Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-13-10, 06:33 PM   #1
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Problem with burning leaves etc.

This fall it seems smoke from burning leaves or even a thick smoke from a fireplace is causing discomfort while riding. Actually, I think I have been caught in more intensive smoke than normal. Therefore, it probably is not bothering me any more, but does smoke of this type bother everyone?
BikeArkansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 06:54 PM   #2
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
It stinks.
Against the law in many communities to burn leaves, brush, trash, wood, etc. outdoors. Exceptions for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.
Old 12-13-10, 07:41 PM   #3
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I thought the "law" would probably come up concerning burning leaves. I ride in rural Arkansas, which is all rural except downtown Little Rock, where burning is OK except when a burn ban is in effect due to dry conditions. That is just the way it is.
However, even fireplace smoke when the air is "heavy" makes it hard to breath. This is especially true when the house is at the top of a good climb.
BikeArkansas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 12:30 AM   #4
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
To quote a famous former resident of Arkansas, "I feel your pain." We have lots of semi-rural areas surrounding the city I live in (I call them suburbs; the folks who live there call them "out in the country"). Burning anything and everything is a tradition hereabouts. We finally got a partial ban on large-scale field burning, but the residential thing goes on. It is compounded by the fact that firewood needs two summers to season here, but no one can wait, so the chimney smoke is horrid. Since many of the roads I ride on for short (<50 miles) rides only have houses on one side, I often choose the direction I do my loops based on wind direction. Longer rides are less smokey since I can get out into BLM land.

Three years ago a study was published that concluded that particulate air pollution was nearly as damaging to children's I.Q. development as ingesting lead paint chips. I know we're not kids anymore, but the proposed mechanism was pretty relevant to us oldsters: the brain damage was thought to be mediated by inflammation of the brain which was caused by the particulates. I'm sure glad I'm a charter member of Team Bozo. Team motto: No Brain, No Pain.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 10:46 AM   #5
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me too. Though not the reason we moved, the noxious effect of leaf burning made it all the easier to adios Illinois in favor of Southern Arizona. The occasional brush with a cactus is less noxious than beautiful riding days made unpleasant by leaf smoke.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 11:52 AM   #6
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
Actually, I kind of like it. I'm also in a pretty rural area and the smell of burning leaves summons my youth. I'd much rather breathe that than car/truck exhaust.
slorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 12:09 PM   #7
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
After they slice and dice on your lung, you become even more sensitive to smoke, it seems. I seem to have a tougher time with it than anyone else I ride with. But it's usually windy enough here in the winter to move the smoke out well; it's only now and then that it really gets to me.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 02:32 PM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
This fall it seems smoke from burning leaves or even a thick smoke from a fireplace is causing discomfort while riding. Actually, I think I have been caught in more intensive smoke than normal. Therefore, it probably is not bothering me any more, but does smoke of this type bother everyone?
Jeez. The boy breathes a few real breaths of air and he's addicted. I think we need to put him back indoors and make him drive more till he's used to regular polluted air again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 03:51 PM   #9
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's leaves + pine straw in central Louisiana. If we didn't burn the straw, we'd be over our heads in it. We've had a few pretty cold days for down here, so burning pine straw piles and fire places are regular fare. Doesn't seem to bother my riding.

Here's an idea of the volume of pine straw. This was a drop in the bucket from the back yard. I gave up on using the wheel barrow.

Bring on the marshmallows (with loooooong sticks)!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote