Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renovation OR Skip

So it's been there for a week. Stolen--Abandoned or Dumped----I do not know but I would think Dumped as it could not have been ridden to this field in the condition it was in.

Galaxy.jpg

Got it home and started to look at it and it is in not too bad a condition. Plenty of Rust but other than the rear wheel none of it is corrosion.

FWheel.jpg HeadTube.jpg RD.jpg

Size might be on the minimum for me but So is the OCR. Plenty of work to do and find out about it but nothing there tells me that it is not worth working on.

It is a Dawes Galaxy and appearsto have Suntour running Gear. 5 speed Freehub and 27x1" 1/4 tyres. Tubing is Reynolds 531 and the bike is not overheavy---or won't be by the time the racks and bolt ons have gone.

I'll inform the Police that I have found it but bikes of this age and in this condition will never be claimed.

So looks like a Spring Project for me- and it may be N+1

Or it may even be worth a full renovation to bring back to concours condition.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice bike. Could be made into a touring rig.

Al

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a cyclometer on it? Seems odd someone would dump it with that still on it...or dump it at all. Then again, some things are inexplicable.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And all I found today in my front yard was an empty bag of dog food blown in by the wind.

Brad

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Is that a cyclometer on it? Seems odd someone would dump it with that still on it...or dump it at all. Then again, some things are inexplicable.
    It is but it doesn't work--Same with the rear Cateye on the seatpost. Both look as though corrosion has set in and are scrap.

Both tyres are flat--Front has just a bit of air in it but the tyres look sound. Chain is well and truly rusted and will not pedal. Funny thing is that it pushes quite well- except for the rear wheel being out of true and catches the brakes.

Wife noticed the bike when walking the dog across the fields last week. Can't see the bike having been ridden there in this condition by anyone. Looks like someone could not be bothered to take it to the tip and just took it for a walk and "Lost" it.

So subject to it being claimed- Looks like I have a project.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll want to see more photos as the project unfolds!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This project is going to take some time. Providing it all goes well-and I can find enough details on the original- I shall try to renovate to OM condition. Several bits have already been changed like the Crank is a cheap MTB Resin one-
    FD.jpg
    Rear wheel is scrap
    rear wheel.jpg
    and the front has already been changed so a new set of wheels is the obvious start. Paintwork is not too bad but do I put the frame into pristine "As new" or leave with the few scratches and just replace the decals?
    Headtube.jpg
    Main problem right now is to find out how old it is--And to get rid of all the string that seems to be holding parts onto the frame--Think I am joking? Bar tape is fastened with string-Cable outers held to the frame with string-Rack held in place with string--Theres more string on this bike than at a Boy Scouts convention.

Bar tape.jpg string1.jpg

Too soon to say yet but as things progress- I will keep you posted.

Spike Milligan

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to find a Galaxy here in the colonies ...

(Of course they'd say dumpster here ...)
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With SunTour kit, 5-speed freewheel, and centerpull brakes, it almost has to be circa 1976 +/- 2 years or so.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    We'll want to see more photos as the project unfolds!
    +1... looks like an interesting project if one has the skills and interest. I think I would try to restore the frame and racks to original and possibly update the drivetrain while staying true to the character of the original bike.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a closer more detailed look at the bike now and a couple of options to decide on.

It looks as though it is mid 70's and it does fit me.

I will require new wheels for it. It is a 5speed freehub on 27" wheels and I can go two ways on this. Stay 5 speed OR buy longer reach brakes and fit 700C wheels. If I go 700C then one of the original options was bar end shifters. I can get Dure Ace 9 speed bar end shifters at a sensible price so I could use the "Spare" wheels I currently have with an "Upgrade" to 9 speed. Crankset and I have a "Spare" compact just sitting in the shed so that way I would have a sensible price for a sensible N+1

Or there is still the option of trying to bring back to near OM spec. New Road Crankset to replace the cheap MTB unit currently fitted and new 27" wheels from the era. My LBS will be able to source these for me- or even build me up a pair.

Cost wise going either way will cost about the same.

Fully realise that the purists amongst you will not be happy with the Upgrading to be just a sensible bike--But I am not into "Vintage" Bikes. But at the same time this is not a bike that would ever ride as good as a Modern lump of Alloy or plastic.

So still thinking about what I am going to do with it.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 9-speed barcons sound like a good option.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some playing around w/vintage bikes and really enjoyed it. It's pretty easy to spend a lot more than the bike is worth, but in terms of $$ per hour of fun fixing, restoring, chasing parts and riding, it's cheap.

However, if you look at a potential restoration in bike in 4 different potentially expensive chunks of work, I'm worried this bike fails all 4 tests, which to me are:

1. Do you need to replace all the "wear" items (usually the answer is yes): tires, tubes, cables, bar tape, etc.
    2. Are the wheels salvageable?
    3. Are the components (drivetrain, shifters, crankset, derailleurs, etc.) worth saving?
    4. Is the paint clean and is the frame in rust-free condition?

The best thing the Dawes you found has going for it is the Reynolds 531 frame and nice lug work. But the extensive corrosion and -- especially -- the string holding some of the frame bits together is alarming.

