Thread: Garmin 500

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin 500

I see that this operates with a rechargeable battery. What about if HR and cadence is added? Are there other batteries required for these functions, and if so, how easy is battery replacement? I'm getting tired of dealing with plastic battery compartments that often end up with stripped battery covers. I've had this happen on Cateyes twice.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cadence sensor that attaches to the rear wheel stay requires a battery, and the HRM strap requires a battery. They each last about a year and they're not hard to change, so they're not much trouble.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, they are held in place by rotating covers with a slot that require a coin to rotate and open and close, much like many cyclometers. If you have difficulty with this perhaps your LBS could assist when the time comes.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't yet had to change the battery, but I am intimately familiar with coin slot covers from my years as an avid underwater photographer. The two rules that would keep your Nikonos battery compartment from flooding were: 1. grease the o-ring very lightly and very carefully, and most importantly 2. Do not cross thread the cover. Given that the cadence/speed sensor is plastic, this is even more important. We insane underwater photog's went so far as to find and keep a particular nickel that would just barely fit the slot, giving you a sturdy hold on the cover, which allowed you to feel the click as you rotated it backwards to get the threads aligned.

I know... TMI
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The saga is complete!!

On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Sam Cotton wrote the following to Cateye:

I have been using your computers for a number of years on several bikes. I recently had a problem while trying to change the battery in the Speed/Cadence sensor. The compartment wouldn’t open and the cover was ultimately stripped leaving me no choice except in purchasing a new sensor. That sensor came today, but I am unable to open the battery compartment again. Is there a trick to this that I don’t realize?
    I have always been happy with your products in the past, but I am extremely disappointed at present. If this can’t be resolved quickly, I’ll simply change brands of computer.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

I wrote the above note to Cateye voicing my problems with their unit. After all of my *****ing to anyone that would pay attention, I thought it only fair that I share the response which I received from Cateye. Obviously this doesn't really solve the problem, but it is certainly a good faith effort that really surprised me. Their response follows:

Sorry for the delayed response to your inquiry. The battery cover of that RD400DW sensor can admittedly be a bit finicky to remove. Personally, I've had the best luck using a large coin such as a quarter in the battery cover slot to turn the cover counter-clockwise about 20 degrees.

We'll ship another replacement sensor today at no charge to the address we have on file for you from your recent small parts order. We'll ship via USPS Priority so you have the new sensor by the end of this week.

If you're ultimately unable to remove the battery cover on any of the sensors, swing by your local bike shop (they are all authorized CatEye dealers) and they should be able to get it off, even if it requires putting the coin in a bench vice and then pressing the sensor down onto the coin, and then twisting the sensor to gain more leverage.

Again, sorry for the delay in resolving this problem, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Best regards,
    Jeff
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia