Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Singers/musicians or Singing Bicyclers/musicians, anyone?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycling Singers/musicians or Singing Bicyclers/musicians, anyone?

Old 04-08-12, 06:11 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Sometimes on group rides I'm feeling contented and I started to whistle....but then I catch myself. I'm afraid that whistling could be bad luck. Whistling on a boat is supposed to be bad luck. I'm not really superstitious, but maybe others in the group are.

Anyone care to comment on the possibility that whistling while cycling brings bad luck??
I don't go with the good/bad luck thing, but in the Ann Arbor Bicycle Choir I found that the demands on a singer's breath are multiplied when your pedaling a bike, as well as on mental attention. If you're trying to sing or whistle the right notes in tempo holding them as long as their supposed to be and making phrases and lines, you don't have much breath left for cycling. At the slow speed one (well, this one, at least) can go while singing, other issues arise such as bicycle balance. When you're in a group ride doing this, it becomes downright dangerous because you also need to be cognizant what the other singers are doing on their bicycles. Too much to think about! Neither singing nor cycling are fun in such a demanding situation.

So I wouldn't say whistling while biking is bad luck, but it can be difficult if you're trying to do both at a high level and are in significant traffic. But when the spirit moves you, no problem.
Old 04-08-12, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Member of the Wiarton Community Choir here, part of the tenor section. Have played the violin, but not recently, after a bad left arm break, thinking of picking up a Mandolin which would be more fun.....