Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday's ride from Duarte to the Snow, San Gabriel Mountains

Since this is the off season, a few of us got together for a short ride in the San Gabriel Mountains. Our Ride Leader was the Very Famous (around here, anyway) Vertical Bob. He knows the mountain roads like the proverbial back of his hand, maybe better. I think V.Bob is 62 or thereabouts.

Also joining us was Bob's friend Laura, who is a tad over 50 (not much), and is a very strong climber, great conversationalist, and middle school teacher since she got out of the Marines. In addition to V.Bob and Laura, we were joined by Laura's friend J.J. and my friends (new to V.Bob and Laura), Lou Ann (not quite 50), and her boss at the U.S. Postal Service, Gerry (right at 59, I think).

Plus, I did bring my camera, since I know how you (all) are, i.e. if there aren't any photos, it didn't really happen. I will attempt to get the photos in order!

This is Vertical Bob at the East Fork and Hwy 39 Junction. Looking away from the camera is Lou Ann.

Same location, Laura in foreground, Gerry in the background. Lou Ann cut off on the left. Sorry Lou!

A better shot of Lou Ann, here talking with Laura

This is a fresh water Spring, and a mini-waterfall where we stopped to fill our bottles. Very cold, very good water. V.Bob says it's even better on a hot summer day.

Laura on the left, J.J. on the right, in front of the Spring.

Me on the right, Laura on the left, same location. I thought Laura was taller than me, but not according to this photo!

Lou Ann filling her water bottle at the Spring. She may not like this angle though . . .

Jerry filling his bottle at the Spring; probably a better angle for the photo!

Above the Spring now, V.Bob in the foreground, Laura way out front. Note mountain scenery.

Close up of Lou Ann, enjoying the view and loving the climb.

Okay, 10 is max photos for one post. Will add to this later. Overall the climb started out fairly easy, but then got to some steeper parts. Elevation total was 8,300 feet in 56 miles. Lovely day though, great scenery and no cars past the barricade.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-18-11 at 08:44 AM.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Since this is the off season, ...

Overall the climb started out fairly easy, but then got to some steeper parts. Elevation total was 8,300 feet in 56 miles. ...
    Wow, 148 ft/mi, that's pretty respectable for off season. Thanks for sharing the ride.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here are the rest of the photos. for some reason either photobucket or bikeforums is cutting off the right side of all the photos . . . don't know why. Sorry about that though.

Moving right along, the next photo shows Lou Ann, Laura and Gerry coming up to the Crystal Lake Junction. You can kind of see how steep it is here.

Laura in the foreground, mountains with snow in the background. Our goal was to ride up until we were stopped by snow. As you can see, still quite a ways to climb.

Here is a view over the side. If we looked down, it looked like we'd already climbed quite a ways up. Getting up above 4,000 feet here, maybe a bit higher.

Here we are at snow level. Laura and I got there first (okay, she was about 1/4 mi. before me), and we tried to walk to the next sunny bit of road, hoping the snow would have melted, but when we got there we could see another unbroken snowfield in our proposed path. So . . . we walked back over the snow and ice. I slipped and fell, Laura didn't.

Here is Gerry, happy to be getting out of the snow. It was cold up there too, low 50 degrees F. Windy in places too.

Happy Cyclists, playing in the snow. Okay, not really, but it was fun reaching our goal after so much climbing.

We headed back down and about 2 mi. below the snow we found a nice warm bit of smooth pavement and decided to stop and have a picnic. This amounted to sharing what food each of us had in our jersey pockets, but with Gerry's assorted nuts, Laura's peanut butter pretzels (I'd never even heard of those before), some Clif bars and Hammer Gels, it was a fine lunch and a bit of relaxation after all the climbing and before the long descent. Lou Ann took this photo of me soaking up the sun.

Speaking of the descent, here's one photo that shows part of it. As you can see, the pavement was far from perfect, but this road is not maintained, so this is the price we pay for the luxury of no motor traffic.

Finally, another shot over the edge of the roadway on the way down gives you an idea how much fun the descent was. However, my top speed was just over 40 mph due to the many corners.

All together a fun day. Any questions?

Rick / OCRR

Oh, just discovered horizontal scroll tab at the bottom, so use that to view the entire photo(s).
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-17-11 at 08:50 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I needed that. Too much cold and snow around here recently.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    psssst, Rick, Bob's about 5 years younger than that.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Thanks big john, I will amend my original post. I did say "thereabouts" though. Guess you're familiar with the road!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, and thanks for showing that, yes Virginia, it really does snow in southern California. We can ride to the snow, or to the beach, and everywhere in between. Ah, SoCal!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Rick. Thanks for the pics. We saw snow on the mountains when we were in LA between Christmas and New Years.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to put up all these pictures with descriptions Rick. What great mountain views and you had the place all to yourselves . . love it . . kids on an adventure! My favorite pic was the one of Laura walking her bike on that thick ice! Glad you didn't get hurt when you fell.
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rick, you got some pretty riding country out that way. Thanks for the tour.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare Feet View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put up all these pictures with descriptions Rick. What great mountain views and you had the place all to yourselves . . love it . . kids on an adventure! My favorite pic was the one of Laura walking her bike on that thick ice! Glad you didn't get hurt when you fell.
    Yes Bare Feet, Kids on an adventure indeed (kinda old kids, but whatever!). I was going close to zero mph when I fell, so no damage; but wow that ice is slippery!

Hermes, you should have taken a ride up the mountain to the snow when you were in SoCal!

Yen, Yes, we are living in a wonderful part of the world for cycling! Too much traffic in the city, but none up on upper Hwy 39!

Here is the data on this ride from the Garmin 800 my wife gave me for Christmas:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63591070

Not totally sure what I'm doing with the Garmin, yet, so please advise if I have some of the data in the wrong place or whatever.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic pictures and narrative, Rick. As I sit here at work, they are causing me to think that a sick day might be in my near future. Especially while the temps stay in the 70s and the mountains beckon.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcq View Post
    Fantastic pictures and narrative, Rick. As I sit here at work, they are causing me to think that a sick day might be in my near future. Especially while the temps stay in the 70s and the mountains beckon.
    Very True pmcq, And since you're in Claremont, you're right there! No long drive to the start for you!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode at the LA Velodrome Home Depot Center... indoors.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rick, that ride is up towards Dawson's Saddle? Is that correct. I know when I rode out there we turned at that bridge in the first few pics towards GMR and then up to Baldy Village. Nice ride, very envious.

On the Garmin 800, it might be more accurate to turn the elevation correction off in Garmin Connect. That might drop the total climbing a bit but it appears to have added some jitter to the profile.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick,

I see that Jerry is wearing 2XU cycling shorts. That is the first pair I have seen. I have compression tights I wear for after the ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Hey Rick, that ride is up towards Dawson's Saddle? Is that correct? On the Garmin 800, it might be more accurate to turn the elevation correction off in Garmin Connect.
    Yes BikeWNC, That is correct! We couldn't get to CA Hwy 2, and we are guessing we were about a mile away. If we had gotten to Hwy 2, taken a right turn and ridden up 7 more miles we could have gotten to Dawson Saddle (just a tad shy of 8,000 feet of elevation there).

Okay, thanks, I'll turn off the Elevation Correction; thanks for the tip. Still early on my learning curve for the Garmin!

Hermes, I'm not familiar with 2XU shorts, but a quick Google-it search indicates they are for triathlons. Will have to ask Jerry how he likes them!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it hadn't been for the 72* temp here at my computer I think I would have felt like I was on that ride. Thanks for the pictures and the description. It was fabulous.
    SloSpoke Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, Rick. Must have been a great ride!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Work, Rick! It certainly looks like a great adventure.

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great pictures and it looks like a great ride. I am on my trainer looking at out my window at 8 inches of snow. I am cross country skiing. But I am very jealous!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the positive comments everyone; happy to hear that you enjoyed the photos!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos, I really enjoyed that.

You all look so healthy and happy. Of course that will change once the giardia kicks in.

But seriously, I've had that and it's no fun:

...the protozoan can get into even the most remote sources of water, such as a stream issuing from a glacier. Giardia can survive in snow through the winter and in cold water...
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I wish. 62 was last years age, I'm still growing up. Thanks Rick for putting those up. I love going up there in the winter. It's always an adventure.Your elevation seems a little high. I got 8900 and we did Little GMR, ugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast