My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped...

The final 20lbs that is.

I had been stuck at 195 for a couple of years. Riding almost 4k miles last year and 5k this year I was becoming ever more frustrated with not being able to drop to my goal of 175lbs. I have been using a food diary to check my calories/fat etc. and nothing.

Back in the first part of October I decided to shake things up and went on the Atkins diet...I hit 173 last Wednesday and what a difference on the bike. I'm starting to bring the carbs back in to my diet in moderation, but my energy level and overall feeling of fitness is incredible. I had been doing about 10-15 carbs / day since 10/08/10. I'm not saying it's for everyone but shaking things up a little sure did the trick for me. I'm in 32" pants which I haven't seen since high school.

Happy pedaling...
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

Good motivation. I need to do the same!

Michael

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya done good.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I lost a lot of weight counting calories and riding but kind of stalled out recently even though still sticking to the plan. Perhaps I should try something strange for awhile. like Adkins. Better wait till after the holidays though.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Interesting. I lost a lot of weight counting calories .
    Yes Looigi,

I should count calories too, but it's just so tedious . . . that I don't. Was able to drop from 185 to 165 fairly easily; now stuck between 161 and 162 trying to get to 155 as my goal. I'm kind of "stalled out" too.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all...I'm convinced that everyone is different, but like I said...worked for me.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yes Looigi,

I should count calories too, but it's just so tedious . . . that I don't. Was able to drop from 185 to 165 fairly easily; now stuck between 161 and 162 trying to get to 155 as my goal. I'm kind of "stalled out" too.

Rick / OCRR
    Funny thing with this Atkins Rick...if you watch the carbs, the calories take care of themselves. I almost never got more than 1500-1600 calories a day while tracking carbs. And I was never hungry.
    Mark

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you are a lean mean cycling machine, congratulations.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job Metric Man. You have found what works and allows you to stay motivated. Last year I had a lot of success doing the Abs Diet and plan to begin again after the holiday season. I've gained 4 or 5 lbs since the change of seasons and training efforts have reduced sadle time. Doing core and ab work feels like I'm working hard but the HRM and belt tells me otherwise.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday my wife said STOP! I guess at 5'10" and 173lbs she suddenly looked at me and said WOW! You look almost sickly. It takes a little time to get used to it, but I'm sure if I trickled off another 5-8lbs she wouldn't notice.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats :-)

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are Metric Man, then you should be bragging about dropping to 75 kilos!

I just ride a couple of hours each day, maybe double that on weekends, and the weight just kinda takes care of itself. Although it probably works less well as you get older. But at least I find that I'm not eating like I was when I was racing bikes!

L.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this wasn't the best thread to read right after polishing off my second helping of cookies.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. What improvement did you notice on the bicycle? I assume climbing was greatly improved. Did you see an increase in your average speed?

I have always been aware that the Atkins can drop weight, but I have never heard of people being able to stay on it and most regain weight lost. I suspect you may be able to maintain your lower weight with your cycling and calorie counting.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The things I notice most is acceleration and just being more nimble. And yes, I'm pretty sure I can keep it off now. Thanks.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. I'm about 5'7" and got up to 170 a few years ago. Right around 145 now and the difference in doing almost any activity is clear. Riding, running, cardio work, racquetball all are easier. I appreciate feeling lighter on my feet almost like I'm more coordinated.
    Keep up the good work.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Funny thing with this Atkins Rick...if you watch the carbs, the calories take care of themselves. I almost never got more than 1500-1600 calories a day while tracking carbs. And I was never hungry.
    I'm sure you're right Metric Man, and I do kinda "watch" the carbs without actually counting them. I need more short but really high intensity rides to burn more (plus, obviously, eat less/fewer carbs).

Every time I have the option for "recreational eating" I ask myself "Do you really want to carry this weight up all the climbs?"

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations

I'm hoping to be dragging a few less pounds up those hills next season also.....10 down and a few more to go.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Congratulations

I'm hoping to be dragging a few less pounds up those hills next season also.....10 down and a few more to go.
    Thanks Beverly. I know. With your program you'll get there. :-)
    Mark

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the summer I don't even bother to get on the scale - I do enough riding so that the weight takes care of itself. In the winter I weigh myself every time I go to the gym. Last winter, I managed to lose a little weight steadily through much of the winter - about 15 pounds or so. This winter I've been doing about the same level of activity and my diet hasn't changed, but I'm no longer losing weight - I started out at 175 and that's where I remain. I'd really like to lose another 5 lbs, but I haven't been able to gather the dieting discipline to do it.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far out! Though I have dropped 30 pounds, I am now stuck at a plateau myself and the low carb option might be just the thing. Thanks for the reminder.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Far out! Though I have dropped 30 pounds, I am now stuck at a plateau myself and the low carb option might be just the thing. Thanks for the reminder.
    My pleasure.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, MM.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations now go climb a hill...
    SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

There is no question that a low-carb diet can really take the weight off most people. It just seems, though, that all you have to do is breathe and you inhale carbs! I could possibly be 5 pounds lighter, but anything below where I am now would seem to require a different approach than I have used: seems it is common for cyclists to 'plateau'. I'm waiting to see what increasing the efficiency of my aerobic system will do to my weight and/or how much I can eat. Improving your aerobic efficiency, with lots of lower zone base miles, is supposed to make you a fat burning machine.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast