Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-11, 09:55 PM   #1
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plans for my next dream bike....

Start with an affordable Carbon 29er frame (not easy to find) with accompanying CF solid fork: http://www.gotobike.com.cn/gs_detail...&previd=500027

Carbon seatpost: http://carbon-products.en.alibaba.co...ts_SP301_.html

Carbon flat bars: http://carbon-products.en.alibaba.co...handlebar.html

The frame, fork, bars and seatpost are $867 at my door and they take PayPal.

An 11 speed internal gear hub: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

Hub will add some weight, but I will take a little off at the crankset and BB: http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...310/4388/22677

I am happy with rim brakes that work well.

Want to find some hot pink or red rims......

I'm thinking 700cx32 for the tires.

I have a guy who will pinstripe it when completed.

I think it will make an awesome addition to the fleet.

Should be able to do the whole thing at or under $2k -- cheap compared to stock car racing which I have pretty much retired from.

Comments welcome!

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 08:11 AM   #2
jimcross
Senior Member
 
jimcross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Austin TX.
Bikes:
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious about such skinny tires on a 29r. Why not the something like the cyclocross frame?
jimcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 11:15 AM   #3
BigBlueToe
Senior Member
 
BigBlueToe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
Posts: 3,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dream bike is about 6 bikes - carbon fiber, bamboo, titanium, 29er full suspension, recumbent, trike...... I deserve to try everything, don't I? (Don't tell my wife I said this.)
BigBlueToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 11:28 AM   #4
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Want to find some hot pink or red rims...
Velocity sells 'em in Bubblegum Pink and Electric Red. http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=717 The Electric colors are semi-transparent. Yellow Bike has the Electric Blue. You can see the grain of the aluminum through it.

Not all rims come in all colors, and you're subject to what the Aussies have sent. Still, I've been very happy with every Velocity rim I own, and I'm planning on a full set of their A23 wheels for the Litespeed.

Last edited by tsl; 01-09-11 at 11:35 AM.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 11:32 AM   #5
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcross View Post
I'm curious about such skinny tires on a 29r. Why not the something like the cyclocross frame?
Since posting I have spent HOURS on the internet. There seems to be an issue with finding a headset for the carbon 29er frame which comes with a tapered fork. Also, I was concerned about the dropouts on a carbon frame having to stabilize torque reaction from the internally geared hub. I am now reconsidering and looking at a cyclocross frame. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNBRANDED-AL...item27a86b07c8 I will have to spread the dropouts, but that should not be a big deal if I forgo carbon. No carbon frame hurts but I can deal with it.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 11:34 AM   #6
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
Velocity sells 'em in Bubblegum Pink and Electric Red. http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=717 The Electric colors are semi-transparent. Yellow Bike has the Electric Blue. You can see the grain of the aluminum through it.

Not all rims come in all colors, and you're subject to what the Aussies have sent. Still, I've been very happy with every Velocity rime I own, and I'm planning on a full set of their A23 wheels for the Litespeed.
You means like... http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-2...-700c-rim.aspx ?

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 12:31 PM   #7
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since you live in Austin, maybe you should delay defining your "dream" bike until after the North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show, which is going to be in Austin late February.

Even if you aren't in the market for a handbuilt bike, there will be a lot of spectacular stuff in the show to give you ideas...

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:37 PM   #8
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Since you live in Austin, maybe you should delay defining your "dream" bike until after the North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show, which is going to be in Austin late February.

Even if you aren't in the market for a handbuilt bike, there will be a lot of spectacular stuff in the show to give you ideas...

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
Ooooo! Good catch. I hadn't made that connection.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:43 PM   #9
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Yep. Not necessarily the Deep-Vs, but they're what float your boat, why not? Colors are easier to find online in the Deep-Vs because Deep-Vs are what's popular with the fixie kids.

I run the Aerohead and Aerohead O/C on Yellow Bike and the VXCs on the Portland. A custom wheelbuilder got the Electric Blue Aeroheads (and built them up) and I got the VXCs at my LBS. In each case they ordered direct from Velocity.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 01:01 PM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Since posting I have spent HOURS on the internet. There seems to be an issue with finding a headset for the carbon 29er frame which comes with a tapered fork. Also, I was concerned about the dropouts on a carbon frame having to stabilize torque reaction from the internally geared hub. I am now reconsidering and looking at a cyclocross frame. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UNBRANDED-AL...item27a86b07c8 I will have to spread the dropouts, but that should not be a big deal if I forgo carbon. No carbon frame hurts but I can deal with it.

Don in Austin
Plenty of Manufacturers do tapered forks now so there should not be a problem finding headsets for them.

And hate to say it- Good to top quality aluminium gives a ride that is better for me than CF. In Fact Boreas has ruined me for any future frames. Lightweight aluminium that is as light as the lightweight CF and rides better. I know I am a lightweight but CF is too stiff. Aluminium can be stiff and flexible where it matter.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 02:07 PM   #11
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
And hate to say it- Good to top quality aluminium gives a ride that is better for me than CF. In Fact Boreas has ruined me for any future frames. Lightweight aluminium that is as light as the lightweight CF and rides better. I know I am a lightweight but CF is too stiff. Aluminium can be stiff and flexible where it matter.
I don't doubt that your Boreas is all that you say it is, but the generalizations about carbon characteristics are too broad. By varying the stiffness of the CF material, the directionality and thickness of the layup and the shape of the mold, CF can be made as stiff or as soft as the designers want it to be.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 06:34 PM   #12
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
CF can be made as stiff or as soft as the designers want it to be.
True. But these days, designers are instructed by the marketing department, and the marketing wonks all say "Stiffer, stiffer, stiffer".

Even Bicycling Magazine has stopped saying "vertically compliant".
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 08:23 PM   #13
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
True. But these days, designers are instructed by the marketing department, and the marketing wonks all say "Stiffer, stiffer, stiffer".

Even Bicycling Magazine has stopped saying "vertically compliant".
Specialized still says it. Each new version of the Roubaix is touted as being stiffer laterally and more compliant vertically. They gush about it on the website.
I can tell you it's not just talk.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 06:53 AM   #14
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcross View Post
I'm curious about such skinny tires on a 29r. Why not the something like the cyclocross frame?
The CF frames from China started to look problematic for this project. I got conflicting information from different sales reps as to when they could ship and not much to choose from in the 29er. I looked into CF cyclocross frames from China, but I was concerned about springing the 130mm dropouts apart to take the 135mm Alfine hub. So I switched gears and ordered this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
It has 130mm dropouts but I am not too concerned about spreading a metal frame a tad. When I get the hub, I will see if it has locknuts or spacers that can be shaved down slightly. I plan to get the most flat-resistant rear tire there is because changing the rear wheel sounds like a pain with the internally geared hub.
I have parts coming from all over the place and anticipate the UPS guy coming to my shop almost daily in the next week or two. So far I have received this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Its going to be a lot of fun.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 07:57 AM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It has 130mm dropouts but I am not too concerned about spreading a metal frame a tad.
Don in Austin
If that metal was steel, I would concur, but being that it is aluminum (with some trace amount of scandium in the alloy), I would be extremely cautious.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:25 AM   #16
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
If that metal was steel, I would concur, but being that it is aluminum (with some trace amount of scandium in the alloy), I would be extremely cautious.
I have checked the frames on various other bikes -- aluminum and CF. On all of them it is easy to spread the dropouts way more than 5mm by hand. As soon as I have the hub in my hands, I will check out cutting down locknuts or spacers so that there is not even a 5mm discrepancy.

Don
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 01:53 PM   #17
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's done!!

Pictures will be posted soon.
*Ended up building it on a used RedLine cyclocross frame -- powder coated a brilliant
pink\cherry color. Used frame came with RedLine CF fork.
*Pink "DeepVee" wheels. Black spokes, 32 front, 36 rear.
*Truvativ single speed Stylo crank with 32 tooth sprocket and ext. bearing bottom bracket
*"Singulator" chain tensioner.
*Cane Creek headset.
*Converted from cantilever to "V" brakes with a complete Cannondale set of shoes, calipers, cables and handles for $29 on Ebay,
*CF flatbars, stem and seat post. Bar ends for $4 from some bike dude's yard sale.
*Pinstriped in lime green.
*Specialized Jett BG titanium/cf "women's" saddle.
*Michelin 700cx32 "City" front tire, Armadillo "Nimbus" 700cx35 rear tire.
*Last but NOT least: Shimano Alfine 11-speed internally geared hub.

When the weather here was nice and warm I came down with a sore throat and
cold. Now that I am getting over that, it got most unseasonably cold for Texas. Can't win! I haven't ridden it nearly as much as I would like to. So far I am blown away by how it shifts and how quiet it is. I rode it in to work one AM and my time was less than my best, but I hadn't ridden or worked out for one week + and I was not\am not fully recovered so I blame the engine at this time.

Can't wait to shake it down properly -- maybe this weekend.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 02:02 PM   #18
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Re' 135 hub in 130 -- actually 131 -- dropouts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
If that metal was steel, I would concur, but being that it is aluminum (with some trace amount of scandium in the alloy), I would be extremely cautious.
I did not attempt to modify the hub or the frame.
A slight push with the thumb, and the hub drops right in.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:29 PM   #19
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Pictures will be posted soon.
*Ended up building it on a used RedLine cyclocross frame -- powder coated a brilliant
pink\cherry color. Used frame came with RedLine CF fork.
*Pink "DeepVee" wheels. Black spokes, 32 front, 36 rear.
*Truvativ single speed Stylo crank with 32 tooth sprocket and ext. bearing bottom bracket
*"Singulator" chain tensioner.
*Cane Creek headset.
*Converted from cantilever to "V" brakes with a complete Cannondale set of shoes, calipers, cables and handles for $29 on Ebay,
*CF flatbars, stem and seat post. Bar ends for $4 from some bike dude's yard sale.
*Pinstriped in lime green.
*Specialized Jett BG titanium/cf "women's" saddle.
*Michelin 700cx32 "City" front tire, Armadillo "Nimbus" 700cx35 rear tire.
*Last but NOT least: Shimano Alfine 11-speed internally geared hub.

When the weather here was nice and warm I came down with a sore throat and
cold. Now that I am getting over that, it got most unseasonably cold for Texas. Can't win! I haven't ridden it nearly as much as I would like to. So far I am blown away by how it shifts and how quiet it is. I rode it in to work one AM and my time was less than my best, but I hadn't ridden or worked out for one week + and I was not\am not fully recovered so I blame the engine at this time.

Can't wait to shake it down properly -- maybe this weekend.

Don in Austin
Bike sounds great. Eager to hear what you think of the Shimano Alfine hub.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 10:43 PM   #20
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
Bike sounds great. Eager to hear what you think of the Shimano Alfine hub.
It is certainly nothing like a derailleur system! Most of the shifts are so quiet and smooth you wonder if the shift really happened. Once in a while there is a slight "clunk," but usually not.

Its pretty cool doing all your shifts from one control and being able to shift down at a red light. More on the upshifts than the down, there is sometimes a delay but its not for long. If you go down several steps while stopped you WILL be taking off in a lower gear. The shifter allows two shifts at a time by pushing the lever further. This is good for when the light turns red on you at the last minute and you are taking the left turn lane in heavy traffic and don't want to hold up the cars behind you.

The total range is 4.09 which is more than the 3x7 on my flatbar "road" bike.

The hub is heavy, but I lost a little weight with a lightweight 32 tooth crankset. Total weight of the bike is 24 lbs. The tires are not the lightest, but were selected primarily for comfort and alleged flat-resistant properties.

It is hard to tell if gear drag slows the bike down as I was out of commission with winter cold and sore throat for over a week + cold weather was not conducive to riding. If the gears slow the bike down, I don't think its by much. I will be running some veloway laps soon and see how it compares.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.