Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bit the slush this morning.

Sorry no pictures; this will have to do.

Starting my commute this morning I knew the ride was going to be tricky. It had snowed about three inches and then the temperatures came up to the borderline freezing level. So, there was freezing rain on top of the snow. It looks pretty and, it was actually kind of neat to hear the crunching of the ice/snow combo as my tires pushed through it. What I didn't expect was to go down at the first corner from my house. I hit a patch with some hidden ice below the snow and I was cutting the corner too tight for even my studded tires to hold on. I went down on my left side straight into about 8 inches of water and slush. The darn storm drain was blocked up creating a tiny little pond. I never came out of pedals until I landed and deliberately unclipped. Fortunately, I didn't injure anything but my pride. I did get an idea for what it must be like to be in the Polar Bear Club. I was soaked to the bone, and it was COLD. So, instead of riding that way for the next 30 to 40 minutes, I headed back to the house. Just got out of the hot shower (aaahhhhh that felt good). So, I guess I'll have to slow it down and take my corners a bit more carefully from now on. Whoever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks, doesn't know the power of the negative reinforcment form of operant conditioning.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad your not hurt.

How does the weather look for the rest of the week?

Michael

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I'm glad your not hurt.

How does the weather look for the rest of the week?

Michael
    They're saying it will get into the upper 30s with rain on and off for the next two days. Then it will drop back down to highs in the 20s with no rain but clouds. If the rain and temperature do their job today, I'll be able to ride in on Thursday. My brother-in-law is coming in from out of town and we're planning on lunch together tomorrow. So, no commuting by bike then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LUCKY YOU were close to home! Would've been a much more miserable story if it happened at the midway point. This makes me wonder if regular pedals would be safer under the conditions; to get a foot down to catch your balance before a fall.

Glad you're okay!
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare Feet View Post
    LUCKY YOU were close to home! Would've been a much more miserable story if it happened at the midway point. This makes me wonder if regular pedals would be safer under the conditions; to get a foot down to catch your balance before a fall.

Glad you're okay!
    Oh, I don't know, on the way down I was thinking, I'm doing a pretty good Artie Johnson imitation.

My Bikes
    ritcheys{2** rm blizzard Geo elrick drop frame and acollection of parts bikes in waiting
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a beatles moment ,Ibit the slush today ,oh boy.Idid'nt notice that the lights had changed. Cuidado! Bicycle,bicycle,I want to ride my bicycle.Freddy Mercury. Take some time go,pick up a book ,Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a brave soul
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps that blocked storm drain saved your collarbone. Do you think you would have been injured if you'd fallen onto dry pavement? Maybe a thank you note to public works would be in order.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Perhaps that blocked storm drain saved your collarbone. Do you think you would have been injured if you'd fallen onto dry pavement? Maybe a thank you note to public works would be in order.
    No, with all the layers I had on, I was padded pretty well. I might have chewed up some of the outer layers on the pavement, but I looked like the Michelin Man.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For studded tires to work best, they need hard solid ice to stick into. If the ice is soft they are not as good. If it is just snow they don't help. In any case, keep the bike straight up all the time, even on corners.
    Glad you're OK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't chance a road bike in ICE conditions but for the past few years- Have got the MTB out on the hills when it snows. Problem is the couple of miles of Asphalt before I get to the hard packed snow/ice/ slush where my skills will keep me upright. But knobbly tyres and riding carefully doesn't work when the rider in front falls on the 2" thick ice.

FALL.jpg

Well it does till you start laughing at him.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the continuing "problems" I have with riding over deep rutted frozen ice is, a long way off another rider will see me, and then try it without studs. The last time I tried to get close enough for the other guy to hear me yell, but he rode on the ice trying to get close enough to hear me. ........oops
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better to bite the slush than bite the dust!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another one of the thrills of Winter riding.

When folks ask me if I'm afraid of falling on the snow and ice I just tell them that I consider falling goes hand in hand with Winter riding.

Glad you were close to shelter when you went down.