A good powder coat job isn't expensive and can help turn even a very beat-up-looking frame into something very nice, but I think your frame will also need a visit to a repair shop before it's rideable. If it's a quick bath in oxalic acid and an inexpensive bit of frame repair work to get ride of the string, then you still have a fun project on your hand. But if the frame is too beat up this may not be worth chasing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame is sound but could do with new paint- but it is no worse state than the Kona that does gain extra scratches on most rides. The string is superfluous and the right length cabling and zip ties would replace that. Wheels are scrap and crankshaft needs replacing whichever way I go. New tubes and cables are are all it needs. Tyres are good and bar tape is salvagable. Either rebuild would cost around 150-About $220 and I know the bike would not be worth that but that is not a concern.

I Have to work out if I want to "Restore" it or just get a reasonable bike out of it. That is the problem.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Frame is sound but could do with new paint- but it is no worse state than the Kona that does gain extra scratches on most rides. The string is superfluous and the right length cabling and zip ties would replace that....
    I Have to work out if I want to "Restore" it or just get a reasonable bike out of it. That is the problem.
    Thanks for clarifying...I thought the string meant that it was, literally, holding that brace between the chainstays to the bike.

A sound, lugged Reynolds 531 frame is always worth playing around with. For 150 Sterling you would definitely get lots of fun and value out of the project.

I wouldn't worry about "restoring" it, just making it ridable is enough.

I was standing in one of our local bike shops a few years ago with an old bike discussing this very topic with one of the store's co-owners. Hanging from the ceiling are a bunch of museum-quality classic bikes (many of the British, btw), owned by the shop's other co-owner. The partner I was talking to looked at my bike, and then looked at the ceiling, and said, "Look, you're a long way from having a bike that looks like one of those hanging from the ceiling...just make it ridable, and have fun. If you want a bike that compares with one of those, it's a totally different project."

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's been there for a week. Stolen--Abandoned or Dumped----I do not know but I would think Dumped as it could not have been ridden to this field in the condition it was in.

Galaxy.jpg

Got it home and started to look at it and it is in not too bad a condition. Plenty of Rust but other than the rear wheel none of it is corrosion.

FWheel.jpg HeadTube.jpg RD.jpg

Size might be on the minimum for me but So is the OCR. Plenty of work to do and find out about it but nothing there tells me that it is not worth working on.

It is a Dawes Galaxy and appearsto have Suntour running Gear. 5 speed Freehub and 27x1" 1/4 tyres. Tubing is Reynolds 531 and the bike is not overheavy---or won't be by the time the racks and bolt ons have gone.

I'll inform the Police that I have found it but bikes of this age and in this condition will never be claimed.

So looks like a Spring Project for me- and it may be N+1

Or it may even be worth a full renovation to bring back to concours condition.
    Make it work, ride it, see if it fits and if you like it - then decide about the bigger stuff like cosmetics or repurposing.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C'mon Stap!

Restore means to return to original condition. I'm thinking a guy like you is going to want to improve a little on that. I certainly would. You've got CBTD. There's no cure so you might as well just go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean it up, do a few selected upgrades, then enjoy riding it. I wouldn't worry about returning it to original condition.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I Have to work out if I want to "Restore" it or just get a reasonable bike out of it. That is the problem." --stapfam

Because I'm stuck in the house with a b*tch of a head cold I decided to work on my old Raleigh's fenders, to get them to conform as they did before it's wreck a few years ago, looks like I'm pulling them off. Anyway when I rebuilt the Raleigh (it sat in the corner of the garage for years while I rode the other bikes) I had the same decisions to make. One thing I don't regret is keeping the 5S rear and just chunking the 27" steel rims for 27" aluminum ones, I did seriously ponder upgrading the drivetrain for awhile.

A really good cleaning, overhaul, new rims and the compact crankset may all be what the bike really needs.

Have fun with it.

Brad
    Last edited by bradtx; 01-01-11 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bradtx;12013272
    A really good cleaning, overhaul, new rims and the compact crankset may all be what the bike really needs.

Have fun with it.

Brad[/QUOTE]

This is what I am hoping and my mind keeps telling me this is the sensible thing to do.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I am hoping and my mind keeps telling me this is the sensible thing to do.
    My worst nightmere is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible dad was".

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    C'mon Stap!

Restore means to return to original condition. I'm thinking a guy like you is going to want to improve a little on that. I certainly would. You've got CBTD. There's no cure so you might as well just go with it.
    This is the problem--Restore to me would mean restore fully. That would mean research to get all the details but that could be done. Even have a shop locally that could help on parts--But a restored bike has to be be original. Bikes have evolved over the years and they have improved. This bike is 35 years old and everything on it can be improved on. I don't fancy riding steel rims and they would have to be upgraded. If that requires new wheels- then I will get a freebody hub and upgrade the gears. Then Barcons and 9 speed cassette so all it would be is an old steel frame with new bits on it.

But at the back of my mind there is still the Thought about full restoration- but that is receding fast.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be a fairly expensive beater in no time. Price things out before you jump in. See if you want to spend that much. bk

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam,
    To determine the year of the bike there are two options:
    1. If you believe the Suntour derailers are original, look on the back of each. You will find a two letter date code. Go to vintage_trek.com and look on the left of the page for "Components" double click on it, when the components page opens, look at the header for "Suntour-Maeda". Click on it. It will take you to a chart with the date codes for all Suntour component.s
    2. Cross post over on the C&V. You'll need the serial number from the frame. I'm not much of a Dawes expert or I'd try to help you. I think those derailers might have the answer.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
    This will be a fairly expensive beater in no time. Price things out before you jump in. See if you want to spend that much. bk
    +1
    That's a low-end model to start with. Plus it's 35-40 years old. Unless it has some show value, it's going to be a money sponge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast