User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to get "Serious"?

Well, I finally broke down and went to a trainer. The only way my wife and I are going to be able to handle on our tandem the 6000' of climbing typical for most centuries around here is for me to get stronger. The trainer is an experienced cyclist and very familiar with the sorts of muscle imbalance issues that need to be dealt with. Trainer performed a pretty comprehensive evaluation: cardio, flexibility, strength, multiple caliper measurements, etc. The verdict: cardio was excellent, flexibility stunk and I need to drop some lbs and increase muscle density. Next step is to develop a weight program which will improve my overall muscle balance and, specifically, improve cycling strength.

I'm 65 and in a "use it or loose it" mode. At least I'll find out what I have left.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I'm 65 and in a "use it or loose it" mode.
    I'm going to join a wellness center and use a personal trainer as soon as I am able to eat solid food. Diagnosed with cancer in August. Went through surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Am still on a feeding tube and will be for the next few weeks.
    Was just a bit overweight but have lost from 188 lbs to 145 lbs so most of my muscle mass is gone. I weighed more than this my senior year in high school. This wellness center's focus in on recovering cancer patients so it looks like the best way to get back into shape. I've made some tentative plans for a few century rides and hope to do RAIN, but just don't know how quick the recovery will be at age 56.

Al

My Bikes
    83 Schwinn Le Tour, 2008 Giant Cypress DX, 2009.5 DownTube 8H, 2011 Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you! Please keep us post on your progress.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek Al,
    Man that is sheer courage after all you have been through. All of the cancer survivors here give me a tremendous amount of inspiration to get back into things on my bicycle. I had IV nourishment for 7 months last year, nothing compared to your battle.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek Al View Post
    the recovery will be at age 56.

Al
    Wow. I'm 56! Your note is a sure wake up call to grab ahold of life and live it.
    I hope you have a full recovery and complete some of your cycling dreams.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    The trainer is an experienced cyclist and very familiar with the sorts of muscle imbalance issues that need to be dealt with.
    Sounds great - how did you find such a trainer?

Trek Al - good luck with your goals too!
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick and Al,
    Great for both of you. Go for it and keep us updated. Real interested in hearing more about the training program and gains you make.
    Keep rolling.
    Larry

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done you guys. Don't forget the best revenge to to outlive the b*s***ds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may have mis-read the post, but I don't think you indicated that you and your wife both are working with the trainer. I would think with a tandem with would be very important! If you are both involved with the trainer, how did she measure up?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God be with you in your endeavors.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meet with my trainer for the first time tomorrow. She has a cycling background from competing in several Ironman competitions. We'll concentrate on core, flexibility and strength as it relates to cycling needs. I don't expect any direct cycling coaching in the beginning.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been serious for too long now.

I used to do a hard ride on the Tandem in June each year. 100 miles and 10,000ft of climbing in one day.

Training started seriously in february down at the gym twice a week. 1 hours Cardio Vascular- 10 minutes on 6 exercise machines and started off at a fairly low level. Just went up by one level each week till at a month before the event I was at level 16/20 and sweating buckets after 5 minutes. By this time we were also doing a couple of 30 miles rides in the evening and when we got to an average of 12mph for those rides- we knew we were ready. We were also doing a metric each sunday aswell and some took in hills and some were flat rides at speed. We even managed a couple of Flattish road centurys aswell.

Also did some time in the weights room but this was for building up the leg muscles and keeping the upper body flexible. Best bit though was the Curry after the training as we had to replace all the carbs lost.

So book some time with the PT aswell as you are going to hurt for the next few months. If not- then you will fail as we did in 2006

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ns-Way-failure
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I may have mis-read the post, but I don't think you indicated that you and your wife both are working with the trainer. I would think with a tandem with would be very important! If you are both involved with the trainer, how did she measure up?
    My wife has also joined a gym and has a significant athletic background, but is not interested in the structure afforded by a trainer. Her training will consist of the increasingly tougher climbs that we will be doing this spring. Part of the zen of a tandem is being at peace with what your partner contributes. If I can get stronger we'll share in the enjoyment and challenge of longer, tougher rides and the additional opportunity to eat at rest stops

I don't believe it's advisable to a)inquire as to your stoker's weight, b)ask stoker to wear a HR monitor, etc. I once posed the innocent inquiry, "What's happening back there?": not a good idea. Of course racier, younger folk have trainers, work out and kick serious single butt. But as a point of reference when we were (much) younger stoker trained our 10 y/o twins and we completed a 400 mile ride in 4 days (on singles).
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ascended to Level 1 - carefully trained in 10 different weight machine exercises with associated stretches (to be done after every set). My biggest challenge is finding the darn machines in the sea of apparatus at the Gold's Gym. I may resort to taking pictures. I am using the machines in what I refer to as the "old persons'" configuration; they ought to label the stack of weights with a range from olympic to decrepit. I'm one notch above the latter. I'll get retrained in a month or so, correcting all my bad habits and getting a few more exercises for my soon-to-be massive legs.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture