Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   We're just Big Kids, aren't we? What do you want next for your bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/702693-were-just-big-kids-arent-we-what-do-you-want-next-your-bike.html)

xizangstan 12-22-10 05:35 PM

We're just Big Kids, aren't we? What do you want next for your bike?

Even if Christmas wasn't just a few days away, I would still be drooling over the next item I want for my bike. Problem is, I've pretty much completely gone through my vintage Xizang mountain bike, and I'm running out of things to buy to upgrade her. I sometimes feel like a little kid - always wanting the next big thing for my bike.

Me, I'm getting a new rear wheel built. I just got the new Shimano XTR disc brake rear hub, and have a 36-hole Mavic 719 rim to get laced together with it. After that, probably a GPS unit. Then maybe a new XTR crankset to replace the older one that's on it now.

I wonder: What is it you guys and gals want next for your bikes? Is there a particular reason you want it? What can you tell us about it?

DnvrFox 12-22-10 05:48 PM

I wonder: What is it you guys and gals want next for your bikes? Is there a particular reason you want it? What can you tell us about it?
I want a new motor. The old motor is 71 years old, and highly outdated. Many of the parts are wearing out, and despite expensive repairs, they still ache and groan and don't work anything like they did when they were just 15 or 20 years old. Even the replacement parts for the old motor don't always fit or provide full power. Sometimes the engine knocks, and I do believe the fuel injector is taking in too much fuel as the motor seems to be heavier than it used to be. Also, the exhaust system and fuel drain don't work nearly as well as in the past.

Santa - can you help me?

rnorris 12-22-10 05:51 PM

My existing bikes are pretty well equipped, but I'll take this in the spirit of a Big Kid (and I'm kid sized anyway):

I want a minivelo (or even a folder), just because they look fun and would be handy for the days when I multimode it with bike and bus.

The Weak Link 12-22-10 06:04 PM

1. White bar tape for my BA. It would look really spiffy.
2. I'd like to try a bent. I have the gut and beard and everything.
3. I'm with DF - I could use a new motor.

BikeWNC 12-22-10 06:08 PM

I'm always looking for my next bike. I need to sell a couple first though or my wife will make me sleep with them in the garage. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 and a Transition today... but then a set of Zipp 404 tubulars caught my eye. I had to leave before I got into trouble.

Hermes 12-22-10 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 11970973)
I'm always looking for my next bike. I need to sell a couple first though or my wife will make me sleep with them in the garage. I was looking at a Cervelo P3 and a Transition today... but then a set of Zipp 404 tubulars caught my eye. I had to leave before I got into trouble.

:roflmao2::D:roflmao2:

TTs???

I had a shop place a call to Zipp for a quote on a front disc. That is just wrong.:D

BikeWNC 12-22-10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 11971169)
:roflmao2::D:roflmao2:

TTs???

I had a shop place a call to Zipp for a quote on a front disc. That is just wrong.:D

I've wanted to do the TT series at the Charlotte Motor Speedway that jppe helps with. I did one race there a couple years ago and always wanted to go back. The 3 hour drive each way tends to be problematic though. I had a Transition ordered before that race but they had just come out and all the SoCal dudes stole the available stock. I couldn't get one. I could get one now though. lol

Hermes 12-22-10 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 11970885)
I want a new motor. The old motor is 71 years old, and highly outdated. Many of the parts are wearing out, and despite expensive repairs, they still ache and groan and don't work anything like they did when they were just 15 or 20 years old. Even the replacement parts for the old motor don't always fit or provide full power. Sometimes the engine knocks, and I do believe the fuel injector is taking in too much fuel as the motor seems to be heavier than it used to be. Also, the exhaust system and fuel drain don't work nearly as well as in the past.

Santa - can you help me?

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 11970954)
1. White bar tape for my BA. It would look really spiffy.
2. I'd like to try a bent. I have the gut and beard and everything.
3. I'm with DF - I could use a new motor.

Has a good endorsement.:D

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...02/Geritol.jpg

B. Carfree 12-22-10 07:22 PM

Santa - can you help me?

:roflmao::roflmao: That was great. I hope Santa gives you as much joy as your post gave me.

skilsaw 12-22-10 07:45 PM

Ortleib front roller bags and a matching handlebar bag.
So I can tour off-road next summer.

Garilia 12-22-10 08:04 PM

I think my mountain bike needs a new road bike to keep it company when I'm at work.

kjc9640 12-22-10 08:20 PM

Perhaps we could get a price discount if we teamed with Denver and made a quantity buy. Looks like 3 or 4 others are up for he same request.

RonH 12-22-10 08:23 PM

Got my Christmas (and birthday and fathers day and anniversary and ..... ;)) present today.
--> http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread....can-I-keep-it

Rick@OCRR 12-22-10 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by kjc9640 (Post 11971658)
Perhaps we could get a price discount if we teamed with Denver and made a quantity buy. Looks like 3 or 4 others are up for he same request.

Ya think if we all got together and placed a big order we could get a discount on new motors? I could use one too!

Rick / OCRR

Allegheny Jet 12-22-10 09:11 PM

My power tap wheel set is being built this month. My wife only knows that "its a special computer for the wheels". I tried to explain but decided that if she had no interest in the new equipment then she didn't need to know what it cost.;)

DnvrFox 12-22-10 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 11971707)
Ya think if we all got together and placed a big order we could get a discount on new motors? I could use one too!

Rick / OCRR

We need to check with Curtis - he is great at big orders. Maybe our new motors could have 50+ stamped on them?

BikeWNC 12-22-10 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 11971962)
My power tap wheel set is being built this month. My wife only knows that "its a special computer for the wheels". I tried to explain but decided that if she had no interest in the new equipment then she didn't need to know what it cost.;)

What did you get? Which hub and rim? Spokes?

Hermes 12-22-10 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 11971962)

I think you are going to love the PT. I would be lost without mine. It will take you to another level in your training. I predict significantly more suffering on the horizon.

BikeWNC 12-22-10 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 11972198)
I think you are going to love the PT. I would be lost without mine. It will take you to another level in your training. I predict significantly more suffering on the horizon.

I'm thinking of getting a wireless version to go with the Garmin. I have a wired SL Open Pro that has been great.

DnvrFox 12-23-10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 11971327)
:roflmao::roflmao: That was great. I hope Santa gives you as much joy as your post gave me.

:)

Neil_B 12-23-10 07:52 AM

Rear rack and fenders for Notung. A Bike Forums poster is sending me them as a Christmas gift.

Allegheny Jet 12-23-10 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 11972073)
What did you get? Which hub and rim? Spokes?

After much deliberation and consideration I went with Psimet's. I have Williams carbon tubular 58's that I use for racing. I don't have a team sponsorship, so Zipp's were out of the question.:lol: I was looking for a good all-around training wheel that I could also race in the Tuesday Night training races and some of my B - C races. The Pro+ PT will allow me to change the unit between bikes fairly easily. The wheel package includes:

Front=White Ind. H2 F Silver hub laced to a Kinlin XR-300 rim 24f/2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes and DT-12mm-Brass-Silver nipples

Rear=Pro + hub with Shimano freehub body laced to a Kinlin XR-300 rim 28r/2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes on the Drive Side and laced 2X using DT-Comp-Black spokes on the Non-Drive Side and DT-12mm-Brass-Silver nipples
With electropack

Hermes: this next season should be very interesting learning how to train with the PT. In addition to training with power my coach moved my training blocks up to his “elite level” and I’ll be more focused on crits and circuit races as they seem to be my strengths. That could mean some shorter but harder workouts.:eek:

BluesDawg 12-23-10 08:16 AM

With a brand new bike in the house, there are plenty of little things to add or change. New Salsa stem and Ultegra SPD-SL pedals should be at the LBS tomorrow. I still need bottle cages, seat bag, inflator, mirror...and the list goes on. Mostly I need a few nice days during the break from work.

DnvrFox 12-23-10 08:16 AM

I don't have a team sponsorship,
Have you checked with AARP?

bobthib 12-23-10 08:29 AM

Santa - can you help me?

I've never had a problem with the exhaust system. It works too well some time. I have one of those loud, throaty, tuned exhaust systems.