Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cbtd* (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/703750-cbtd.html)

Retro Grouch 12-29-10 06:33 AM

Cbtd*

Compulsive Bicycle Tinkerers Disorder. I've known for some time that I was going to redo the drive train on my recumbent. I've finally decided (I think) what I'm going to do.

My son says he has an Ultegra compact crankset that I can have. I already own a 9-speed 12/34 cassette from a failed project. Hopefully that combination will yield a gear that will get me up Jungs Station hill. Hopefully all that I'll have to buy are 9-speed Dura Ace bar ends, Paul's thumbies and a 9-speed recumbent chain. (Recumbents take a lot of chain.) I may have to do something different with the front derailleur.

Completing the project will also require shortening my steering riser by about 2" and extending it's clamp slot. Hopefully that will lower the handlebars so they aren't so much in my line of sight.

cranky old dude 12-29-10 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 11997087)
Compulsive Bicycle Tinkerers Disorder......

Completing the project will also require shortening my steering riser by about 2" and extending it's clamp slot. Hopefully that will lower the handlebars so they aren't so much in my line of sight.

Why not just put a cushion on the seat? :innocent:

Sounds like you've got your winter weather project all lined up and ready to start. Let us know how it works out.

Retro Grouch 12-29-10 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 11997154)
Sounds like you've got your winter weather project all lined up and ready to start. Let us know how it works out.

Yeah, the CBTD always kicks in right after Christmas. I've also got projects on the back burner for both of my tandems.

billydonn 12-29-10 08:40 AM

CBTD huh? Sounds like a less destructive variant Veloacquisomania (aka in some circles as "N+1 disease"). Not Medicare reimbursable, I'll wager.

Retro Grouch 12-29-10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 11997428)
CBTD huh? Sounds like a less destructive variant Veloacquisomania (aka in some circles as "N+1 disease"). Not Medicare reimbursable, I'll wager.

Actually, I'm thinking Veloacquisomania might be the less destructive variant.

My son has both - he just ordered a sub 2 pound road frame. He likes to do his bicycle work in my shop so I'm looking forward to some happy times this winter. One of his projects for me is to lace him up 1300 gram wheelset with King hubs and Stans rims. That'll be fun!

Phil85207 12-29-10 08:56 AM

Good luck, it sounds like you have all the ducks in a row.

bobbycorno 12-29-10 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 11997238)
Yeah, the CBTD always kicks in right after Christmas. I've also got projects on the back burner for both of my tandems.

"Kicks in"?? IME, it's a way of life - 24/7/365.

SP
Bend, OR

NOS88 12-29-10 10:49 AM

From what I understand the treatment for CBTD is worse than the disorder itself. Somethings you've just got to HTFU and deal with. ;)

JanMM 12-29-10 06:07 PM

Curious to hear how the Enduro is at hill-climbing with a compact double.

kjc9640 12-29-10 07:37 PM

Have you considered seeing a Dr. This is serious and should not be left untreated for fear of it spreading.

Retro Grouch 12-29-10 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 12000000)
Curious to hear how the Enduro is at hill-climbing with a compact double.

Me too. The guys at bentrideronline.com uniformly think it's a bad idea.

I've got a short but steep hill to climb from the Katy Trail up to my condo. If I find that I'm not getting up that hill pretty comfortably, I'll substitute a different crankset, probably some mountain triple, and chalk the cost up to tuition in the school of bike knowledge.

JanMM 12-29-10 09:26 PM

Stock crank on the Enduro is a MTN-style triple compared to a road triple on the V-Rex, which is low enough for me. I use the Rex primarily for commuting now - a compact double would be fine for that. And, probably would be ok for most hills.

maddmaxx 12-30-10 04:01 AM

A 34/34 is a pretty stout gear ratio. If you need to go lower, that's going to be one bad hill. If you do have to go with the triple, one of the 26/36/48's might make a good compromise between the road and mountain triples. You have to love those in between touring triples.

Retro Grouch 12-30-10 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 12000822)
Stock crank on the Enduro is a MTN-style triple compared to a road triple on the V-Rex, which is low enough for me. I use the Rex primarily for commuting now - a compact double would be fine for that. And, probably would be ok for most hills.

I was aware of that. The low gear with the compact double is only 3 GI higher than a standard road triple. I seriously considered a touring triple, but didn't one that satisfied me. When my son offered me his old Ultegra compact, it just seemed like the right thing.

If I decide that I did the wrong thing, that's just more fodder for my CBTD.

JanMM 12-30-10 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 12001838)
I was aware of that. The low gear with the compact double is only 3 GI higher than a standard road triple. I seriously considered a touring triple, but didn't one that satisfied me. When my son offered me his old Ultegra compact, it just seemed like the right thing.

If I decide that I did the wrong thing, that's just more fodder for my CBTD.

The signs are favorable. Proceed.

Retro Grouch 12-31-10 01:08 PM

It never works out that easily.

My son's Ultegra crankset is a standard double, not a compact like I had thought. If I was marginal on thinking the compact gearing would be low enough for me, I have no doubt about the standard 39 tooth chainring meeting my needs. I found a OEM 105 50/39/30 triple, new but without the consumer packaging, for $100.00. As a bonus, it's black like I really wanted anyway.

I should have all of my bits within a week.

JanMM 12-31-10 01:51 PM

Agree that a 39T inner ring would not work for significant hills on a 'bent.