Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

cac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

compare trek vs. giant comfort bikes

I am a new rider and I am looking at the 2009 Trek 7100 and the 2010 Giant Cypress. The Trek listed at $439.99 and is selling for $299.00. The Selling price of the Giant is $350.00. I rode both and they feel about the same, any preferences?

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Giant and it's a good bike for re-entering cycling. The Trek gets good reviews: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...3_5672crx.aspx

Can't go wrong with either.

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These bikes are very similar ... I'd go for the one I felt most comfortable on in the first instance ... then by the price ... what warranty is being offered?
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are bread and butter bikes for bike dealers. At a price point, such bikes tend to be quite similar in quality and performance. Here's my advice:

1. Shop for a bike shop first. When you find a bike shop that has people who make you feel comfortable, buy a brand they carry and you'll never go wrong. When the time comes that you need service or (God forbid) you encounter a warranty issue, wouldn't you rather deal with people with whom you already have a rappoire?

2. If both bikes are from the same shop, go with the one you feel most comfortable with. Don't over analyze. If color is what makes you prefer one over the other, that's OK. A year from now you won't be able to remember the price difference or what you did with the money that you saved but you'll still have the bike. If every time you look at it you think "I wish I would have gotten the other one" that's not a good deal.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    1. Shop for a bike shop first. When you find a bike shop that has people who make you feel comfortable, buy a brand they carry and you'll never go wrong. When the time comes that you need service or (God forbid) you encounter a warranty issue, wouldn't you rather deal with people with whom you already have a rappoire?
    +1 on the bike shop. My long-time bike shop is a Trek dealer so all my bikes are Treks. I'm sure there are other bikes just as good but they don't come with the service I get at this shop.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith