Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Christmas Day Ride

I am driving to Las Vegas to spend a few days, stopping to visit the folks in Redding, CA. Usually I can make the drive from Vancouver to Redding in about 14 hours (as long as it's not snowing at Siskiyou Summit), but I decided to only drive as far as Woodland, in southwest WA, since it was not raining there and I wanted to get in a ride before flaking out in the cheap motel. This would let me stop in Oregon to do some sales tax-free consumer electronics shopping the next day.

The exit off I-5 is called "Woodland Cougar," which I've always liked as a name. Cougar is actually a small town quite a ways east of Woodland. I've always thought "Woodland Cougar" should be the name of one town. There's something poetic about some place names. The most sonorous place name in British Columbia is "Kentucky Alleyne," in my opinion.

I got on the bike and took Hayes Road east. About 16 winding and rolling kilometers later, you go down a narrow side road, down a steep hill to what is probably Cedar Creek, with a covered bridge and the Old Grist Mill next to it.

Here's a closer view of the bridge:

And a view of the mill itself:

The nearby roads are quite scenic, with lots of horse ranches. I love the white fences they use:

Except for the road climbing out of the covered bridge, the roads around here were gentle enough for a 42x16 fixed gear. I really think southwest WA is a highly underrated place to ride a bike.

L.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, by the way, I didn't need to wear a balaclava. It was actually quite warm, compared to Vancouver. I did have a rain jacket and rain booties on, but just for warmth. I also had a cycling cap underneath the helmet, but I just had the fall gloves and didn't need the earmuffs or extra vest layer. I think the temperature was close to 10 deg C, about 50 F or just below.

L.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks an inviting ride
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan