Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Really enjoying the "??cold??" weather early morning riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 12:15 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I've been going out on early morning rides - temp about 20F. Now, I now that many of you ride in much colder weather - but the thing is, that is as cold as it has gotten in the Denver metro area this year. Record snowfall just 20 miles west, and not a drop of moisture here in about 2 months. We are in the rain shadow of the Rockies.

I find that layers REALLY work. Light layers, not heavy thick layers. I am using 5 layers on top - two long-sleeve light undergarments, a hooded jersey, a tyvek windbreaker, a breathable windbreaker (I know, it makes no sense) with a hood.

On the bottom, I use some winter padded tights, covered by nylon lined sports pants.

I bought some of those mittens you guys recommended - can't remember the names - got them on sale at Northern Tool Company for $3.00 and bought two pair, and some liners.

So, all-in-all I am pretty warm

Today, I tried a heavier bicycle-specific yellow-type jacket I got from REI. It was cold. The material is more canvas-rubber-like and actually seems to absorb the cold and pass it on to me, while the windbreakers stay warmer to the touch.

So, today I stretched, did a 2 minute plank, 30 pushups, a number of dumbbell pushups - 50 lbs each arm, and flies, went for a ride for about 1.5 hours and then went swimming.

FUN!!
Old 12-24-10, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guess I'm getting old because that really sounds great. Here no biking or much of anything else outside. There is a cold air mass sitting over us with its' associated temperature inversion. Plus, the temp hasn't been above -25 for over a week. Mainly it has been between -30 and -40 here at the house. Forcast to last another week or so. Also, it has been very dry so the cold is rapidly penetrating the ground endangering the sewer system. The water continously circulates so that isn't a problem.

The emission controls on cars aren't designed to operate at these temperatures so not only doesn't it run right it kicks a lot of gunk into the air. That, added to the ice fog and furnaces, etc makes the air pretty nasty. We just have too many people for the environment to cope with. Maybe I can send a few south?
Old 12-24-10, 02:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If it is windproof and it's not raining---Then lighter weight but fully windproof outer layer does work. I have a Pertex that does this job and it is surprising how warm you can be when wearing it. I also have a Thin Smock that has a Fleece liner and that is great.

But at 20F--I am always tempted to put on so many layers-by the time I have finished dressing- It's time to go home.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-24-10, 07:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I have reason to believe I will receive a cycling-specific cold weather jacket tomorrow. Since I picked it out myself. I also bought heavy duty gloves and a medieval balaclava with the intent of riding to work two or three days a week.

The weather, for the third year in a row, has been unusually chilly, rarely going over 35. It's usually around 25 when I get up in the morning.

So I'm going to give this cold weather early AM riding a whirl myself. I've taken note of what seems to work around here. I do have a set of Amfibs and neoprene booties for the tootsies. We'll see.