User Tag List

My Bikes
    Mt. Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost 50 -looking at Montana

So I'm 46 will be 47-hope that is close enough to post here :-) I have just returned to cycling (been going 3-4 hours on the weekends) and will be traveling to Bozeman MT this summer-looking for
    a) place to rent a bike -I ride a Jamis Aurora so was wondering if I should rent/borrow a mt. bike while there
    b) suggest some rides 1 or 2 days I won't mind overnighting at an inn/hotel I'm traveling light and I can't bring much with me-ie camping gear.
    c) is it safe for lone female to ride in the area? I live overseas so I'm not up on what's happening in the states-that is other than the election :-)
    American Sensei

'Bent Brian
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good place to start would be the Montana Bof Tourism, or something like that. Also try an interent search on cycling clubs in Montana. They could be helpful and you could possibly pick up a ride partner so you will not have to cycle alone. Montana is a big state and there is lots of open road (long distances) between towns.

'bent brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by American Sensei
    So I'm 46 will be 47-hope that is close enough to post here :-) I have just returned to cycling (been going 3-4 hours on the weekends) and will be traveling to Bozeman MT this summer-looking for
    a) place to rent a bike -I ride a Jamis Aurora so was wondering if I should rent/borrow a mt. bike while there
    b) suggest some rides 1 or 2 days I won't mind overnighting at an inn/hotel I'm traveling light and I can't bring much with me-ie camping gear.
    c) is it safe for lone female to ride in the area? I live overseas so I'm not up on what's happening in the states-that is other than the election :-)
    American Sensei
    I happen to have a couple of friends in Bozeman. She's a Psych Prof @ Montana State U. & he manages a
    bike shop. I'll e-mail him & see what I can find out for you. Will post something ASAP.
    "...You ask me what I like about
    Texas? Well I'd tell ya', but we could
    be here...all night long."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N7CZinMT

http://www.bikeforums.net/members/zin-7870.html

is in Great Falls - perhaps he can help!

Send him a PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by American Sensei
    American Sensei
    My friend in Bozeman replied today with the following: They rent Gary Fisher mtb & Giant road bikes for $25 full day/$18 half day.
    Chalet Sports on Main Street in downtown Bozeman
    406-587-4595
    Hope this helps.
    "...You ask me what I like about
    Texas? Well I'd tell ya', but we could
    be here...all night long."

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Bozeman you can head south towards Yellowstone. The road goes up a canyon. There is some traffic but nothing bad and the hills are not bad either. The scenery is beautiful and there are just enough places along the way to get snacks and stuff if you are careful. It is about 100 miles to West Yellowstone. So you could go all the way down and stay in West Yellowstone for the night and return. As I recall, there is a little town that has a ski resort and a couple of motels about 70 miles from Bozeman, that would be another option.