User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with burning leaves etc.

This fall it seems smoke from burning leaves or even a thick smoke from a fireplace is causing discomfort while riding. Actually, I think I have been caught in more intensive smoke than normal. Therefore, it probably is not bothering me any more, but does smoke of this type bother everyone?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It stinks.
    Against the law in many communities to burn leaves, brush, trash, wood, etc. outdoors. Exceptions for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the "law" would probably come up concerning burning leaves. I ride in rural Arkansas, which is all rural except downtown Little Rock, where burning is OK except when a burn ban is in effect due to dry conditions. That is just the way it is.
    However, even fireplace smoke when the air is "heavy" makes it hard to breath. This is especially true when the house is at the top of a good climb.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To quote a famous former resident of Arkansas, "I feel your pain." We have lots of semi-rural areas surrounding the city I live in (I call them suburbs; the folks who live there call them "out in the country"). Burning anything and everything is a tradition hereabouts. We finally got a partial ban on large-scale field burning, but the residential thing goes on. It is compounded by the fact that firewood needs two summers to season here, but no one can wait, so the chimney smoke is horrid. Since many of the roads I ride on for short (<50 miles) rides only have houses on one side, I often choose the direction I do my loops based on wind direction. Longer rides are less smokey since I can get out into BLM land.

Three years ago a study was published that concluded that particulate air pollution was nearly as damaging to children's I.Q. development as ingesting lead paint chips. I know we're not kids anymore, but the proposed mechanism was pretty relevant to us oldsters: the brain damage was thought to be mediated by inflammation of the brain which was caused by the particulates. I'm sure glad I'm a charter member of Team Bozo. Team motto: No Brain, No Pain.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. Though not the reason we moved, the noxious effect of leaf burning made it all the easier to adios Illinois in favor of Southern Arizona. The occasional brush with a cactus is less noxious than beautiful riding days made unpleasant by leaf smoke.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I kind of like it. I'm also in a pretty rural area and the smell of burning leaves summons my youth. I'd much rather breathe that than car/truck exhaust.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After they slice and dice on your lung, you become even more sensitive to smoke, it seems. I seem to have a tougher time with it than anyone else I ride with. But it's usually windy enough here in the winter to move the smoke out well; it's only now and then that it really gets to me.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    This fall it seems smoke from burning leaves or even a thick smoke from a fireplace is causing discomfort while riding. Actually, I think I have been caught in more intensive smoke than normal. Therefore, it probably is not bothering me any more, but does smoke of this type bother everyone?
    Jeez. The boy breathes a few real breaths of air and he's addicted. I think we need to put him back indoors and make him drive more till he's used to regular polluted air again.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's leaves + pine straw in central Louisiana. If we didn't burn the straw, we'd be over our heads in it. We've had a few pretty cold days for down here, so burning pine straw piles and fire places are regular fare. Doesn't seem to bother my riding.

Here's an idea of the volume of pine straw. This was a drop in the bucket from the back yard. I gave up on using the wheel barrow.

Bring on the marshmallows (with loooooong sticks)!