Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold isn't as much fun as it used to be.

The temperature unexpectedly moderated to a mild 0F. Time to get the snow shoveled that I had been reluctant to tackle when it was -30 to -40. So I got dressed and headed out with the maul and shovel.

Guess what? I got a real surprise. I only spent an hour outside but I got COLD. In past winters I've spent whole days and in some cases multiple days outside in severe cold(-30 - -50)without any problem other than the occasional frost bite or frost nip.

The only things I can think of that would cause this change is the 25 pounds(less what I've put on over the holidays) I've taken off over the past 18 months or so and the fact that I've gotten older.

So, which is it? Older? Less fat?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loosing that weight is great news.
    Just wear an extra layer when you go out.
    I'm noticing the cold too. 3 or 4 degrees C today and I had to ride with my jacket zipped to my chin.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you live?

My Bikes
    Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '60's Schwinn Typhoon 2-speed kickback, Specialized Hardrock, Sun Flat-top unicycle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to know for sure is to put the weight back on and see what happens. I think it is the reduced fat layer but without another data point that is just a guess. So eat up and let us know, I'm curious now.
    This has to be a tie between re-frozen slushy uneven dirty ice stuff just right of the nicely plowed pavement, and super-glassy ice with a dusting of fresh powder - SalshShark

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate cold, and I hate pain. Thats why I ride a recumbent only in warm weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Where do you live?
    Lat 65.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next question is WHY DO YOU LIVE THERE??? Holy Cow that's to cold for man nor beast.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it always feels colder. I mean after the passage of time, it is easy to forget how miserable feeling cold is. Also, it depends on what you are doing. If I have the right clothes on and am working out, I can be out and really cold weather and feel just fine. But if I am just sitting, it is almost impossible to be warm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    The next question is WHY DO YOU LIVE THERE??? Holy Cow that's to cold for man nor beast.
    And why do you live in such a horribly hot place? (Written as I watch the guy next door play frisbee with his dog)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was always warm too, but last winter was the first that I found I needed to dress warmer than before. I know circulation begins to gradually slow down with age, but I was hoping for another decade before I experienced it. Alas, that was not the case. I also know it's not a fat things in terms of percentage of body weight, because I've been at a steady state for about four years. So, it's most likely the circulation. I'll be damned if I'm going to let it stop me from doing the things I want to do. I'll wear more base layers, buy better wind-proof garments, etc. before staying inside all winter long.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect it's a combination of the percentage of body fat and circulation slowing. I lost weight very quickly due to a medication and really feel the cold more now too. I wear layers inside! The good thing is when I go out and do any activity, I like to work hard, and that generates enough heat to warm me up thoroughly. Although we don't regularly get down to 0f . . today was 25f 30-40 mph wind gusts . . the blizzard dumped nearly 2' of snow here . . I was shoveling like a maniac, and got so hot I took my jacket off.
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)