Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Sustrans maps

My Bikes
    82 Miyata 610 (short chainstays), old Azuki converted to 3 speed, Phillips Roadster from the 50's
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sustrans maps

My wife and I are planning to visit the U.K. the summer of '13, our daughter will be off to college then. The wife to spend time at the Victoria and Albert etc, staring at clothing etc. Me to cruise around on my old Phillips 3 speed. ( Yes, I plan to take my bicycle) So I've been looking at maps and reading info on cyling there. Including Sustrans, British waterways, any blog I can find etc. Any suggestions on where/what else to find out more? Tim

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps the CTC website would have useful info? http://www.ctc.org.uk/
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London is improving on the cycle ways so if you are staying in London you will not have a problem finding routes. I'll have to investigate routes in London that keep you away from the Traffic but Where are you planning on staying?

I used to live near London and I was just saying to the wife that when I retire we shall have to start spending a few days visiting all the "Haunts" of my youth. There is so much to see with all the Museums and just London in general- that even for me I would have to spend a month there. Two things you will have to plan into your stay- The changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London. The two sights not to be missed. One for the Pageantry and the other for History.

I could just spend days walking round the Old Town but a Bike would be easier- providing you can lock it up but If you are staying in London- There are Hire bikes that may not be of a top grade- and providing they have not been nicked- will make it easier to get around London.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    82 Miyata 610 (short chainstays), old Azuki converted to 3 speed, Phillips Roadster from the 50's
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, I've got 2 of 3 bookmarked already! We are hoping to visit for 6-8 weeks, where to stay is open to ideas (at reasonable cost). The wife wants to be within a hour of London by train/bus. I'm a country boy myself. We have friends who rented a cottage near Bath a few years ago, and they've talked it up. Read that the SE was a bit expensive, looking at Reading?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of sites

The London Cycle hire system

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11598.aspx

Some routes

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

Plenty more and In google- I searched for

Cycle London Routes
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan