User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cateye Strade computers

Anyone else use this computer? I bought one last June to replace an Astrale 8. Worked fine for a month, then would stop registering during a ride. I got it replaced free of charge (plug for REI here). The replacement has been fine, until Saturday and yesterday.

I had good luck with the Astrale 8, but am a bit gunshy now on the Strada, and maybe on other Cateye computers.

Yes I would like a Garmin, but maybe that will be later this year.

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but in the LBS where I help out, the biggest issues with non-functioning computers are missing magnets, putting the front wheel on the wrong way round and damaging the wiring harness lifting bikes on and off car carriers.

We tend to find Cateye's to be one of the more reliable computers.
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had nothng but problems with a Cateye Strade computer.
    Gave up on using it.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBritBloke View Post
    I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but in the LBS where I help out, the biggest issues with non-functioning computers are missing magnets, putting the front wheel on the wrong way round and damaging the wiring harness lifting bikes on and off car carriers.

We tend to find Cateye's to be one of the more reliable computers.
    The magnet is in position. And the computer will start again without adjusting anything (seemingly). I will stick with another Cateye then, at least for now. I will check back with REI, to see if I can get some type of credit. They are pretty good about it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Had nothng but problems with a Cateye Strade computer.
    Gave up on using it.
    I liked using it better than the Astrale 8. I do want a wired computer (had interference problems in the past with wireless models, but that could be because they were cheap models).

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Strada Cadence - wired on two bikes. I would say it's 99% reliable. When it stops working, I'll just trigger through the functions and it will provide data again.

I've concluded that it's the connections between the head unit and the mount that is less than reliable. Triggering the unit improves the contact.

Michael

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a Cateye Mity 8 for many years with no problems at all. Also a Cateye Enduro on my MTB has been trouble free.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I use the Strada Cadence - wired on two bikes. I would say it's 99% reliable. When it stops working, I'll just trigger through the functions and it will provide data again.

I've concluded that it's the connections between the head unit and the mount that is less than reliable. Triggering the unit improves the contact.

Michael
    I've had two Cateyes and the only time they stopped working was when the battery was dead or the contacts got dirty. I've found I have to clean the contacts after the bike gets wet or has been ridden in dusty or dirty conditions. Cleaning off the contacts has solved the problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I've had two Cateyes and the only time they stopped working was when the battery was dead or the contacts got dirty. I've found I have to clean the contacts after the bike gets wet or has been ridden in dusty or dirty conditions. Cleaning off the contacts has solved the problem for me.
    I will check that . I rode thru a lot of rain about 3 weeks ago, but nothing since. It could be the contacts need cleaning. I would rather not replace or upgrade now, as I am considering a Garmin at some point.

Thanks for the tips

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Strada Cadence (wired) on my road bike and, after 2 years, it's still going strong. Never a problem and really easy to use. I've toyed with going for the wireless and putting the wired one on on my wife's road bike but have seen mixed reviews on the wireless (usually interference issues).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    I've toyed with going for the wireless and putting the wired one on on my wife's road bike but have seen mixed reviews on the wireless (usually interference issues).
    I have an inexpensive Performance Ascent wireless (the house brand for Performance) on my second bike. At one specific point on the road a few miles from my house the current speed will jump to 60 mph (there is a small dish on the roof of a building). While it is nice to have a higher average speed, I do like to know what I am actually doing. I have not made the jump to wireless for that reason, but I ma not sure if it is just because of an inexpensive model or if it happens to all wireless computers.

I have heard this is not an issue with Garmins or other computers using GPS.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cateye strada that worked fine for a while, but then began to give me intermittent problems that stemmed either from a poor connection with the computer or with the magnet pickup. Recently, the problems have become worse, but I haven't spent the time to figure them out b/c it's on a bike that I use rarely. I have a suspicion that the problem is in the wire contacts inside the computer casing, which might be hard to fix.

LCI #1853
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cateye Strada? I had two of the derned things, and had nothing but trouble from them, and an extraordinarily short service life. I've had really good results from Cateye computers, but the Strada is simply junk.

I've standardized on their Enduro 8 wired models... they work pert near every time.

My Bikes
    Motobecane, Fantom Cross Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Cleaning off the contacts has solved the problem for me.
    ++

I'm using the Strada with cadence (wired), ~3 years now. Clean the contacts & apply a dab of dielectric grease occasionally.