Thread: Its Bright

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Bright

I don't want to give up my afternoon rides. I still work; so, I can't ride during the day on weekdays. When I start riding there is still daylight in Houston. Before the end of the ride it is dark. I use my MagicShine. I was heading home on the MUP and a couple of bicyclists yelled "Yowsa that is bright". I then noticed when I met some walkers they were covering their eyes.

The trail gets fairly dark, and there are fools using it without reflective clothing or lights. I can see them with my MagicShine. I am not so worried that they think my lights are too bright because that is better than hitting them. I also can see the potholes and avoid them.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the pics of the light and the "bright" surroundings?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I don't want to give up my afternoon rides. I still work; so, I can't ride during the day on weekdays. When I start riding there is still daylight in Houston. Before the end of the ride it is dark. I use my MagicShine. I was heading home on the MUP and a couple of bicyclists yelled "Yowsa that is bright". I then noticed when I met some walkers they were covering their eyes.

The trail gets fairly dark, and there are Darwin Award Candidates using it without reflective clothing or lights. I can see them with my MagicShine. I am not so worried that they think my lights are too bright because that is better than hitting them. I also can see the potholes and avoid them.
    fixed it for you

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    magicshines rule. I point mine downward somewhat so as not to be right in peoples eyes while still providing the illumination I need
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to be careful not to blind oncoming traffic as I have had cars flash there light at me on more than one occasion even on the low setting. I have two lights, one on the helmet and one on the bars. I need to be careful not to look at an on coming vehicle too. They are awesome lights.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Lamp that is bright enough for 35mph offroad so it is bright and it has 3 settings on Brightness of the beam. On the road I rarely use the Bright setting as it only allows about 2 1/2 hours but it is great when I can use it. Shows everything ---except for those beasties just at the edge of the beam. For that reason I have a helmet lamp that looks round corners for me instead of just where the bike is pointing.

That "Second" lamp is a godsend.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Magicshine light. I'm just taking my chances that the battery won't explode in a ball of flames. It seems fine so far.

But it's too bright to be shining into people's eyes on the MUP. I always leave it on the lowest steady light setting, and that's plenty. If there's not much ambient light, and I meet an oncoming rider I will dim the light by partially blocking it with a couple of fingers.

I've been nearly blinded by an oncoming bright light, so I don't want to do it to anybody else.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I have the Magicshine light. I'm just taking my chances that the battery won't explode in a ball of flames. It seems fine so far.

But it's too bright to be shining into people's eyes on the MUP. I always leave it on the lowest steady light setting, and that's plenty. If there's not much ambient light, and I meet an oncoming rider I will dim the light by partially blocking it with a couple of fingers.

I've been nearly blinded by an oncoming bright light, so I don't want to do it to anybody else.
    I think your only concern with the battery will be during recharge. You might consider recharging it outside. The ballistic nylon case may also minimize damage from an explosion.

I bought a newer style battery with the volt meter. The battery that came with the light head last September is still working fine.

I like your idea of using a couple of fingers to block some of the light.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I have the Magicshine light. I'm just taking my chances that the battery won't explode in a ball of flames. It seems fine so far...
    You (magicshine) guys know there's a recall on the battery pack, right?

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=recall
    Last edited by t4mv; 12-25-10 at 10:05 PM. Reason: inserted link for recall info

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    You (magicshine) guys know there's a recall on the battery pack, right?

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=recall
    That is why I have the new type battery. GeoManGear hasn't provided info on replacing my older battery although it still functions well. The new battery will provide 4+ hrs of continuous high output headlight service in conjunction with my tail light connected with a "Y" connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1342wt_1139

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I am not so worried that they think my lights are too bright because that is better than hitting them.
    I have a Niterider MiNewt Dual on my #2 bike, and that thing is so bright you could signal a 747 with it. About a month ago was riding at 6:00AM in total darkness and a guy on motorcycle coming the opposite direction yelled "Yes I can see you!" as he passed.

Agree, better to blind folks than to not see (or be seen by) them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry too much about blinding drivers with your bicycle lights. Oncoming automobiles have a pair of lights averaging between 2000 and 4000 lumens each, if a driver can put up with that your sub 1000 lumen lights won't do much harm.