Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclocross looks Fun ? ? ?

For a couple of years I have been thinking about a Cyclocross bike

Just changed my mind

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyc...hampionships-0

The -9deg will be in celcius So that puts it at around 15Deg F.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a bit of cyclocross during my racing career. It taught me a few things, like how to do a running jump onto a bike saddle without mashing the crown jewels, how to dismount on a descent (I still have the brake levers set up "moto" (Italian) style (left lever operates rear brake) as a result), and - most important - that if you're 6'1" and 175 pounds, you are too heavy for cyclo-cross. CX favors really light, thin guys, like climbers or runners. Especially if you're riding over bark mulch or similar soft surfaces. And carrying your bike up a hill looks nice, but just try it the third or fourth time and you'll end up pushing it up and running alongside.

It's a very O2 demanding sport. You need to be an acrobat with a very high VO2 max to do well at all. Fair warning!

L.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stapfam, I can't believe that you aren't out every weekend sloshing through the mud and snow, hoisting your bike on your shoulder and running up the hills, and bounding over the obstacles with ease.

For those with a Netflix account, watch "The 9 Ball Diaries" (streaming is available for this one) to see what cyclocross is like. Its a documentary of Tim Johnson's 2008 season narrated by him.

Personally I enjoy going to CX races and encouraging on the riders. Makes me feel young. Not sure why I'm the only "older" cyclist at the races. I'm even older than the officials.
    Last edited by RonH; 12-13-10 at 02:28 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CX looks like great fun, but at 63 there is no way. I'be end up being one of the obstacles. Besides, it's yet to really catch on in So Fla, so there are few races to even go to. I guess I'll just have to stick to videos and movies.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished up my 3rd season of cyclo cross racing. I did 10 cross races beginning the last weekend of August. It's so much fun that my last race was about 14 hours after I got off of a plane from a week’s stay in Cancun fortifying my wife’s reasoning that I’m nuts. I am not suited to excel in cross since I'm 6' and 188lbs and more of a crit/sprinter racer. The atmosphere at cross races is relaxed and inviting for new racers. Even in the upper categories racers who are usually distant to each other will let their guards down a bit. Since the races are on a 1.5 -2 mile closed course the races are very spectator friendly. Beer is also a staple at most races and in some races lapped riders are even offered "beer handups".

I don't find the racing dangerous since the courses are mostly on grass, dirt and paved pathways. My average speed for a 45 minute race is around 11 - 13 mph and seldom exceeds 20 mph. I do fall and crash with the best of them. I have raced in the cold, muddy, snowy conditions and survived to race another day. The hardest part about racing on those days is after the warmup . A good warmup is vital in racing since the races start out as a sprint then evolves into a TT for the rider. To get the good warmup and preview the course means riding and getting wet and muddy prior to the start. As soon as the warmup is done I have to clean mud, leaves and other debris out of the chain, derailers and brakes. If I were a pro there would be a crew taking care of my bike and I would be in a warm trailer putting on a dry kit. Yes, that would be nice.

Here are a couple images from this past season. The first was in Cinncy and I am about to T-bone a guy when blasting through the sand pit. The second image is early in the race on one of those wet days.

MRF_8674-600x352..jpg4019858895_72b2e2ef5b.jpg
    oldschool areodynamic brick