Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must be getting old... it's freaking cold out!

Got up to go riding this morning - checked the weather. 30F, Winds @ 22mph avg/gusts above 30 on my home anamometer.

Too freaking cold for me!

I used to revel in the cold when I lived in Alaska, Maine and Germany. Wtf happened?

I must be getting old.
    -----------------------------------------
    While others have labelled me antisocial at various times, it's actually not true. I just don't like people.

My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing that either a) You've lost weight and/or b) your blood just thinned out.

I'm a California native (where "cold" is defined as "anything below 60"). I get a perverse joy of hearing about folks from the east coast moving to CA, saying how we're all weak and can't handle the cold...then, after a few months, they go home for a visit...and find it's they that cannot handle the cold.
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drmweaver2 View Post
    Got up to go riding this morning - checked the weather. 30F, Winds @ 22mph avg/gusts above 30 on my home anamometer.

Too freaking cold for me!

I used to revel in the cold when I lived in Alaska, Maine and Germany. Wtf happened?

I must be getting old.
    Welcome to Namby-Pamby Land.
    Felt almost too cold to drive to work today - about fell down shoveling the driveway last night - Saturday it rained, then it got cold and froze, then it snowed yesterday.
    Is it almost Spring yet?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

MWS
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Cronus,Trek FX 7.5, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna be a long winter. I'm looking at exercise bikes LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought when I left the house today that it would be the coldest I'd ever ridden. I know I've ridden in colder ambient temperatures, but not into a 15-20 mph wind. But it didn't feel as bad as I expected. I think my layers are superior today than what I used to use. You just gotta have the right clothes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are suffering in 60F temps here on the plains of "cold" Colorado.

MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFriday
    63° F | 36° F

67° F | 34° F

52° F | 25

But, I am sick and staying indoors!!!!!!!!

BTW, we are ALL getting "old" - or not.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready to ride to work. On the way home tonight I'm stopping for the public meeting on the draft of the Rochester Bicycle Master Plan.

Wanna bet I'll be the only one there on a bike?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had fog on Sat. morn with 54 deg.F at the start of the ride, then the fog lifted and we had 75 by the finish (50 miles and lots of climbing later!).

On Sun. it started out mid-60's and ended (only 30 miles later_ wuss ride) in the mid 80's.

Just one more reason I moved from Missouri!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, spent yesterday getting the shanty in order. Test fired the portable heater. Put 4 lb florocarbon line in the reels. Put all the new lures, I purchased at a discount after last season ended, in the tackle bag. Put new baldes on the ice auger. Put...

Oops!

Wrong forum, sorry, carry on with the crying and whin....
    oldschool areodynamic brick

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain! I've been seriously considering turning the heat up to my age (60) instead of its usual 58. I figure if I turn it up one degree yearly it will be reasonably comfortable in about 10 years. I'm also beginning to think that being a "snowbird" wouldn't be such a bad thing either. It was 2 deg. this AM on my walk downtown.

Hey Allegheny-I've a portable ice shack collecting dust in the garage-if you ever come through sw wi its yours for the taking!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... a little perspective:
    here, we have 100+ cms snow on the ground (result of last week's storm). Yesterday, +4 degrees c, with mixed rain/ice/snow falling steadily on top of the aforementioned 100+cms snow for about 18 hours. Last night/this morning: snap freeze; air temperature this a.m. -15degrees c (+ 40-60kmh wind[chill]); expecting another 20-30 cms snow over the next 48 hours.
    Lous'ana sounds like winter (cycling) paradise to me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay.. a bit of personal perspective. I have "wintered over" in McMurdo-Antarctica, spent two winters in Alaska, 4 in Maine and worked a winter on Mount Washington (the windiest palce in the US). But all of those were at least a dozen years ago.

The difference between what WAS cold and what IS cold now has to be age-related, it seems to me.

Then again, I still have my looks --- the mirror borrows them often but I always get them back.
    Last edited by drmweaver2; 12-13-10 at 10:39 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    While others have labelled me antisocial at various times, it's actually not true. I just don't like people.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that as my circulatory system has changed with age, I need to wear different layers than I used to. I also find that wind tends to chill me more that it used to. So, I look for shells that are windproof up to 60+ mhp. Makes a big difference in terms of my wanting to go out.

BTW, there's no question you're getting old. We all are. The real question is if we've learned to make the adaptation necessary to continue doing the things we love.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only a 12 mile ride to work that I did this morning at dark-thirty, but it was 22 degrees, and yes, that's colder than I like.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drmweaver2 View Post
    Okay.. a bit of personal perspective. I have "wintered over" in McMurdo-Antarctica, spent two winters in Alaska, 4 in Maine and worked a winter on Mount Washington (the windiest palce in the US). But all of those were at least a dozen years ago.

The difference between what WAS cold and what IS cold now has to be age-related, it seems to me.

Then again, I still have my looks --- the mirror borrows them often but I always get them back.
    Good stuff indeed! My experience is a little different: West Coast (B.C.) born/brought up, last 20 years in southwestern Ontario.
    I'll never acclimatize to the winters here -- hopeless; and I don't ... like ... cold!
    So ... 60ish F. this time of year sounds balmy to me, even at age 60 (ish).
    Cheers!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    Hey Allegheny-I've a portable ice shack collecting dust in the garage-if you ever come through sw wi its yours for the taking!
    I've booked marked this thread. Thanks for the offer!
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When is this "global warming" thing going to kick in and make me feel warm again?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter is taking hold, high tomorrow here is 20 this is after a warm front came through last night with a lot of rain. So now we freeze again. The roller coaster fronts have given me a bad cold, so I cuddle up under a blanket waiting for when I can go do a spin class...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even here in sunny So Fla were freezing.... literally. It's supposed to be 31 tonight. And with 15 mph winds. I usually ride a 5 am for 2 hrs or so, but tomorrow I'll sleep in. To make matters worse, I just found a duplicate record for a metric back in April, so now I'm 63 mi further back in my 7,000 mi goal for 2010. I've to 3 weeks to rack up the last 300 mi. Bummer. The weather is supposed to warm later in the week. I'll have to do a metric on thursday just to get back to even.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold has gotten old. I'm ready for warmer weather.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am in NW Florida, we are not used to the current lows and wind chill factors we are experiencing. Our low in our Zip code is forecast at 19 F. It is age for me, I used to go in shirt sleeves most of the year here and I work in construction as an engineer on local Naval bases. Now with 16 surgeries in 10 years I find myself bundled up clothes wise and wearing my flight jacket to the bases all the time. Our son is in Quebec and he as acclimated to the cold and absolutely loves that and the snow. They are at 100+ cm as of last week and it is snowing now. BTW, our low is below the Sherburrne, Quebec forecast low tonight, weird to me.

All said I will still ride when the surgeon releases me, hopefully on 06 Jan 11, and the schedule of afternoon and weekend rides can be resumed then. I have been looking at warm riding kit seriously and will be investing in tights, socks, gloves and a good riding jacket.

Bill

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low teens at night here in my part of NC, 30's during the day. I gave up riding and now walk 4-5 miles each day. Its a nice change really, I'll probably mix the two when it warms up.
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 83 on Saturday and 85 on Sunday... It's not suppose to be hot in December! I got all dehydrated and dizzy this weekend on my long ride... I pray for cold weather to hit California!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    I'm guessing that either a) You've lost weight and/or b) your blood just thinned out.

I'm a California native (where "cold" is defined as "anything below 60"). I get a perverse joy of hearing about folks from the east coast moving to CA, saying how we're all weak and can't handle the cold...then, after a few months, they go home for a visit...and find it's they that cannot handle the cold.
    You're right about that. When I first moved to Sunnyvale, I thought you all were crazy complaining when it was 40 degrees. After having moved back to Wisconsin after 12 years in California, winters are much harder to deal with. it was -2 here this morning.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Good stuff indeed! My experience is a little different: West Coast (B.C.) born/brought up, last 20 years in southwestern Ontario.
    I'll never acclimatize to the winters here -- hopeless; and I don't ... like ... cold!
    So ... 60ish F. this time of year sounds balmy to me, even at age 60 (ish).
    Cheers!
    +1, but only in ON for 14 years. Whenever I vist Vancouver in winter I freeze my butt off. The moisture just soaks right through. Don't get me wrong. As soon as this career thing ends, I am back on the Wet Coast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast