User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Inspirational Story

Bob and I graduated from Mitchellville (IA) High School in 1958. 17 kids in the class. I'm 64 so I suspect he is 63. He's always been a farmer from the time he was old enough to work.

Many of you probably know about RAGBRAI. Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. I have been a driver for my daughter, son-in-law and many of their friends 7 times since 1993. This year it was, I think, 485 miles from Onawa on the Missouri to Clinton on the Mississippi.

We had a class reunion in June during which I evidently mentioned that I had been on RAGBRAI a time or two. Two weeks before the ride, which is always the last full week in July, my phone rang and it was Bob. He verified that I had been on the ride and said he had been in a town that it went through once and thought it looked like something that would be fun to do. He thought that he was getting to the age where if he was going to do it, he had better get it done. I agreed with him and assured him, that based on what I had seen, I was certain he could do it. I also told him that I could probably get him on the team from Limey's Pub that was going this year so he would have support along the way if he needed it. He said that sounded like a good idea and he would go buy a bike tomorrow. I don't believe he had ever owned a bike. He said his brother (68 years) would probably go also.

To make a long story shorter, They showed up, Bob with his new Specialized Sequoia and brother Bill with a recumbant tricycycle. They both rode every single mile every day! The last day we were at the halfway town waiting for our bikers to check in when Bill rode up on his tricycle and said "Jerry, I think I'm going to make it". I said "Bill, I think you're going to make it too". "Yep", Bill said, "if I don't have an accident, I think I'm going to make it......who'd a thunk".

I don't know if they've ridden since.

JC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat story.

Thanks for sharing.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Story ! I like to read these, makes me feel Great! Thanks Jerry.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**