It is far more than the cost of even a top end bike. A top end bike may get you another .3% of performance out of your rider over that same guy on a 105. Given the fact that in cycling events, the top 10 places are only seperated by less than a 1%, you would be nuts not to pay for the bikes that would give the top performance.

For recreational riders, however, no one is going to pay me $$$$$$ for climbing the local big hill in 5 seconds less than normal. A minor performance advantage given by a bike that costs far more is not really meaningful to me. Heck, I can get a far greater performance boost by any number of other things like training or losing some weight.

I think the article is misleading. It says the bike does not make a difference. A quality bike makes a world of difference. It will ride better. It will be easier to maintain. More importantly, it will be FUN to ride and not something you have to fight constantly. What is true is that in order to get a bike that rides well, is easy to maintain and is fun to ride, you don't have to spend big bucks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a doctor saves 2 minutes a day, he'll pay for a carbon fiber bike after a couple of years.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some years back we had a charity fun run and 10 mile bike ride here in the small town where I live. So I signed up for the 10 mile ride, all inside the city limits. It was a five mile course with a turnaround.

I met one of the local school boys, an all-state linebacker, at the 3-1/2 mile point as I was going out. He was coming back. He was riding a NEXT fully sprung mountain bike and just smoked everyone.

Sometimes it's not about the bike.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    They cite Dr. Groves saying it took him 98 minutes on his old heavy bike to do his commute and 97 minutes on a new bike.
    You got it backwards, the old bike was faster. Here is the article. Obviously this is not a serious study ... it was tongue in cheek for sure.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "A reduction in the weight of the cyclist rather than that of the bicycle may deliver great benefit at reduced cost," the study says".

I agree with that.

However, when I traded up from my 33 lbs 700c Hybrid to a 25 lbs Cyclocross bike, I saw a huge increase in speed. Yes, 17mph average is faster than 14 mph.

I also started doing longer rides. My typical long ride on the Hybrid was about 35 miles. Now my short fitness rides are 55 miles and a 200k is something I look forward to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
    You got it backwards, the old bike was faster. Here is the article. Obviously this is not a serious study ... it was tongue in cheek for sure.
    That is the case; this one has suckered a lot of people on various forums.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was a Serious study and only published 3 days ago. But reading through-I can see several flaws that could have occured. The bikes are not identical in set up- tyres or suitability for the test. Get traffic and the fastest of bikes will be slowed. I found this on a 4 mile ride along Brighton Seafront. Just at the start two riders came past me going a lot faster---I got away from the last Pedestrian crossing before them. Not the bikes but this was a slow rider up against two fit- fast ones. I had better luck with the traffic or as I like to call it-"Better Traffic Management"

How many hills involved- How tight were the corners.

So now it is up to you to decide if he is right or not.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it well established that the best bike is the one we actually ride, ride, ride, ride, ride . . . .?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight of the bike doesn't matter. How much energy you put into pedaling does. I can pedal a 20lb bike at 20mph. I can also pedal a 30lb. bike at the same speed, but I'll use much more energy. Which would you rather pedal over long distances at this speed?
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling's dirty little secret: it doesn't really matter what you ride, as long as you ride it.

Corollaries: the nicer the bike, the more likely you are to ride it. If you can't tell the difference, get the cheaper one. Up to a point (of diminishing returns), the more you pay for the components, the easier they are to service and maintain, and the less time you'll have to spend doing these activities. And when you show up for a ride, the guys you want to ride behind are NOT the guys on the shiny new high-zoot carbon fiber art pieces; no, it's usually the guys on the old, well-used steel frames that look very business-like indeed.

L.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what bike I use when I commute. The determining factor is whether I make the traffic lights. I can ride a decent speed on my converted mtb and I still don't get ahead of the average rider that I pass along the way. Everyone just catches up at the lights. The only place it makes a difference is on the bridge, with its long uphill, and that only accounts for about a minute max.

Unless you have a long stretch on your commute of unencumbered riding where you can really crank it, it won't matter much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a rather expensive lightweight bike, but it rode like a wet noodle whenever I hammer downed on it, requiring more energy to ride. Something felt wrong, but I really didn't give this much thought until I switched back over to my heavier, more rigid winter commuter.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I think it was a Serious study and only published 3 days ago.
    There are about five threads on this subject. Do a search.

It's a joke. The british journal has a history of publishing articles like this in the December issue.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Isn't it well established that the best bike is the one we actually ride, ride, ride, ride, ride . . . .?
    The man makes a GOOD point!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    There are about five threads on this subject. Do a search.

It's a joke. The british journal has a history of publishing articles like this in the December issue.
    I agree. Do not underestimate this group's ability to turn this into a political / religious debate on heavy versus light bikes replete with who dropped who and why a steel frame is better.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on now, let's get real. Given the choice, which would you rather be SEEN on -- a Huffy or a Cervelo?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
    It's true. If it was a serious article, it would have said the carbon bike was laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Come on now, let's get real. Given the choice, which would you rather be SEEN on -- a Huffy or a Cervelo?
    The Huffy. They're made by Serotta, right? The Cervelo is obviously a Chinese knockoff of the Cervélo. That accent aigu is worth a lot of money.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys. This is the over 50s forum. Over 50, you're supposedly entitled to start enjoying the fruits of your labor. Do you drive a Chevy/Toyota/Volkswage or a Cadillac/Lexus/BMW. Any of those aforementioned vehicles will get you from A to B in the same amount of time, but not with the same panache. Same goes for bicycles. It's time to live it up a little.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on that!
    R&J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK, it seems I can buy any high end bike while I can't seem to get my wife on board with that Porsche I want.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the MAMIL acronym.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight is not the only factor. I commute everyday on a Focus Maleta Hybrid it’s about 40 Lbs with bags, lights, Rain jacket & pants, water bottles, pump, repair kit and all the other crap I take with me every day. On days off my fun bike is a Fuji CCR1 all carbon at about 25 Lbs with all the junk on it. Given that the engine is the same (that’s me) I am about 10 to 15 % slower on the Focus on the same road and distance. I’m even slower on my 29er. Factors are the overall weight, geometry, tires, PSI, wheel weight and maybe even aerodynamics. So given the same rider over the same road what bike you riding does make a big difference. BUT! Different types of bicycles have very different uses. I wouldn’t want to ride the carbon Fuji on a muddy rocky road or do a century on the Focus.

And For the guy that blows by all of us on our expensive plastic bikes, just thinks about how much faster you would be on one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast