User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The down side of weight loss

This morning (as well as this afternoon) when I got out of my car to walk into my office I felt chilled to the bone, it was about 8 degrees and I did have a good coat & hat. I have noticed this before. As my weight gets below 170 the cold seems to cut through me faster. Oh well, I guess this is how it's supposed to be. Maybe if/when I loose the next 10lbs & get under 160 I'll need to start wearing long underwear. Trading a layer of fat for a layer of clothes is probably a good trade to make.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice that, too. At 40 pounds heavier, it took fewer layers of clothes to keep me warm while fishing this time of year. It's a problem I'll live with, though.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the upside of that is you should be a lot more comfortable in the summer. I can wear more clothes, but there's a limit to what I can take off without getting arrested.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from 214 pounds in March 2009 to my present weight of 154 pounds. I didn't like cold back then and I don't like it now. I can handle more summer heat/humidity, but winter S*CKS!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    225 >>> 160 - 165, and I've noticed a similar effect.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I thought I was just getting old!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been having trouble loosing weight lately. My willpower is good though. I only have a problem with one thing.

Temptation.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Neil_B
    Four years into losing more than 100 pounds, I still feel the cold a lot more than before. In my office I sit between two 400 pound people. They always want the office kept cool. Guess which of the three of us wears a sweater?

Ever since October I've been having "I told you so" moments with Sayre Kulp, since I warned him about cold sensitivity after weight loss. 170 pounds is a lot of insulation to give up. I think this photo from my second 5k, in 35 degree weather, sums up his reaction to the cold:

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides all the new clothes you have to buy. I thought it was fun though. Besides my everyday clothes, I just got 3 pair of bibs and some new jerseys.
    George

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    Well, the upside of that is you should be a lot more comfortable in the summer. I can wear more clothes, but there's a limit to what I can take off without getting arrested.
    Yes, definitely so. Even the extra 10-15 pounds I carried in 2009 made a big difference on the bike. I really suffered on the 300k and 200k rides I did in the heat of the summer. This year at my target weight was much better.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that as I lose weight, I am colder. Generally, I wear a stocking hat most of the time in cooler temperatures. It is also very pro to wear them.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd heard all the talk about feeling colder after weight loss, and it made logical sense to me, but I had no idea. I've gone from about 270 last winter to 208 right now, and I can't believe how freakin' cold the house is. I walk around in three layers all the time, unless I'm in the basement where it's about 6-7 degrees warmer.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, more surface area compared to volume when you're smaller, and you have less thermal "inertia". As a small guy I'm constantly adjusting my clothing to conditions, because I heat up and chill down really fast. Unfortunately am also getting less tolerant to cold as I get older.

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Besides all the new clothes you have to buy. I thought it was fun though. Besides my everyday clothes, I just got 3 pair of bibs and some new jerseys.
    Shoes are the killer for me. My shoe size dropped from a 14 to a 13 to a 12.5 and now it's a 12. All of my dress shoes are too large now.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed this too when I got skinny in 2005. Unfortunately I've managed to put most of the weight back on. I hope to get chilled easily again soon. If I could lose 30-40 lb., I'd be pretty happy.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even feel cold on the rides in the summer. Don't think that is down to weight loss but probably due to the speed I now go at and the wind chill factor.

And the long johns have been on for a fortnight now. (2 weeks if that is only English in England). And they are the thermal kind.

One tip from our "Young" cyclist at work. "Panti Hose" He swears by them but his wife is complaining about cold legs.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One night way back when when I was working a bunch of us were standing around shooting the breeze with a couple of nurses, the comment was made about being cold outside, the young macho stud (not me)said he wasn't cold because he was wearing panty hose and proved it. Needless to say he got a bunch of strange looks and a new nickname "L'eggs". Thanks for reminding me of the event, Stapfam, it brought a smile to my face.

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1; Novarna Ponerosa MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think it was my imagination!!! Worked hard to lose 45 pounds this year and now feel the cold much more than before. 15# to go and I will be in thermal underwear 24/7!! And I live in Florida!!!

Charlie
    Charlie