Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New years day ride.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New years day ride.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 10:55 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
New years day ride.

Had it arranged to go with my Son-in-Law for a ride this morning to meet some relations that were coming down for a visit but with a walk along the Seafront. 8 am and I phoned him to say I did not feel like riding as My chest felt heavy and a headache. Made no difference as he still turned up at 8.30.

By this time I had eaten breakfast- Porridge by the way-had a walk round the garden and taken a couple of aspirins. Still felt rough but I told him to get the bike out of the shed and bring the pump up while I got changed.

9 am and we were Off. I warned him that I was still rough so gentle please. He was gentle till the hills came then he was off. By this time the pills had kicked in and I chased him. Wish I hadn't as from that stage onwards my request's for take the pace out a bit didn't work that well.

I haven't ridden greatly over the last few months due to weather and a few household commitments and all I could think of was that I was going to pay for this. Got to the bandstand at Eastbourne and although I felt like riding a bit more just to keep warm we were a bit close to the meet time. One look at the beach and the cold weather that was beginning to make the toes and fingers tingle and it was confirmed that I am a wimp. The temp had risen to around 40F by this time and this was one of the Brave souls telling me I needed more ride time.

Had the walk along the beach with the Outlaws and back to the bandstand where the "Free" new years concert was just being set up.

Didn't have time to listen as Ross and I had to get back and get changed before Lunch. Pushed a bit on the way back and it just started to rain as I got home. Walked round for lunch and I found out how out of training I am. It may only have been a 20 miler and not too hilly a route but my legs felt awkward- not stiff- but they did not want to walk very fast.

Roll on some warm weather and I might get enough rides in to say that I am as fit as I should be in the middle of a foul cold winter- but can't see that happening for a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NYD swimmer.jpg (39.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
NYDbandstand.jpg (81.9 KB, 19 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-01-11, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
We have afternoon temperatures of 9c forcast for this afternoon, but it looks like it's going to rain all day.
No matter, I'm determined to get a ride in. I can tolerate getting a bit wet at those temps.
Old 01-01-11, 01:55 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Nice ride & pictures S.F., HNY!
Old 01-01-11, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Well, good on you for getting 2011 off to a proper start, Stapfam. The guy at the beach must be one tough dude!