User Tag List

My Bikes
    Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride your age.......

So if i do a century 4 days before my 53rd birthday will that count or do i have to take the day off and do another 53?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime after your birthday will do for the age ride. The century will qualify for your 52nd birthday ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Anytime after your birthday will do for the age ride. The century will qualify for your 52nd birthday ride.
    TJClay, BD, is a hard man!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    TJClay, BD, is a hard man!
    How so? I'm just saying he doesn't have to take the day off from work. He can do it anytime after he turns 53.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It counts, do an extra 5 miles and count both birthdays all in one day.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure that if it is reasonably close, it counts. I do the same thing by doing the Horrible Hundred which is before my birthday. On things like this, I figure that the user gets to define.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it counts if it is reasonably close. Reasonably would be 5-7 days before or after your birthday. ( I can always get my bd off work either)

My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning on riding my age this year, only on my half-birthday. With a December b-day, the weather pretty much sucks around this neck of the woods for any long ride. I'll go a mile over so I dont get a guilty feeling. I intended to do that last year, but getting a house ready to put on the market shot that idea. Only one house to take care of now!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    On things like this, I figure that the user gets to define.
    Absolutely! Every ride mentioned in this thread is an accomplishment worthy of celebration. We each get to decide what and how to celebrate.

For me, the age ride is simply a ritual I have set for myself to ride my age or more either on my birthday or as soon as practical afterward. So far at least, riding the distance is not a problem and I will surpass the distance several times during the year. I am fortunate that October is prime riding time where I live, so good riding weather is usually there on or soon after my birthday. Since my ritual is to ride my age or more, it doesn't make sense for me to celebrate riding an age I have not yet achieved. That would feel like cheating or forcing it. The first time I ride my age in miles after my birthday arrives is the one I celebrate in that way.

Last year I was out of town at a meeting on my birthday, so I rode a metric century the week after. I had ridden an organized metric century the week before, which was a great ride, but it wasn't my age ride.

Do what makes you happy.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you are 50+
    if you ride it 4 days before there is a chance you won't remember you rode your age by your birthday

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about 72 birthday century ride.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not in shape to ride the 49 miler I owed myself on Jan 3rd. Now, one of my riding buddies has invited me to join him to ride his 62 mile birthday ride in early Feb. They're taking a lunch break in the middle. I told him I'll join up for the second half. Building up to do the 50 next Jan and have it be anti-climactic the day I become official in this forum.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Riding my age gets harder and harder each year, particularly since my birthday falls in January. I turned 57 this week, and I'm not sure I'll make it this year with the cold winter we are having. I did ride 46 miles last Sunday, but that was tough with a lot of black ice still on the roads. Weather is not looking too promising this coming weekend either, with highs in the 30s forecasted. Perhaps I'll make it by the end of the month.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStr View Post
    I'm still not in shape to ride the 49 miler I owed myself on Jan 3rd. Now, one of my riding buddies has invited me to join him to ride his 62 mile birthday ride in early Feb. They're taking a lunch break in the middle. I told him I'll join up for the second half. Building up to do the 50 next Jan and have it be anti-climactic the day I become official in this forum.
    That's a great goal! You know, if you do ride half of the 62 mile ride, you will have ridden your age in kilometers.

My Bikes
    Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Gunnar Crosshairs, De Bernardi SL
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally got in my birthday ride yesterday -- at 61 miles, about 4 miles farther than I needed. I guess that makes up for being 11 days late. With a January birthday, riding your age in miles is always a challenge, plus the target goes up every year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
    Finally got in my birthday ride yesterday -- at 61 miles, about 4 miles farther than I needed. I guess that makes up for being 11 days late. With a January birthday, riding your age in miles is always a challenge, plus the target goes up every year.
    Better late than never. Congratulations.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, it's getting harder all the time. I'm dreading the 71 miles this year, may not be able to make the 80 year ride. Is it cheating to ride half, take a nap, and ride the other half?